Pension Bill

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Snareman2, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Guys the House passed the pension bill earlier tonight and the Senate just passed it too. Better start reading the 291 pages to see what was in it!

2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    A LOT or workers getting ready to get screwed over. My buddy this afternoon said he was glad he retired first of March now.

3. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    Attached to a sewer bill to get it on the floor. Pretty shady the way they handled it. Yea no one really knows what’s in the bill. Sad.

DH13 likes this.
  4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    With this BILL you will see an increase in sick people. Since they wont be getting paid for it when they retire.

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I heard they locked the teachers out of the state house before the vote, but it was reported to the state police and they ended up letting a few teachers in.
    I understand the age for retirement for teachers is raised to have to total 87, age and years teaching. I see the state having a hard time getting new and retaining teachers in the future.

DH13 likes this.
  6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Just reported on the news is they used the same excuse of we didn't have time to read it before the vote. Just went with party lines I guess.

DH13 likes this.
  7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    JUST SEEN ON THE NEWS MOST SCHOOLS CLOSED TOMORROW. TEACHERS MARCHING ON CAPITAL IN FRANKFORT.

8. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    My crystal ball isn't always clear but Im pretty sure I can see legal litigation over the way this was done without following state laws on doing a cost analysis of the bill. But then again I could be wrong.

9. Had the state paid a regular market driven wage to begin with instead of a below market one spiced up with a kick the can down the road juicy retirement fund we wouldn’t be in this mess. There’s a lesson to be learned here, either pay your bills as you go or make damn sure you have a plan to pay back every penny when it comes due. That was what my parents taught me along with pay down all you can even if you have to forego the purchase longer and get the note on the shortest term you can afford. We did none of that.

slicked-it likes this.
  10. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    I had my pension basically stolen from me at 45 yrs old. They froze it which made it worth less than half of what it would of been worth. Also lost health benefits for early retirement. So, I'm basically stuck working till age 65 unless I can figure out some sort of way to get medical insurance if I quit.
    I can make money but health care is just so damn expensive. So, I really don't have much sympathy for government workers being able to retire early with full benefits when I can't do it. My tax dollars do help pay for it.
    I think the only ones that deserve it are military, police(to include corrections officers) , firefighters, and possibly ems personnel. Everyone else should suck it up like the rest of us.

11. Larry Risner

Larry Risner 6 pointer

Mar 15, 2018
    Berea, kentucky
    My sister set's on a county school board. They where expecting to have a mass exodus of teachers who are going too retire under the old standard before this new bill takes effect. She said they expect to lose at least a 1/3 if not more across the board and that doesn't count administration people who will cash out to. She also said they are perplexed on how they will back fill when all they have to offer is crappy pay, crappy benefits and a crappy retirement plan.

DARKCLOUD and DH13 like this.
  12. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    I disagree. No need to suck it up and let it happen. That’s what happens a lot with Frankfort and why we have this problem. Teachers did not cause this mess period. They sure kept on taking money out of the checks for retirement but decided they would not fund it at the correct level. I bet the tax plan they come out with tomorrow will be a good one. Always looking out for the people.

slicked-it and DH13 like this.
  13. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    It's been coming for a long time. I was working for the state back in the early 2000's. It was known then what was going to happen.. they started screwing with the pension a long time ago.. no one cared, no one cared when it was regular ol' average joe state worker complaining. The guy holding the wrench, the guy working nights and holidays.. no one gave a crap until teachers started complaining. That's not a dig at teachers either, it's a dig at the average uninformed public..
    The pension fund has been robbed blind for years

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    DH13 likes this.
  14. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    It's a raw deal for a lot of people. But the blame doesn't lie with Bevin. He isn't the one who got is into this mess. People need to remember that.

kyfarmer1 likes this.
  15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    No but he’s not doing his job to help the mess either. His senseless name calling and refusal to hear anything except what he wants to hear in regards to the pension reminds me of the same types of school bullies he would probably preach against. I’m up and heading to work with kids. Yes, many districts across the state are closed. We’ve been short on subs for years so when they start burning these sick days and the non-qualified are working with your kids daily just remember that’s what the charter situation will be like as well. I’ll be working but I do support those workers who march. Most of the districts aren’t closing to protest, they are closing because they don’t have enough subs to cover the teachers taking off to protest. Remember they’re not refusing to work. They are protesting to get what they were promised so they can show up and do the work daily.

Lady Hunter and DH13 like this.