Pizza dough for Chicago style deep dish

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by east_ky_hunter, Jan 1, 2021.

1. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    East Ky
    I could eat my fat boy weight in Chicago style deep dish with italian sausage on the bottom, tons of cheese in the middle and sauce/fresh grated parmesan on on top. I used to get the premade pizza dough balls from the deli when I lived in Nashville and form it in a deep cast iron skillet lathered in butter. I can't find those anymore since I moved back to the sticks of eky, so I've been thinking about getting the yeast online and trying it.

Any recommendations on yeast, preparations or recipes?

2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I like my pizza deep too, and supreme.
    [​IMG]
    This is my dough recipe. It can be used right away, but after three or four days fermentation in the fridge it's best.
    6 cups of bread flour
    2 cups of warm water
    6 T olive oil
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp yeast
    6 tsp sugar
    Mix dry ingredients in a mixer with a dough hook, then add wet ingredients. Let the dough mix for 10 minutes. It should be clearing the sides of the bowl, but attached to the bottom. Add a little flour, or water to achieve this. Remove, and divide the dough into 4 pieces after mixing. I put my dough balls in greased quart bags and straight into the fridge for a few days before using. But a ball can be punched down and used after the first rise.

3. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    If you make it often, pinch off some of the dough and keep it. Then next time you make it, leave the yeast out and throw the pinched dough in. That's called a biga and is what they do in Italy. It's basically a sourdough starter, but not exactly. It's also kind of a shortcut to Barney's fermentation. A long fermentation will definitely give the best flavor, but using a biga will give better flavor than fresh dough.

4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've never tried it, but some swear that using beer for the liquid in pizza dough gives the crust an instant fermented flavor.

ptbrauch, bondhu and drakeshooter like this.
  5. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    The last few I've fixed have been beer bread crust. Very simple and as good or better than anything I've ever had.

barney and drakeshooter like this.