Pest Control...

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by dirtstalker, Feb 28, 2019.

1. KBA Bowhunter

KBA Bowhunter Fawn

Sep 7, 2017
    Northern KY
    They call it squab in the restaurants up on the East Coast. Never ate it... but others do.

2. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    "not just the gun", he has also a good eye. wish i were that steady, anymore.

3. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    might be worth a try. if you ever cleaned a chicken, ya might give it up, hence the word foul, or fowl. i never had to pluck a rabbit, or a squirrel. come to think of it, never plucked a deer. i have shot dove, an ya aint gotta pluck em, just reach in an pull out the breast meat. tis a tad more to it, though not much. the first ime i seen a chicken butchered., my grandma, hung em by the leg's, on the clothes line. she did say, not to watch, or you wont eat any chicken. that was true. she grabbed the head, used a butcher knife, an lopped the heads off, an untied them. it was a larger knife, when i was younger, have you ever, though, seen a headless chicken run, 20 yards? if i already said this, give me some pardon. you might get there someday yourself.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  4. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    bump of sorts, Stephen King could make a movie bout headless chicken's, chasing ya.

5. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Most of the time we breast them out..soak in salt water for about 10-15 mins..drain and pat dry. Roll in breading..sometimes ky colonels..sometimes weissenberger (sp?)..then slow fry in lard with a couple tablespoons of bacon greae added.

Other times we will pluck..keep skin on..stuff a piece or 2 of bacon down in the cavity..and wrap a couple pieces of bacon around them. Roast over a open fire..or most of the time on the charcoal grill.

I really need to start taking pics of all this..but i never remember to do it during the process.

barney likes this.
  6. Pigeon is too much of a scavenger for my taste. It would be like eating a flying rat. Edibile? sure, desirable? not so sure?? I have eaten groundhog but avoid possum or rats. I guess I have just not been hungry enough. I recall that when Ashland Oil still had its Ethanol Plant over in southern Ohio in the 80's, the pigeons and rats over there would gorge themselves on the spent grain from the sour mash operation. They got so fat that the rats were as big as large house cats and the pigeons were so fat they looked like chickens and could not fly anymore. They would just run on the ground flapping their wings. A team of guys who were marksmen were tasked with killing them using scoped 22's loaded with shorts and high powered pellet rifles. Now those pigeons might be worth eating. Grain fed and marinated in moonshine. I remember that as a avid hunter, I was jealous of those guys who got that assignment. It sounded like great fun.

7. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Ill try eating just about anything once, if its good, ill eat it again. I teach the boy the same. One of the nastiest animals on the planet is a snapping turtle....but id take a snapper over a steak any day..
    As with most things..it is a mind over matter situation

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Squab
    Food
    [​IMG]
    In culinary terminology, squab is a young domestic pigeon, typically under four weeks old, or its meat. The meat is widely described as tasting like dark chicken. The term is probably of Scandinavian origin; the Swedish word skvabb means "loose, fat flesh". It formerly applied to all dove and pigeon species, such as the wood pigeon, the mourning dove, the extinct-in-the-wild socorro dove, and the now-extinct passenger pigeon, and their meat. More recently, squab meat comes almost entirely from domesticated pigeons. The meat of dove and pigeon gamebirds hunted primarily for sport is rarely called squab.
    • upload_2019-3-23_13-15-15.png
      Wikipedia
    • Tell that little guy to whack all he can.

9. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY