Perfered Ammunition.

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by suburbansniper, Mar 15, 2011.

1. suburbansniper

suburbansniper 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Hebron, KY
    What do you guys perfer for ammunition when varmint hunting? Hollow Points, Soft Tip, Full Metal Jacket, Ballistic Tip? I have an AR15 20" with 1x8 twist set up for target so shoot 77gr Seirra Match King Jacketed Hollow Points. I know they don't really expand but are accurate. Not looking to save the hides but want to put the animal down where I shot it with out making a perfect heart shot.

2. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    Either Hollow Points or Boat Tail Soft Points.

3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    the match king will "explode" when hitting game. very thin wall designed for competition/accuracy. it should do the trick on coyotes. may be a lot of pelt damage.

4. XFORCE

XFORCE 8 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    I like a Ballistic Tip for dropping them quick. I use a soft point if i'm after a hide or mount. Have made several kills with a soft point with a perfect lung or heart shot but the coyotes seem to run a little ways. With the ballistic tips they are usually splattered right in their tracks. Don't even have to sight in when switching rounds they are both within a 1/4 of each other.

5. suburbansniper

suburbansniper 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Hebron, KY
    Yeah I was not sure what the Sierra Match Kings would do. Black Hills made the round which I got from Midway. They do have a hollow point but thought they might just past through like a FMJ. I have a 1x8 twist which is pretty fast and have been told to use a heavy grain so it will stabilize. Varmint Grenades and things that light have been told spin themselves apart.

6. kycountryboy

kycountryboy 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2008
    columbia,ky
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but just because you have a fast twist is no reason to use extra heavy wieght bullets if you don't want to. It just means you can shoot heavier ones. I have a 1 in 9 and have shot 45 grains in it just fine.

7. A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER

A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER 8 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    sierra match kings do not explode. there known to have very thick jackets.

8. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    The Grousegunner has it right. The Match King is a paper puncher, not a hunting bullet.

9. strut-n-scrape

strut-n-scrape Spike

Nov 7, 2009
    Shelbyville KY
    223 round, 55 grain Barnaul HPBT, 25.0 gr AA 2230-C, CCI 400 SR primer, Lake City Cases C.O.L 2.195", 3165 fps out of 20" AR. Superb accuracy splats them them dead on the spot. Not a pelt hunters round.

10. suburbansniper

suburbansniper 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Hebron, KY
    Wish I had the funds to start reloading. I save most of my cases but have not bought stuff to reload. I dont shoot enough "Yet" to buy that stuff.

1x8 twist will over stabilize a varmint grenade which are like 36 grain. I have been told not to shoot any lighter then 50 grain but would get better accuracy with the heavier stuff. The Black Hills is pretty close to hand loaded ammo. I went with the Match Kings cause they are very accurate for shooting paper targets, and I went heavy to keep the wind from effecting them as much at longer ranges. I didnt think they would do anything but pass through like a FMJ so I was asking what you guys shot. Sierra makes a Blitz King that "Explodes". Im more less looking form something I can buy already loaded.

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i knew better but i mis-spoke about the "jacket", they are not a jacketed bullet. all one piece. shoot a critter and see what happens. also, call Sierra, talk to the technicians. i spoke in length with them last year about this exact topic.

these bullets are designed for accuracy, nothing else. they are not designed to hold together in hunting situations. no, they do not explode on paper. shoot an animal with one, and it looks like it swallowed a hand grenade (personal experience)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  12. KyCoyKlr

KyCoyKlr Fawn

Mar 26, 2009
    Letcher Co.
    Ok Guys,,,, I shoot a 222 a lot which has less power than a 223 and have found that the Sierra Match King 52 and 53 grain bullets to be just what i wanted in a coyote bullet. They have very thin jackets, but they also have a very smalll hollow point. This results in a bullet that is a little slower to expand than one with a larger hollow point so they would be considered to be a harder bullet than say a large hollow point or a plastic tip bullet. I have killed about 25 coyote with this bullet and have never had it splash on the entrance side like plastic tip bullets often do. On close shots it will sometimes exit but has never left me with a huge hole. I have also walked over and picked up every coyote shot with this bullet, I have never lost one. The problem with most plastic tip bullets is that they are made to explode 2 pound prairie dogs. This results in a bullet that might not penetrate enough. I would also never choose to use a 40 or 45 grain .224 bullets for coyote because it lacks penetration that might be needed. A coyote shot on the point of the sholder quartered toward you might lose his leg and sholder with little or no damage to his lungs and chest. I really don't want to waste 95% of my bullets energy blowing through the sholder and only have 5% left to actualy kill the animal. remember that penetration kills, sometimes not with spectacular results, but for sure it kills. Of course all of this means nothing if you are using a more powerful gun (243, 6mm, 257).

13. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    Incorrect. The Sierra Match King has a lighter jacket than a typical hunting bullet, i.e. Remington Core-Lokt

14. suburbansniper

suburbansniper 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Hebron, KY
    Bullets will act different from different guns as far as velocity and weight. Keep it to .223 specific so we dont end up with different opinions.

15. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    If you want the facts, call Paul Box at Sierra and you'll quickly find out that Sierra does not recommend the Match King bullets for hunting. That ought to be enough for you. They are designed for accuracy in match competition. The Blitz King was developed for comparable accuracy but lots of killing power. If you don't want to go to the trouble of calling Sierra, just look in your Sierra manual. Any page that features a Match King bullet will have a note that Sierra does not recommend Match King bullets for hunting applications.