People that are deer blind

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bigbonner, Nov 1, 2019.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I know a few hunters that are deer blind . Even if you point at a deer they still can not see it .
    I know my son at a early age was deer blind but now he can pick them out better than I can
    I don't have this problem but have seen a few that do.
    Train your eyes when sitting in the woods . Look off far away and focus , stare and change to up close and then back far away.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  2. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Not proud of it but in my younger days early twenties I did a fair amount of road hunting . I can spot and tell the difference in a buck or a doe at 50mph standing 100yds off the road in the woods, like I said not proud but it's a well honed skill.

As far as deer blind my wife is but she is getting better the more time she spends in the woods.

bigbonner likes this.
  3. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    People look for deer when they need to look for a difference from the background. You spot the color or shape difference.

That said, my eyes at 54 are not what they were at 24

4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I have been told I have a knack for spotting things out of place and guess that helps pick out deer other may miss.

FOWLER2671 and ojibwa62 like this.
  5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    You have a knack for stirring pots. LoL

Junglekat and ptbrauch like this.
  6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I just don't follow the pack rather go my own way....LOL.

muddhunter and ojibwa62 like this.
  7. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    When I was a kid nothing impressed my dad, his buddies, or uncles more than picking out a deer no one else had seen. I was always looking for deer whether we were in the car, on the boat, or hiking. Becomes second nature and my wife still just shakes her head when I spot one way off. Wish that aquired skill translated to more deer within bow range! :D

Munson and ojibwa62 like this.
  8. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    my sister couldnt see me once, because i had camo on, and was maybe 100 ft away next to a fence.. what a city slicker... even worst, a hunting buddy, walked just past me on a road. i was sitting on the ground, just across the ditch, back to a tree. i said david, he turned around, still didnt see me, till i spoke. he was 20 ft away. then,
    my other friend, and his uncle, were out scouting a different time, i went squirrel hunting, sitting on the ground again, back to a tree, they were coming back, and facing me, as they talked, they got within.25 feet, and i said something. my camo wasnt all that good.. i didnt move though, and they didnt notice me, till they were right up on me, i had to say something. they were packing..
    that isnt the only thing.
    another time i was hunting at a friends, dads house.. not having much luck, i walked back to the house. he an his dad were talking, by the shed.. i wanted to see how close i could get before i was spotted. i got within 5 feet. i think if i had not said anything, i could have touched one of them.
    i had 1 time i didnt see someone in camo.
    we were in a boat, he were up on shore, 40 yards, till he waved, i couldnt see him.. it was before i knew about camo. though i learned how to spot it..
    since then, i see some hunters in the woods, because they move, i am not looking for them, its just an out of place movement. i developed a skill, after i started hunting deer, squirrels and such, wearing camo, with other hunters.
    before that, i had just hunted rabbits, though i did get to go an a couple of quail hunts.. when i was younger..
    Finding 4 Leaf clover.. it took me a long time before i could spot a 4.. i think i was 9. after i found a few, i got where i could spot them, while riding my 20' tires bicycle. just riding down the side of the road, i would spot one. going too fast to stop immediately, i had to turn around, and find the place where i seen it.
    i still have that, and can be walking, a 4-leaf will just spring up, not where i am looking but on the side, somewhere.
    some see the vase, others see the crack in the vase..
    it is as the 4 calls out to me in a way, in my sight, or side vision. the same as the cluster of stars, ''the 7 sisters''. i cant spell it right now, an dont fee like looking it up.. besides, i wont remember how, anyway. at night though, even if i am not looking for it, my attention, is drawn to it.
    David, i talked of him at the 1st, can spot deer on the road better than i can. i pay less attention, when not driving is my excuse, though i seem to spot turkeys, and can tell, toms in the flock.. not hard when the beard sticks out, or they are fanning..
    though this sounds like some BS, if not more,,, anyone can acquire these skills, least ya be blind. i hunt with my right eye, yet it has a blind spot, right in the center. it still is my target eye..

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 8:44 PM
  9. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Only a bad idea if the pack is headed the right way.

Carl likes this.
  10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

If you want to go thru life sniffing the dog in fronts ass that's fine with me.

Junglekat likes this.
  11. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    You don’t have to be in front jackass you just needed to be pointed in the right direction.