Penalty for failing to pay a civil fine?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Iceman35, Sep 28, 2014.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    You mean you wouldn't welcome your neighbors coming around with a yardstick measuring your mailbox to make sure it is exactly the prescribed height and distance from the pavement? You wouldn't want them to send your neighbor a certified letter informing him that his garbage cans must not be yellow, but may only be forest green or navy blue, and must definitely not be placed on the street before 5am and must be back in the garage by 10am?

Come on.

2. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    I know, how dare I. I should be ashamed.

3. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    I'll try to make this short.
    A guy moved in several houses down about a year ago. Within days there were cars (junk and good), trailers, lawn mowers, equipment etc in his yard. His yard turned into a mud hole the first rain. The neighbors complained to the magistrate who got a civil action against the property owner for breaking a zoning ordinance and gave him 30 days to clean it up.

The guy cleaned it up a lot within days and actually spent some coin to do it but it but was still pretty rough with several cars, mowers and equipment out in the front yard, and of course a muddy mess.

I stopped by and figured I would introduce myself to the guy and offer to help him get some gravel down. While we were talking he started in about how unfair it was that the county was forcing him to clean it up and he mentioned certain neighbors close by that he was sure had something to do with it. You could tell he had an "everybody is out to get me attitude" and was pretty sore about the whole thing because nobody said anything to him.

When he told me he couldn't undersdtand why everyone couldn't just leave him alone, I told him. I told him the previous owner kept the place immaculate and then he comes along and has a mud pit with junk laying around within a week and "what do you expect?" I let him know that nobody wants to see all that on the way home, let alone next door. I told him I live down the road and that I didn't like it because I was trying to sell my place back in the fall and every potential buyer drove past his mud hole on the way to my place just down the road.

I was straight up with the guy and told him he needed more land and to be off the road more because the way he kept the place would only upset folks. I figured he may get upset and tell me off but I could tell he seemed like a good guy, just "messy." I guarantee I have twice the "junk" this guy has, I just have more room and better places to hide it :)

I think it caught him off guard at first but after a couple minutes he started shaking his head and sayin "I know, I know." He went on to tell me how he moved from a place with more land/off the road and just didn't have anywhere to store all his stuff until he can find a bigger place and he knows it's an eyesore. He actually thanked me for being straight up with him and offering to help. He went from defensive to understanding just from being confronted about it in a respectful way. He's a single dad with 2 little girls who from what I could tell were very respectful and mannered. I don't know the guy from Adam but he sure seemed like a good guy to me. A couple weeks later he had a lot more cleaned up and seems to be doing more and more each week to get it lookin nice for himself and his neighbors.

I guess the moral here may be that if you give someone a chance and actually reason with em, they may not be as bad as you thought.

4. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville

Yes, because you have to be ultra=rich to live on hwy 480! ;)

5. lets say a person has a 300k house somewheres.a fellow moves in next door and junks his place up and that person take to wanting to sell his 300k place and all he can get is 200k because of the junk next door.now who is it hurting.

6. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Im on your side. Im just saying it may be a hard long process to do anything about..Having dealt with these kinds of things before with renters and such..I wish the best for ya' I do..Last place I lived I had close neighbors(about 100')..Never had that in my life..They nearly drove me to drinking and closer to violence than I care to admit..They were awful, nasty,dope head thieves. When I moved I bought enough property were Ill never have look at anyone again if I don't want too.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  7. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Yeah, I tried talking to them for a couple of years. Things kept getting worse, and I try and talk to them again. When all 4 of their dogs gets loose and come after my kid while he's standing in my driveway, in full view of the owner, and I don't get so much as a "sorry", then I was done talking. That, combined with a few other things I disapprove of my children hearing and seeing collectively led me and a couple of other neighbors to draw a line.

The whole neighborhood dislikes them, but apparently with the exception of two other neighbors, nobody else has the guys to do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    If done in a playful manner, I, much like you i would assume, wouldn't mind. However, if the dogs showed ANY aggression while "coming at" my daughter (just foe example), I wouldn't hesitate to put a bullet in each one with the owner watching...plain and simple.

9. yote hunter

yote hunter 12 pointer

Oct 30, 2004
    bullitt county
    Its hard to even find a house that isn't owned by a millionaire or some movie star.

10. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    I hear ya. I've got great neighbors up and down the road (even mud pit guy) but one of the ones thats actually next door is batty and theres no reasoning with the unreasonable.

Complained that my dogs were digging in her garden. No way it was her two that run loose to this day??? So I pen my dogs up just in case. Then she tresspasses on my property to turn my dogs out because she thought it was "cruel" to have them in their 75'X35' pen with shade, insulated dog houses and auto feeders. What happens next? She says they tore up stuff in her garage. When I asked how they got in her garage she says she let them in because she loves animals so much and was gonna let them spend the night???? I get a letter from her saying if I don't pay for damages she's taking my @$$ to court!

So ya...The moral to my previous story isn't always true. sometimes crazy is just crazy.

11. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Man im glad i dont have to deal with this kind of thing ! Lifes to short and if i cant piss off my front porch without someone seeing me i aint livin there.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

12. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    Amen, the best kind of neighbor is seperated by several acres.

13. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Ive had a cemetery on about every property Ive ever lived on, including now..They are the best neighbors one could ask for :eagerness:

14. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Don't tease me. Come spring we're looking for a place far away from neighbors. Two houses in 13 years of marriage, and two complete freakin morons for neighbors. Maybe 3rd time will be a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Been there friend, I completely understand..I wish you the best of luck I really do..