Pheasant hunt

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by ManofManyStangs, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Rapid City got 2ft of snow on 10.12.21. 4ft in Deadwood. I know, I was there. Near blizzard conditions. Only rain in Chamberlain but turned real cold. Hopefully the next week is warmer, and sunny.

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    That's a lot of snow this esrly

3. ManofManyStangs

ManofManyStangs 8 pointer

May 4, 2009
    Pulling out at 3:30 in the AM. Suppose to be in the 60's while I'm there

4. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Never hunted them but they are tasty

5. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    In the wild in good cover they are some running SOB's. Having good dogs helps a lot, not to mention if you wing one they will run FOREVER and a good dog will catch up to em. They love getting into the enormous fields of cattails but ya hunt em where they are. When there was a lot of CRP it really held the birds! If you can find any it still will. I've had days I limited in 20 mins. Days I didn't limit and days it took all day to do it. I'm always hunting public any more but there are plenty of birds typically. With the drought they had earlier this year, next year could be a down year.

Bee likes this.
  6. ManofManyStangs

May 4, 2009
    Its been a blast so far. We are getting ready to go out on our last hunt. I took a lesson from the owner of the lodge last night on shooting birds/shotguns we will see how that pans out today. Funny thing is he hates the word aim he said shotguns don't need sights we should just point and shoot. Our group has been the only 1 to limit out both mornings

Chessie202, bondhu, carnivore and 2 others like this.
  7. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Good Luck! And safe travels back!

ManofManyStangs likes this.
  8. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
  9. ManofManyStangs

May 4, 2009
    I will update with pics later tonight or tomorrow

OLE RASPY and Drahts like this.
  10. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    My hunt went sideways In a hurry. Two days drive to ND. Unpacked and the three ofus went to hunt for a couple hours. Well on the end of the second push the guy that puts this together and I fish with in KY comes around the corner saying t heres a rooster here be ready! Ok I am and the other guy is ten feet to my right. Rooster flushes...raise my gun...wham wham...what he'll was that???? I look at the guy on my right...your shells hit me I say. He shoots lefty. He said I didn't shoot! Well my arm and ribs hurt like hell. The guy shot me!! Felt like my elbow was hit with a hammer. It was only two pellets 5s but holy crap! Went through two layers of clothes and drew blood...and hurts! Could barely use my arm. I left in the morning never fired a shot. Guy said it was a ricochet. Right...he is one of those guys you need to watch his muzzle, plus he shot six hens last year accidently! I am done. Great place lots of birds no other hunters and lodging is free. But that was the last straw.

11. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    WTF! Im stunned. Did a doctor dig them out yet? Hope you recover quickly.

12. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    That's crazy, I've been hit a few times rabbit hunting but nothing up close or drew blood.

13. ManofManyStangs

May 4, 2009
    On our biggest push at the end we were in a full circle with the understanding to shoot outside of circle once the birds passed. We took 10 birds on that push but it would/could be dangerous if everyone didn't watch out for each other. Glad you are ok kinda scary.

14. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I don't enjoy that type of hunting. I have a great dog and would rather hunt over him. Last year we had four guys usually we would just all hunt in a line across the field letting the dogs work.

Drahts likes this.
  15. Bucktail

Bucktail Fawn

Nov 14, 2019
    Franklin Ky
    My son just got back from South Dakota pheasant hunting. They went for three days and really wore them out. He said he would take me next time!!

Attached Files:

ManofManyStangs likes this.