Perfered Ammunition.

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by suburbansniper, Mar 15, 2011.

1. suburbansniper

suburbansniper 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Hebron, KY
    I know that. I got them for paper. Thats why I started a thread to ask what people are using for coyotes.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  2. mike wilson

mike wilson 6 pointer

Nov 18, 2008
    somerset
    Lot of target shooters really like that 39 grain blitzking

3. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    I load the 39 grain Blitz King for my grandson and his Browning 204. It is a real shooter and is deadly on coyotes. I know 8 or 10 serious reloaders who swear by the Blitz King in a variety of calibers.

4. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    The 55 gr V MAX is pretty good but i like the 55gr Nosler ballistic tips better they have a thicker jacket and stay together alittle better if you hit a bone.I will take any shot i get on a coyote ive been known to shoot the hips off one just to get him down and then finish him off.

5. KyCoyKlr

KyCoyKlr Fawn

Mar 26, 2009
    Letcher Co.
    Possumal!
    not to argue a point but I have spoken with Paul Box at Sierra, and serveral of there other Techs. None of them has recomended the Blitz King or the Match King bullets for coyote hunting with a 222. In fact while shoping for a bullet to use in my 222 I was told that the Blitz King would be way too "soft" (opens too fast and not enough penetration) for hunting something the size of a coyote. I was also told that at 222 velocity that a Match King might be to "hard" and not open up at the longer ranges but I have not found that to be a problem. A 223's velocity will be about 150FPS faster than a 222 so it should not be a problem. A buddy of mine called and asked Sierra about using the Match King in his 22-250 and was told it would work fine at 22-250 velocity.
    By The Way!!! Sierra recomended that i use one of their lead tipped (soft Point) bullets to insure adequate penetration, and expansion. Remember, you can't kill without enough penetration.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  6. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    I have been dealing with Paul Box for about 25 years, and he is a great guy and a great source of good information. The bullet you choose for any caliber has a lot of considerations, including the number of twists in your particular rifle. Whether you are using a 222 or a 223, if you load the Blitz King right, you won't have any trouble killing a coyote. Hitting your target in the proper spot has a lot to do with it too of course. If somebody at Sierra told your buddy to use a Match King for hunting in his 22-250, they are not even following what their manual recommends. I tried them years ago in a Ruger 22-250 and big old males would get up and stagger around like they were drunk and get up and run to a thick place or a hole back under brush. I've never had that happen with a Blitz King in any caliber. The bullet is designed for maximum accuracy with good terminal performance. I shoot the 70 grain Blitz King in the 243, and most times it does not leave an exit wound, but it flat out kills them graveyard dead at long range.

7. carpkabob

carpkabob 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2009
    breathitt co.
    22-250 Remington rem brass. 37.0 gr of reloader 15. hornady 52 gr match bthp. i dont know what they will do to a yote but the shoot like a laser beam have noticed on crows and some feral chickens some times the blow up some times not.

8. A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER

A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER 8 pointer

Dec 6, 2004

9. KyCoyKlr

KyCoyKlr Fawn

Mar 26, 2009
    Letcher Co.
    Possomal!

I agree that Paul Box and all of the guys at Sierra are great and very informed.
    I also agree that the Blitz King bullets are very accurate and they will kill like lightning with violent expansion upon impact.
    Now,, using a 243 with 70 grains of lead at 3500fps is not in question as to what it will do to a coyote. I am beyond positive that it will BangFlop any coyote. The terminal release of that amount of energy in a coyote is simply devastating for sure.

What is in question however is 223 performance, and what bullet works best for it.

Ok,,, so now we are down to what kind of terminal performance "I" want from my bullet. You might not want the same things I do and that is ok with me.

First I want my bullet to at least penetrate completly through to the hide on the other side of the animal I am going to shoot whether it be a coyote, deer, or ground hog. I want this because an animal with one lung still working can run hundreds of yards before expiring. If you don't believe that ask anyone that has shot a deer badly and only taken out one lung.
    Secondly I want a bullet that expands and releases most of its energy inside the animal. If the bullet does happen to exit with a small amount of remaining energy it doesn't tear a large hole but it does provide you with a blood trail which helps you find those few that might run 20 or 30 yards. This will distroy lots of tissue killing the animal very quickly regardless of whether it be a coyote, deer or elk.

Plastic tip bullets(the ones made for varmints) are simply hollow points that already have there point filed up with a piece of plastic that forces expansion on contact. They are made to expand to the point of fragmentation as soon as possible. This almost instant fragmintation can result in spectacular instant kills, but it can also lead to shallow penetration and (Splash) type entrance wounds and long track jobs. This bullet can lack penetration so it doesn't meet my needs. It can however kill coyotes, it just might take a while with a quartering shot. I have the same problem with light weight bullets of any type, they lack penetration on strong angle shots.
    Now,, If I were forced to use them I would choose 55gr or heavier bullets for the 223. That would help insure enough penetration.

It is my opinion that the soft points and some hollow points would probably offer the best overall terminal performance on coyote sized animals, but I use Match Kings because of there fantastic accuracy, and because all 25 coyotes I shot while using my 222 with them were recoverd. I also might add that the bullet gave me the exact terminal performance I wanted (deep penetration no splash wounds, good expansion and sure kills).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  10. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    I seriously doubt that many hunters can shoot groups with a Match King that are vastly superior to those shot with a Blitz King. After all, Sierra designed it to be superbly accurate and have great killing power. Depending on the length of your barrel, and how you load it, the 50 grain Blitz King will do a great job on killing coyotes with minimal fur damage if that is a concern. You could move up to the 55 grain Blitz Varminter if it suited your needs or step up some more to a 55 grain Game King. The coyote won't cause it to fragment real quick, and it will most likely shoot all the way through a coyote. The knockdown power will be impressive.