Planting corn

invasion36

10 pointer
Aug 29, 2013
Kenton Co
Last few years I have planted beans and they have done great. This year I want to put out corn. I always broadcast my beans but with the price of round up ready corn I hate to waist seed. Anyone ever use one of those Earthway hand push planters? Trying to decide if it’s worth my time to plant in rows with one of those or just broadcast. I have just over an acre.

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
That could be done but will take a while and some work. Rows is best for spraying and leaves paths through your field for deer to follow.
One problem you may have is seed corn size that will drop through the holes in that seeder.
Another is corn type, Short corn or tall corn. I grow silage corn and it gets tall and deer seem to really like it.

Mt Pokt

8 pointer
Nov 8, 2018
Campbell County
Last few years I have planted beans and they have done great. This year I want to put out corn. I always broadcast my beans but with the price of round up ready corn I hate to waist seed. Anyone ever use one of those Earthway hand push planters? Trying to decide if it’s worth my time to plant in rows with one of those or just broadcast. I have just over an acre.
I use one. In clean tilled dirt it does very well. If you just mow, the "plow" will be constantly hung up and it'll be furiously frustrating. Of course, you could set it so that part doesn't touch the ground and it just drops seeds as you go, I suppose.

bbfky10ga

Fawn
Jul 27, 2004
I have planted sweet corn with one and it is a lot of work. dirt has to be filled perfect. If you have a tractor and a grader box you could drop a tine and dig a row and drop the seed then cover it that would be faster than the earthway. I don’t think broadcasting corn would do very good easier to spray in rows and pollinates better

invasion36

10 pointer
Aug 29, 2013
Kenton Co
I use one. In clean tilled dirt it does very well. If you just mow, the "plow" will be constantly hung up and it'll be furiously frustrating. Of course, you could set it so that part doesn't touch the ground and it just drops seeds as you go, I
I have planted sweet corn with one and it is a lot of work. dirt has to be filled perfect. If you have a tractor and a grader box you could drop a tine and dig a row and drop the seed then cover it that would be faster than the earthway. I don’t think broadcasting corn would do very good easier to spray in rows and pollinates better
I do have a grader box. This is what I will do. Thank you. I will update when finished.

mwezell

12 pointer
Jan 22, 2006
Auburn, KY
Seed depth is pretty critical with corn. If you don't get it deep enough, it doesn't develop a strong root system and will literally fall over. Get it too deep and germination rate falls. But I would rather have that than broadcast seed that won't stand up in a little wind, once it gets tall enough and no "foundation" under it. Just my 2 cents.

invasion36

10 pointer
Aug 29, 2013
Kenton Co
I used my box scraper to make rows. It looked pretty good. Had nice long rows. My son and daughter 20 and 17 started dropping seeds while I finished on the tractor. I started right behind them and after 45 minutes dropping seed every 8-10” apart and doing 3 rows at a time, I gave up. Lol it was Hot on Monday so I just broadcasted the seed. I know corn likes to not be too crowded so I plan on taking a push mower or weed whacker and making my rows that way if need be. I’ll post pics later when it’s germinated

Latest posts