Pistol Calibers

KYhunter79

12 pointer
Dec 11, 2003
Irvington, KY
I know this is something that is going to have as many different answers as people. But I just got rid of my CC gun (Springfield Champion 1911 .45) and I'm looking to buy a new one ASAP. I have pretty much decided on a Glock, that's not really up for debate. BUT, which caliber?

I've done a little research but what are your pro's and con's of these calibers? .357, .40, .45, and 10mm. I have/have had the first three. I know nothing about the 10mm. I like the .357 because I thought it was very accurate even over longer distances. I had it in a Ruger Blackhawk revolver with a longer barrel though so I don't know. I like the .40 because it's kind of an in between of a 9mm and a .45. I like the pure power of a .45 but I've shot a bunch and haven't been too impressed with the accuracy of them any further than 5 yards. My Springfield champion was a nice gun and not cheap at all but I feel like the powder to bullet weight ratio isn't good enough to be accurate at any distance. I want this as not only a self defense gun to carry but also to shoot for fun. The price of the .45 bullet really hindered that as well.

Any thoughts positive or negative or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

The only two other I would consider are a Ruger P series .45 or a Ruger SR40. Anyone have experience with those? I had a P89 9mm and it was excellent.

Ash12

10 pointer
Oct 21, 2007
Ill be the first to tell you that I do not know a ton about pistols but I have just about every major caliber except for .380 in many different models in some cases. With that being said I personally think the .45 is a lot of gun. JMO though.

HUNTINGMAN

12 pointer
Nov 7, 2008
Harrodsburg KY
Guy I work with has a glock 10mm and says shells are hard to find and when he doea find them they cost an arm and a leg. I personally like the 40 cal in a semi auto,like you said,it's in between the 9mm and the 45. It's not to big but not to small either.

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
I think you're saying that you like the 357 magnum that you shot in a revolver, but that cartridge selection won't be available in a Glock semi automatic.

Unless you reload, price is going to be a factor regardless of what you choose. The 9mm bulk ball ammo will be the cheapest option of the ones listed, though.

Last edited:

patiodaddy

10 pointer
Sep 27, 2005
Behind the bushes......
I would go with the .40 or the .45 if you are set on a semi-auto. I am a big bore fan and the 9mm just doesn't do it for me. I have a few but they are just for fun shooting and not for packing. If you like to shoot a bunch then get you a reloader and shoot for about 1/2 the price of store bought ammo. You could find a used press pretty cheap if you look around.

The 1911 is the one gun that has to be shot a certain way to get any satisfaction out of it. It is all about your placement of the finger on the trigger and the squeeze. I have had 4 or 5 in my lifetime and never could do any good with them either and swore I would never buy another one. Then I met a guy that had been shooting them for years and he gave me some great pointers and I went and got one of the new Remington R1 1911's and now carry it most of the time. Good luck on your purchase on what ever you decide to buy. Happiness is a NEW Gun!:D

KYhunter79

12 pointer
Dec 11, 2003
Irvington, KY
Yeah, I'm not really interested in another 9mm. The only reason that I mentioned that I had a P89 is because it's a P series and I'm considering getting a Ruger P series .45cal. I was really happy with the Ruger P series semi autos. Sorry if I didn't word things very well. But I'm basically trying to decide if I should get a .357 (I don't even know anyone that has one of these in semi-auto), a .40cal, a .45cal, or a 10mm. I'm leaning towards the .40cal.

KYhunter79

12 pointer
Dec 11, 2003
Irvington, KY
I would go with the .40 or the .45 if you are set on a semi-auto. I am a big bore fan and the 9mm just doesn't do it for me. I have a few but they are just for fun shooting and not for packing. If you like to shoot a bunch then get you a reloader and shoot for about 1/2 the price of store bought ammo. You could find a used press pretty cheap if you look around.

The 1911 is the one gun that has to be shot a certain way to get any satisfaction out of it. It is all about your placement of the finger on the trigger and the squeeze. I have had 4 or 5 in my lifetime and never could do any good with them either and swore I would never buy another one. Then I met a guy that had been shooting them for years and he gave me some great pointers and I went and got one of the new Remington R1 1911's and now carry it most of the time. Good luck on your purchase on what ever you decide to buy. Happiness is a NEW Gun!:D

Don't get me wrong, I loved my 1911. To be perfectly honest, the guy at the local gun shop offered me $125 MORE than what it booked for and I couldn't pass up getting rid of it because I wanted something new.

patiodaddy

10 pointer
Sep 27, 2005
Behind the bushes......
If he gave you that much more for your .45 I see how you couldn't pass it up. I really like the .40 but I don't have one, it would just be another gun I would have to buy all the dies for to re-load and lord knows I have enough already. I did have a .357 Desert Eagle when they first came out and I wish I still had it. It was a huge gun and shot great but being young my attention was drawn to other guns I wanted more and I traded it for a AR-15 Carbine. I still have the AR but I wish I also had the Desert Eagle. Get what you really want though and don't settle for less.

cody161

Fawn
Jan 2, 2012
If it's going to be a compact frame I can't tell much of a difference between a buddies Glock 27 (compact .40) and my Taurus Millennium Pro .45. I was very surprised when I shot my .45 for the first time because it didn't seem to jump around that bad.

corndogggy

12 pointer
Jul 20, 2005
I like the .40 because it's kind of an in between of a 9mm and a .45. I like the pure power of a .45 but I've shot a bunch and haven't been too impressed with the accuracy of them any further than 5 yards. My Springfield champion was a nice gun and not cheap at all but I feel like the powder to bullet weight ratio isn't good enough to be accurate at any distance. I want this as not only a self defense gun to carry but also to shoot for fun. The price of the .45 bullet really hindered that as well.

The .40 cal is actually more powerful than a .45. It's cheaper. It's easier to hold a double stacked mag. It's easy to find during ammo shortages. In my opinion it's a superior round. I'm saving for a house right now but otherwise I'd buy one in .40.

KRB_FTW

6 pointer
Jul 25, 2010
Berea
The .40 cal is actually more powerful than a .45. It's cheaper. It's easier to hold a double stacked mag. It's easy to find during ammo shortages. In my opinion it's a superior round. I'm saving for a house right now but otherwise I'd buy one in .40.

Is today opposite day?

KYhunter79

12 pointer
Dec 11, 2003
Irvington, KY
I've pretty much narrowed it down. Now I have to decide whether I like the G23 $115 more than the SR40. Unfortunately....I think I do. :( lol.

Latest posts