PLEASE help with calling

I'm new to this and have some questions about calling.

what kind of calls should i use? just plain old cottontail in distress?

when should i use coyote howling calls?

can you use these one right after another or should you only use ONE CALL for a particular setup in order to not confuse them?

duration of calls and how often? 5 minutes, then stop for 10-15? call for 10 min? i have no clue about this.

Thanks in advance!

Also: Partner is trigger happy

My hunting partner has got this new call and seems to be trigger happy with it. He was wanting to go around calling while driving to see if we could get a response. I told him I didn't think it was a good idea and we'd probably end up screwing ourselves over permanantly with that particualr call.

if they locate you while using a particular call does it mean that your chances are pretty much shot for that area with that call for good?

kycountryboy

6 pointer
Dec 30, 2008
columbia,ky
Not real sure but calling from the road probally illegal after all its illegal to shoot from a vechicle. U can use any distress call,everyone does it differently as far as how long they call. Some people call constantly others break it up.

CSS archer

BBBC Members
Dec 13, 2001
Central KY
Coyotes are sharp and can quickly associate a sound with man. My experience has been a coyote that vocalizes back at my call has already got me busted.. either because they know the sound or have heard/smelled me...

Rabbit distress is always good... food... cold... hunger = response.. Howls work well, if they sound like coyotes.. especially for the next month or so... I howl better with my voice than I do a call.. except an e-call :)

Coyotes are sharp and can quickly associate a sound with man. My experience has been a coyote that vocalizes back at my call has already got me busted.. either because they know the sound or have heard/smelled me...

Rabbit distress is always good... food... cold... hunger = response.. Howls work well, if they sound like coyotes.. especially for the next month or so... I howl better with my voice than I do a call.. except an e-call :)
thanks for the tip on the howls

Palegroe

Spike
Dec 18, 2008
Corydon, Kentucy
I have learnt to spend more time scouting than calling and your success rate will go up. Instead of driving around calling go to a farm you have permission to hunt and walk it looking for scat and tracks. On the calls I use a little bit of everything fawn in distress, cottontail, jackrabbit, cats, pupps and howls. I don't like hunting the same place more often than about every two weeks or more and I wouldn't worry about the ones that locate you as long as you are packing them out with you I would worry about the ones you didn't see that located you.

Latest posts