Pitino

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by EC, Jun 15, 2017.

1. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    So this dimwit and UNC suck up is trying to say the UNC deal is outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA?? LOLOLOL!! Pathetic argument and obvious bias.

If its not an NCAA case, then why even comply with their little "rules"?? What good are they?

2. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    UNC is proclaiming the NCAA has no jurisdiction on what the academic curriculum should be taught at their school. They've given out punishment for low GPA in real classes but the Tarholes want us to believe fake classes are out of their reach and should mind their own business. Even if the cheats survive this, the school loses any respectability they may have had. Their fans are in denial and as arrogant as ever. They still want to believe in the Carolina Way but everyone outside of the state sees them for what they are.

3. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Then why does the NCAA have jurisdiction on academic qualifications to even get into school? Why worry about the ACT/SAT?? The NCAA should recognize and sanction a UNC Finger Painting major--specifically for UNC basketball players. More NCAA hypocrisy and BS.

4. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    UL's punishment is appropriate. I've never seen a case - at any level from Little League to High School to College to the Olympic Games - where a team didn't have to forfeit all games when it was found that an ineligible player participated. Illegal recruiting and improper benefits to recruits and players render them ineligible.

In my opinion, Petino got off easy. Based on what I've read about him he is such a micro-manager and such an intemperate person that I can't believe that someone at Andre McGee's level would dare do something so risky without consulting him. To me, the risk/reward equation simply does not make sense from McGee's perspective. Look at the risk (and personal expense) he allegedly took - and what did he have to gain?

With regard to the North Carolina case, I have a question. Would any of the athletes who took the bogus class have been ineligible for participation due to low grades if they hadn't taken the class?

5. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Well it was reported some of the athletes read at a grade school level. So I'd guess it would be hard for them to grasp college level material. These classes were gpa boosters to keep many of them eligible. It's so vast and widespread that I believe the NCAA is afraid to tackle it. Plus they don't have the guts to do what really needs to be done.

Nock and JR in KY like this.
  6. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    This is the Key detail.
    It is going on at just about All universities to keep the Big Dumb Guy's playing.
    They are given test booklets already filled out, special classes and just general cheating in academics.

I was a college student at EKU many years ago and it was going on then,.
    The basketball team had a Big Dumb Guy at center. He could barely read and write certainly Not at 8th grade level. The instructor seated him behind a female student who was to let him Copy her answers..... Time came for papers to be graded...
    HE didn't have one, but the girl had 2 answer sheets. Old boy had actually copied the Girls name down on his Answer sheet.
    True Story. Grad assistant who graded papers was my roommate.

7. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I'm sure we have many levels of cheating for athletes. Nothing this widespread and blatant however. These were totally fake classes set up specifically to keep them eligible for two decades. Not just a guy copying answers. It had to be known by professors, administrators, and coaches. They all are in it together. The entire school now has no credibility. We've seen the NCAA go after schools for a single player breaking rules and take away wins and scholarships yet this case is so big that we don't even have anything to compare it to.

The only way to solve this is to stop pretending these are student athletes and give them a pay check.

bondhu likes this.
  8. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    The risk was having sex with the women provided. Have you seen them?

9. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    I'm being told the UNC thing will likely never happen for one big reason... It would effect the entire college's accreditation. Meaning the school would lose their accreditation for that time period and that would effect more than just the athletes. It would nullify other students' degrees. Even in professional fields such as engineering, doctors, pharmacy, teachers, law school students, etc. Folks who had to have schooling to take professional exams and who have long-since been practicing their profession may suddenly have invalid credentials. :eek: So, to stay out of extreme litigation and such, it's not likely to ever go anywhere.

10. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    But the NCAA doesn't do accreditations. They only oversee the athletics. Athletics have no bearing on accreditation of a university. With or without the NCAA, the accreditation of UNC could be affected. Heck, they threatened to pull UofL's accreditation because Gov. Bevin disbanded the board--the same board who's audit just revealed a lot of shady dealings that could affect the university's accreditation.

11. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    But they do set standards and expectations on graduation rates, generally accepted educational principles and academic requirements.

Regardless, the NCAA with have a "philosophical" exemption (read:BS cover for them) for UNC. I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA came out and said, "well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on what UNC considers educational standards. Have a nice day".

12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    If UNC is not sanctioned in one form or another, the NCAA needs to be disbanded. All major universities should rally together and form a new governing body. The NCAA is a fraud and selectively enforces its often times ridiculous rules.

13. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville

Not exactly. There are three boards at the school. The most important one is the board of trustees. That is who Bevin tried to redo, turns out, a governor doesn't have that power in Kentucky. There is also the athletic board, which operates separately from board of trustees. That is the board that John Schnatter resigned from after he made false allegations about Jurich and was going to have to face him in person. Then there is the University Foundation, which is basically a fund raising arm. They operate separately, and they are the ones who got audited!

14. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville

Yeah, because Jay Bilas, a starter at Duke and a graduate of their law school, is a lover of UNC basketball! Smdh

15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Exactly. Bilas isn't too popular in Chapel Hill.

Tim T likes this.