Percentage Left

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Grago, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I just went and sat in my stand yesterday afternoon, for the heck of it. Figured with this front coming they would be moving good. Had a unique buck stay out in front of me for probably a hour, i would think after yesterday, he will make it now , unless something in nature kills him, and there are actually a good number of bucks left, i honestly think people just put to much trust in trail cameras, just my opinion, hear people say, all the time, havent had a pic of him in so many days, he got killed somewhere, just to have them show back up at a later time. I never put out a camera in my life till last year, and even now, about all a pic says to me is there is a buck that does exist and he was standing there, when the pic was took, i do like looking at the pics, but thats about it. But i was thinking yesterday, just wondering how many do actually make it. I know this depends on the area someone hunts and the population, and hunting pressure is , where someone is at.

CentralKyHunter and BootsOn27 like this.
  2. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    From what I saw this season out of the deer and how tight they were staying in the trees and acorns added to the fact that one corner neibor dozed and mowed down a great 50 acres of bedding area last year and another neibor dozed out another 15 acres at the same corner this fall then started hunting it the last week of the season I feel there is a good chance I will see some of the older bucks on cam and in person again.

Grago and GroundPound like this.
  3. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Agree on the trail cams. Heck I was just telling a guy today about trail cams only telling the story of what walks in front of it and that’s it. I’ve hunted spots and see a dozen deer and bucks moving around also but have none walk in front of that cam. If I was just going by what the cam showed I would think no deer were in that spot that day but from the tree I saw a dozen.

Grago likes this.
  4. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Yep that’s the argument I have with my son. The trigger area on a camera is small. If I went by my camera then I have 2 does that hit it at 2 am most mornings and a group of 3-4 that hit around 10pm. I know I have more deer then that.

Grago likes this.
  5. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I just like them for the fact of knowing what some bucks are. For example, in a real hunting situation I may only have a few seconds to judge and decide if I'm going to shoot or not. If I can recognize the buck from a trail cam. picture I can make that decision a lot quicker.
    I think a good percentage of bucks make it through the season at most places.

BootsOn27, bgkyarcher and Grago like this.
  6. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    I think a lot of 2.5 and 3.5 year old bucks get killed by hunters. Once they get 4.5 and beyond I think most die from natural causes or predators other than humans which I guess is still natural cause. I have mixed feelings on cameras. One day I love them next day I wanna go back to the pre camera days. Lol. Some mature bucks don’t mind the cameras and you get lots of pics of them. Others you may get one or 2 pics then they avoid them. Same way with corn piles and even somewhat with minerals. I will say my confidence goes up if I have pic of a big one.

Huntin' Fool, BootsOn27 and Grago like this.
  7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I saw 10 bucks and five does Saturday morning. 4 bucks and 8 does Sunday morning. I wasn't hunting my stand where the camera is, but was 200 yards from it, watching the field it bordered. I got zero pics of any of those deer.......

8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

This is why I say mountain lions are plentiful in Ky. Trail cam be darned! :D

But you do serve a good point. I don’t even think trail cams pick up a third of what is out there.

BootsOn27, Grago and Feedman like this.
  9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    All of these deer were running back and forth across a field. My camera is at the end of that field, on a flat above the creek. Not a single deer in two mornings went in, nor came out of that flat area.

Grago and xbokilla like this.
  10. ukyager

ukyager 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2005
    KENTUCKY
    Weather had them moving on our place last night.
    Was able to see that the one shooter we had on cam all year showed back up and two up and comers were still around as well. Our Doe herd is back in family groups for the most part.

Grago likes this.
  11. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 8 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    Pre camera I got so excited at finding a descent rub and wondering how bi a giant made it. Cameras take that away a bit

BootsOn27 likes this.
  12. 257Wmag

257Wmag 6 pointer

Oct 7, 2015
    NC
    I wouldn’t place much on what you see on camera. I hunted a 10 acre CRP field for 2 days straight when the wind got right for it. Had a camera and corn out. Saw probably 25 deer over those 2 days, maybe 3 walked in front of the camera during the time I was there. If I went off camera intel I’d of thought the deer were gone.

The buck I killed I had on camera in early November but no pics for 10 days. He was still there just not focused of food. Don’t rely 100% on camera info.

13. BootsOn27

BootsOn27 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2011
    I have 5 cameras out on a 50 acre plot. I watched a good buck strategically weave his way through the property never making it anywhere near any of those cameras. They are good as long as you don't bet the entire farm on them.

Trapper Delk, Grago and Nock like this.
  14. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    They give a piece of the puzzle.

15. Cole505

Cole505 Fawn

Sep 6, 2016
    Completely agree. I had one of the bucks I am after show up with an hour of daylight left last Friday evening. (Couldn’t get a shot through the brush and trees) Have not had a picture of him since November 7th. Cameras do not tell the whole picture of what’s going on.