pick a spot - a little topo fun

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Sammy, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Sammy

Sammy 6 pointer

Mar 16, 2011
    I need a little help. Multiple scouting trips over the past couple of years but i have not been able to pin down the right spot. Last year with the lack of acorns I stayed out of the area all together. It's all big woods with lots of oaks, very thick and very steep. Pick a spot and let me know your logic.

Attached Files:

2. 150PandY

150PandY BBBC Members

Sep 9, 2004
    Frankfort, KY, USA.
    It's hard to pick a spot by only using a topo map. I look at topo and Aerial photos. You can learn Amit just by looking at aerial photos.

3. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

Area under the blue line looks interesting.

4. Sammy

Sammy 6 pointer

Mar 16, 2011
    150 It's all big woods, satellite images are of little use.

Attached Files:

5. 150PandY

150PandY BBBC Members

Sep 9, 2004
    Frankfort, KY, USA.
    If I were to pick a spot to start I would go with that ridge in the middle where several points come together.

6. Sammy

Sammy 6 pointer

Mar 16, 2011
    Just me - I like your thinking. The draw below that north south ridge leads right into the head of a long valley. Alot of sign on that ridge in years past from bucks cruising the area.

Anyone else? I love to study maps trying to predict the best areas to hunt. When you get there and things pan out they way you thought it's a good feeling. In this case the big woods has humbled me as it's nothing hunting farm country.

7. Sammy

Sammy 6 pointer

Mar 16, 2011
    150 - Picture book ridge top converging hub. Alot of trails cross the ridge in the vicinity and alot of sign on the ridge line. Also why i centered the map there because that is the area I can't seem to get away from. The only problem is the vegatation in that particular spot is too thick to hunt. My last scouting trip was to target the eastern area of that hub hoping to find a way to hunt down wind of it. I did find a subtle bench but the access was hard and would be impossible in the dark.

I appreciate the feedback. Like i said before, hunting this area has humbled me so any input is appreciated.

8. 150PandY

150PandY BBBC Members

Sep 9, 2004
    Frankfort, KY, USA.
    The other option I thought of was the low gaps on the north west or south east of that hilltop in the middle.

9. Mob169"

Mob169" 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2010
    To the right of elevation 1200 is a saddle in the ridge top. Might be a good nov cruising spot

10. BJN

BJN 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Where the road passes along the low gap right below '1142'. Then there is a relatively flat spot, on the point just South of the gap, could be bedding overlooking the center holler.

11. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    I'm with 150

Topo and a walk about mid February usually gives the right info. I'll try and look at this on my computer at some point to see where I would settle. Approach matters.

12. Sammy

Sammy 6 pointer

Mar 16, 2011
    BJN - You nailed it, I have jumped alot of deer on my previous forays into the area. They bed heavy on and near this point, particularly on the eastern down hill side. As previously mentioned I tried coming up the holler behind this location to stay down wind of this hub but can't due to the vegatation. The green briers are thick and nasty on that hillside and don't give a crap about the brush pants I wear.

Mob 169 - Each year I take notes on my topo when shed hunting / scouting any particular location. I went over my notes from 2 & 3 years ago and have no notes on this particular strech which only means I didn't cover it close enough. As you can see directly north of this location there is a bench that overlooks the valley below. Wouldn't be hard to imagine a good trail coming off this bench up and over thru that saddle. Could be a great funnel location. What made this spot standout to you?

Again, I appreciate the help. Just looking for a bit of logic.

13. Mob169"

Mob169" 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2010
    Well to the south of the saddle is a step ditch that cuts of to the saddle and to the north, north/west is a more gradual terrain feature. The south side would be a great escape route for any animal coming through that saddle. Big woods deer always think of escape routes and being undetected when traveling. The saddle is the best of both worlds.

14. Sammy

Sammy 6 pointer

Mar 16, 2011
    Good point, thanks for the reply.

15. Mob169"

Mob169" 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2010
    No problem. Would love an update if you get out there