Pilot Training - Iceman?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Zeb, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Zeb

Zeb 8 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    Hey Iceman- or any other pilots. What's your take on the advertised pilot shortage? Is it really the case? My son has decided to give it a go. He worked as a ramp rat (for the flight benefits) while finishing school and got bit by the flying bug. He'll have his private license soon and will be working toward the next step, which I believe is 250 hours. Can you share any thoughts on the airline feeder programs and can you get an entry job or into a feeder program with 250?

2. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    It's really happening, and it's going to be on for a while. All the majors are going to have around 500 pilots a year retire in the next decade, and that's not counting growth.

I fly corporate, so don't know a whole lot about the feeder schools, but he will be required to have an AIrline Transport Pilot license to qualify for the airlines, including the regionals. Best guess is to call all the feeder programs and ask them. Just be careful as they "guarantee" an interview, but that doesn't really mean anything. It also ain't getting any cheaper as he progresses.

He aslo needs to be prepared to make less than 40K for a couple years, and commute to glorious bases like NYC and Philly, depending on the airline. As long as you don't have a family it's not too bad.

Also, the airline industry has always been a roller coaster, so it could shut off tommorow, but I doubt it this time.

3. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Sorry, was headed out to door before. There's a few different ways to get your ATP license, but without a degree from college, it will take longer.

Wiki page actually explains it pretty well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_Transport_Pilot_Licence

As said before, as of a few years ago after the Buffaloe NY crash, they changed the regs to require both pilots to have an ATP, a reg which wouldn't have prevented said crash.

My best advice is for him to make as many connections within the industry as he can, and absolutely don't burn any bridges, even the ones to the arrogant a-holes. More than most, the pilot industry is about who you know, not what, though that's changing a bit. He also needs to keep out of trouble, as that's a red flag that will keep him from landing most jobs.

Lastly, the best pilots aren't the most gifted stick and rudder guys. The best pilots make smart, safety minded decisions in the cockpit. Yes it takes a degree of skill to fly a plane, but there's been plenty of Chuck Yeager level pilots that became greasy spots on the sides of mountains because they make stupid decisions.

4. Zeb

Zeb 8 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    Thanks for the information and advice. I really have no clue about any of the requirements but he seems to have a plan. He's young, just graduated from college last year, so I guess now's the time to give it a shot. It sounds like a cool job and we know a couple of pilots that fly cargo. They seem to make a great living and enjoy their jobs.

5. Zeb

Zeb 8 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    You still around Iceman? Any other pilots here?

6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Iceman moved back home to Indiana He told me he gets on and reads every now and again after he stopped posting its been almost 2 years since i last pmed him.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    xbokilla likes this.
  7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Haven’t heard from Ice in a good while. I asked about him a while back and someone said he moved and isn’t on the forum anymore.

8. Zeb

Zeb 8 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    Thanks, I haven't seen him post in a long time and was wondering how well he was able to weather the covid slowdowns. It looks like things are finally looking up for pilots now. My son just got called into training at a regional airline after an extra year of being stuck as a CFI thanks to covid delays.

carnivore and xbokilla like this.
  9. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    My son is wanting to get into this. He is wanting to go to Eastern for their program.

I support him but a bit concerned about it to be honest. He wants to be a cargo pilot.

10. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    Air America baby!

11. Zeb

Zeb 8 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    I was a bit concerned too but it would have been hypocritical for me to say so. I've always told the kids that they should and can accomplish whatever they want. No regrets, give it a go! Had to bite my tongue a lot.

Your son should check out some of the cadet programs if he decides to go the pilot route. They offer a flow to mainline airlines from the regionals and sign on bonus. Also, immediate flight benefits (covers Mom and Dad too, which is pretty sweet). He'll likely need to be a CFI for a year or so - get paid while building hours that the students pay for.

I think cargo is the goal for many but have to build hours to get competitive for the job. Take a look at what UPS pilots make. It's amazing to me.

12. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Military ROTC would be a good fit for young man wants to fly

13. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    He filled out his paperwork last week. As said above, I hate to see him be so far away but he is living his life

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Con Air.

15. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    He is a decent size kid....should be able to hold his own.

bgkyarcher likes this.