Pheasant in KY

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Jacobhwrd, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Looking to do a pheasant hunt this fall. Have seen a bunch of different places that guide hunts but the prices seem to be all over the place. I am looking to hunt over dogs and not do a tower shoot. Any recommendations? Anything I should know? What is a reasonable price for a one day hunt?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

Your location and how far you are willing to travel would help.

3. captain71

captain71 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Western Ky
  4. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I am in Richmond Ky and willing to drive 3-4 hours if needed. I am wanting to stay inside of KY though. TN would work but still leaning towards KY.

5. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    That one looks amazing. Just from the pictures posted i wouldn't mind making that an annual trip.

6. labwild

labwild 6 pointer

Jan 29, 2006
    Mercer Co., Ky.
    You might consider the KDFWR Pheasant Quota Hunts. They are conducted at Green River WMA and a couple of other WMAs across the state. $3 to enter the draw and $25 hunt fee if drawn. You can submit up to 5 hunters per group. More info can be found on the web page.

7. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

Be prepared for a little sticker shock.

8. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I don't see a price on the website but I will be Co tactics them soon to see what it is.

9. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

I think it is somewhere around $800 per day per gun. Clover Creek is the closest one to you that I am familiar with about an hour west of Louisville and far cheaper. I usually hunt one of the put and take days at Yellowbanks if your interested in that I would be happy to have you go with me.

10. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    I have a question about such hunts( preserve ) Do you pay for what flies , what you have a shot at, or how many times you shoot, or for what you hit??
    I'm good friends with an older man whom is like to take get some quail. I've never been to any place like that, just wondered how it works. Thanks to anyone who has done it.

BoB

11. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

You can have no limit hunts where you pay a set fee for the day regardless of how many birds you put up, shoot at or kill, or you can have hunts that you pay for a certain number of birds to be put out, regardless of whether you find or kill them.. I am not aware of anywhere that charges by the number of birds you put up, shoot at or kill.

12. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Yeah I might have to take you up on that.

13. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I have seen the hunts where they charge you by the bird. A guy at work said he went to one like that and it was a tower in the center of a field with stations and had 2 hunters and they would release a set number then everyone would rotate. That would get the job done but it doesn't really sound like a hunt to me. I might as well go to a pigeon shoot but the prices for those are about a 1/4 of the hunts over a dog.

14. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

Pay for the number of birds put out and you hunt over a dog. You pay for the birds whether you find and kill them or not. Some places you have to at least pay for a set minimum number of birds, with pheasants usually 4 or 5, some places have no minimum.