Pickled Egg Recipe?

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by redneckbuck, Nov 9, 2009.

1. redneckbuck

redneckbuck Fawn

Nov 25, 2006
    I just had some more pullets start laying, so I have got the eggs. Anybody have a good pickled egg recipe? Thanks in advance.

2. Cornmonkey

Cornmonkey 8 pointer

May 17, 2009
    east ky.
    Large jar of pickled bolona eat it save juice, pour about 25% out put in eggs half can beet juice and i put 2 cups of vinegar, let sit in fridge for about 7 days. Well thats the way i do it. Well now i gota make some after thinking about it. I love them my family don't. ;D

3. EAST KY ENCORE

EAST KY ENCORE 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2006
    Hills of Eastern Ky
    I mix vinegar and sugar egual parts of each and add some beet juice and a few hot peppers....

4. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    Well after much searching of the web and finding basically the same sweet,beet juice,complicated recipes, I finally mixed up the right combination to get that "pickled balogna juice" flavor. You can fool with the vinegar/water ratios all day long and you'll never get it. Its all in the amount of salt you use
    1 1/2 cups vinegar
    1 cup water
    1 tbls kosher/sea salt(iodized table salt may work im sure, but thats not what I used)
    Add this if you like:
    2 tsp cayenne pepper
    bring all ingredients just to a boil and pour over your peeled eggs,cap it,cool to room temp and refrigerate for a few days.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  5. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    In the fridge or just at room temp?

6. jblack1

jblack1 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    We always just eat the pickled bologna, then add boiled eggs to the pickle bologna juice and leave refrigerated for atleast 2 weeks then enjoy

7. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    I love me some pickeled eggs andcrackers with some cold beer. I don't think the wife likes the after effects though.Nthis is the way I allways make them to.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  8. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    Due to cholesterol I need to skip the balogna part and go straight for the eggs. One is bad enough but dont need both

9. gatorgrowl

gatorgrowl Spike

Nov 6, 2008
    Orlando Fl
    This Florida boy needs to know....where do you find Pickled Bologna ???????? Never had it, but I love bologna and I love pickled stuff....
    Thanks
    gatorgrowl

10. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    Any where, at least around here. You wont find it in the refridgertated section, it'll be on the shelf. The rope comes in a big gallon or more jar, sandwich type balogna comes quartered up in a quart jar. Just as well to use the recipe I posted, quarter up a pack of balogna or hotdogs and stuff it in a quart jar,add your liquid and set in the fridge for a week or so......use the cayenne

11. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I grew up eating pickled bologna and eggs, and thought everyone else did too. Until I worked in Virginia for about a year. Most there had never heard of it, and I never did find any in a store anywhere there. I started taking it with me, and folks loved it. So gatorgrowl, you might not be fortunate enough to find it in a store there, but not for sure. Just make some using one of these recipes.

12. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    I looked in Kroger in Louisville for pickled bologna...no dice. Any recommendations? Also, I like to put peppers in the eggs. Give them some real heat! I've got chickens coming in a week so shouldnt be too long before I have some myself!

13. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    I used this one last week. first time I ever made my own and they were great.
    Pretty cool texture on the egg the vinegar turned it a little rubbery.

Well after much searching of the web and finding basically the same sweet,beet juice,complicated recipes, I finally mixed up the right combination to get that "pickled balogna juice" flavor. You can fool with the vinegar/water ratios all day long and you'll never get it. Its all in the amount of salt you use
    1 1/2 cups vinegar
    1 cup water
    1 tbls kosher/sea salt(iodized table salt may work im sure, but thats not what I used)
    Add this if you like:
    2 tsp cayenne pepper
    bring all ingredients just to a boil and pour over your peeled eggs,cap it,cool to room temp and refrigerate for a few days.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  14. Pickled eggs + PBR = Get out of the Mammals way..and get out of the way of the nuclear fallout

15. ceg4uk

ceg4uk 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2006
    Sloughs WMA
    Reference "fart-proof blanket" post in Community Forum please. Haha.