Please Explain The Point?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by gobblergetter, May 21, 2008.

1. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    I've been fishing this private pond/lake (5 acres) since I was a kid. It is by far the best pond I've ever fished. The owner now gave control of approx. 1000 acres (including this pond) to a 2nd cousin of mine who watches over it for the owner in return for free reign over the property. What I would like explained is this. Yesterday went to fish this pond and the guy in control (2nd cousin) said a friend of his took 50 2lb bass out of there this year for a fish fry. I don't get it. I used to catch fish all day long out of this pond anywhere from 1 1/2 to 6 or 7 lb. Yesterday I went and caught 3/4 lb'ers. I've never kept a bass in my life unless it for some reason died when I caught it even 6-7 lb'ers. Why would you keep 50 2lb bass out of a lake? Somebody please explain it to me.

2. JasonGoneFishing

JasonGoneFishing 12 pointer

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
    Because some fisherman are greedy/under educated and don't know the impact they cause to a lake when they over fish. Eating fish is good and can make a healthy lake/pond but overfishing will kill a pond/lake. Those guys just care about themselves. I RARELY keep anything and if I did its because the fish swallowed the hook or its a mounter and depending on the fish and location of the pond/lake, I would get a replica. Its just like those fisherman that find a hybrid bluegill lake. They have no idea that hybrids lay 98%-99% all males, and 2%-1% females. So they keep all the hybrids including females each time they go to the pond. So eventually, over time, even as little as a year, the population is very small. You got to think about other predators like birds, turtles, catfish, etc that eat them also. And the sad thing is you really cant do anything about it and if you tell them, they usually ignore you. :mad:

3. Zeb

Zeb 8 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    That's a shame... Similar thing happened at a lake close to my house two years ago. A guy that lives on the lake had slowly stocked the lake over a long time and the fishing had become great. Was a convenient "after work lake" and the action was enough to keep the kids interested. Most practiced catch and release except for the occassional bluegill / shellcracker fish fry. Three teenage boys severely damaged the lake in about two weeks. Not sure why but they kept everything that they caught. Competition, ignorance, just a phase, mad at the other fishermen telling them not to keep the little bass???? Who knows.... but they ruined a good thing. Don't get me wrong- happy to see kids fishing but I considered this behavior no different than any other kind of vandalism.

4. BOBCAT

BOBCAT 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2004
    MADISONVILLE, KY, USA.
    FISH FRY !!!!!!!!!!!! you bass fishermen kill me about keeping fish, now I don't agree with the numbers you've posted, there is nothing wrong with keeping fish to eat as long as you do not exceed the limits posted by the KDFWR. also, if I keep fish to eat, a 2 pounder is about the right size to fry, anything much bigger should be put back to become a breeder / trophy fish. again thats just my opinion....I'm sure some will dis-agree

5. JasonGoneFishing

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
    I'ts not about the number KDFWR posts. It should be based by the angler per lake. I agree that taking some fish to eat is awesome and I do the same thing usually when I have a fishing partner. But that many bass is excessive. *Selective Harvesting*;)

6. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Talk to a fisheries biologist. Adhering to strictly catch and release is not good for a closed loop system like a pond. Several years of that winds up with nothing but..... 3/4 pound fish.

50 bass a year isn't a drop in the bucket for a 5 acre lake.

What happened to all of those 1 1/2, 6 & 7 pounders if they kept only 2 pounders?

They're still out there. There's just more for them to eat and they'll be even bigger with the removal of the competition.

7. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana

That is the only thing I could think of also. However, if they've told me about keeping 50 2lb'ers, how many 4-5-6-7's did they keep or transport to their own ponds? What about the rest of the year or next year? I just know that the fishing in that lake used to be awesome and now it's not. We caught 15 out of it last yesterday and had another 15 or so hooked. None would've gone 2 lbs or up.

I agree it shouldn't be the fish per angler per day, it should be the fish per angler per pond per year. If they catch 10 every day and keep 10 every day for 2 weeks, that IMO severly damages the pop and fishing for everyone else.

Another point I guess is that he told me a healthy 1 acre lake/pond should have 600 fish. With that math this lake should have 3000. Does this sound right?

8. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    No idea on the number of fish per acre. I've heard that number at some point but I can't remember what it is.

The fish per person per pond scenario is unenforceable. I can't even begin to imagine how that could be managed.

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    It all comes down to the owner's wishes. If you don't own it, nothing you can do as long as they aren't breaking KDFWR creel limits.

10. JasonGoneFishing

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky

I was basing that one the fishermans common sense factor ;)

11. longtimegone

longtimegone 6 pointer

Aug 26, 2007
    DC
    If its a fully stocked 5 acre lake that shouldnt have that dramatic of an effect. The question is how many other fish has the guy taken...and everyone else that fishes the lake.

12. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    Oh I agree. It in no way enforceable. Ethicly speaking is what I meant. And trustme is right too. I don't own it so that sucks for me:( I can't control that lake but I do own a pond adjoining to this property and I just wonder what he's catchin and keeping from our lake. I have no way to monitor that either.

I just get frustrated cause I've never (even when i was a teen) kept a bass unless it died so that others could catch them later etc. Sorry to vent on the forum. I just don't understand people sometimes.

P.S. He (his employees) also shot 43 doe's and 5 buttons this past deer season and have stands on the edge of three sides of my property. Frustrtaing is all.

13. Bray

Bray 10 pointer

Jan 29, 2002
    The Interwebs
    If you go to a pond that has never had anything kept from it you will find most of the fish stunted. Just because you go to a pond 1 time and don't catch anything over 2lbs doesn't mean the pond is ruined. If I caught 5,6,7lb fish everytime I fished someplace with them in it I wouldn't be here now. I am a catch and release fisherman when it comes to bass but every year I have someone come in and keep some from our ponds inorder to maintain it for "trophy" bass. Just my .02

14. Luckybuck

Luckybuck 10 pointer

May 29, 2006
    N. KY
    ..........................a population of fish will rebound as long as there are a couple breeders left. I have seen many ponds drained where the owner "knew" there was nothing left only to find about a dozen bass over 5 pounds left when the drains were opened.
    Whatever fish are left will be able to feed and grow very large. If they do manage to catch them all, the good news is that they won't be able to make you mad anymore because they will not be fishing either.

15. CTFSHWHISKER

CTFSHWHISKER Spike

Feb 1, 2008
    there is an article in ky afield mag about this subject on the big lakes .i am an avid basser but do keep some from time to time.unless they are sneeking more out the lake shouldn't be hurt,to keep a good fishery you need to keep some and not always little ones,if you keep all small ones you end up with a brood class of hawgs that will die off,something some bassers don't seem to get,they don't live forever even if you throw em back.then you will not have a balanced system.ever go to a big lake like nolin or even ky at a tournament and hear most say they caught a ton from 14"-141\2 and no big ones one day then the a few days later see a tournament have multiple limits of good keepers?with it being spawning season the big females may be to busy to eat keep fishing to see what happens,try some big live shiners,they will tell you what is in there still.