Pier Fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by FF/EMT516, Mar 15, 2021.

1. FF/EMT516

FF/EMT516 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2020
    Blackrock, Ky
    I’m heading to Florida and may do some fishing while there from the pier, has anyone ever kept any saltwater fish to eat? And if so what is a good fish that would likely be caught at a pier to keep and eat?

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Touch base with @Capttrae .

Meatstick and FF/EMT516 like this.
  3. FF/EMT516

FF/EMT516 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2020
    Blackrock, Ky
    Thanks for the help!

4. JeepComanche

JeepComanche 6 pointer

Feb 8, 2007
    Hopkins Co.
    Whiting, pompano, flounder, speckled trout, redfish, all good table fare. No, excellent table fare. Blackened or baked is the way I like them. Grilled redfish on the half shell, the bomb.

5. hoene

hoene 10 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Taste a lot better if fresh (Not Frozen) than after you freeze them.

6. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Take a jig and put a chunk of fresh shrimp or chunk of crab or sand flea on it. drop it on the downcurrent side of a piling. Get no more than 1 foot off the piling. Sheepshead are good eating fish. you can do that around any piling that has decent barnacle and oyster growth. Dock pilings, bridge pilings, seawalls, etc.

Spanish mackeral are running now. Get a gotcha lure and throw thows off the pier for spanish. you'll need a gaff or drop net to get the fish up.

7. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    What part of Fl are you going to, if panhandle area this time of year, see smashsdn post, but I’ll add in, pick up some pampano jigs when you get there fish on the east side of the pier casting and working them back in, that’s the fish I would target. Truth be told if you are staying in the beach and wanting pampano I wouldn’t even go to the pier, just walk the beach close to where you are staying look for a break in the bar, they are easy to find if you’ve got any surf at all, watch the wave breaking, if you see a place they aren’t breaking, that’s a cut/break, fish a small 3 way, a pyramid lead on on swivel and about 1 1/2’ of 15-20lb flouro leader w/ a 2/0 jap hook with a sand flea or fresh dead shrimp on the other right in that cut, the fish use that as a travel route in and out of the surf zone to feee on sand fleas, shrimp, and small crabs. You’ll catch pampano, redfish, and whitting coming through there.
    If you are wanting to target redfish use rig explained above but with larger hooks and whole blue crabs.
    You can also rig up a spoon rig, 2oz slip lead, small barrel swivel, 5-6’ 20lb flouro leader, 0 or 00 clark RBM clark spoon and cast it out as far as you can between the bars, Spanish, bluefish and skippys should be there. If you buy clark spoons do not get any of them with the prisim tape on them in different colors, they simply don’t work, I’ve drug them beside the plain RBM clark spoon when the Spanish were rallying, I’d have 3 poles loaded up and that one just nothing.

8. FF/EMT516

FF/EMT516 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2020
    Blackrock, Ky
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I’ll be at Navarre at some family’s place and thought I might catch a few to bring home with me. I’ve caught Spanish before but nothing to brag about.

Capttrae likes this.
  9. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    One more thing, if you are going between now and later part of April, go to the pier one night, carry two rods, one light rod, one heavy rod, catch you a small hadhead catfish, cut the spines off, use the same surf rig I mentioned earlier, but you’ll want to upgrade the leader to 60lb flouro, an 8/0 sea demon circle hook, and 4oz pyramid lead, then hook the catfish towards the tail, cast it out there and wait, you may not get a bite, but if a cobia swims by it he won’t be able to resist it

10. I found an instructional video on the Tube

TripleGee likes this.
  11. FF/EMT516

FF/EMT516 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2020
    Blackrock, Ky
    Thanks for the help everyone

12. FF/EMT516

FF/EMT516 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2020
    Blackrock, Ky
    Is Spanish mackerel good to eat?