Pellet Grill

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by JonDunn, Nov 15, 2020.

1. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I've narrowed down between a Recteq and a Treager. Anyone have any experience with either one? I'm leaning more towards the Recteq. Treager scares me because of being in big box stores now an I've heard it is showing in their tempature control. Ill be fixin lots of fish, turkey, and chicken:)

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I don’t own one but I think there are a few Traeger owners on here and they love theirs.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  3. Loomis1228

Loomis1228 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2005
    Lexington, KY
    I’ve had Traeger grills for years. In fact I currently own 5 different ones. I’ve only had an issue with the small ranger version and I wouldn’t recommend it. The customer service is excellent and try very hard to make things right if there is an issue.
    With that said, the real question (in my opinion) is what you’re looking to get out of it. Is it about price or construction quality? My Traeger is a little flimsy, not insulated but cooks like a dream. Rectec is higher quality and more expensive but I don’t know a whole lot about them. They’re not mass produced like Traeger. I went with Traeger, fell in love with Traeger, because of the brand new one someone was selling on Craigslist. For $500 I couldn’t pass it up. It has been several years and it still works great.

4. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Can’t say about rectec I know they are the Ali and Frazier of pellet smokers.
    But the treager are fine cookers,just keep in mind they are a slow cooker. Wild game on the treager and then seared on the Weber nothing better. If price is of no concern look at the Yoder pellet smokers word is they are a little beefer and they have a sear setting.

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Did you purchase yet? A smoker is one thing I don’t have. Well, I smoke a little on my grill, but don’t have a smoker. Always looking to hear more about them.

drakeshooter likes this.
  6. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I am getting a pellet something. Can't make up my mind between a pellet smoker or a pellet grill that supposedly you can also smoke with.

Anyone tried smoking with a grill?

jblack1 and drakeshooter like this.
  7. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I bought a Pit Boss 850 Pro. I like it better than a Tregger it seems to get a lot hotter. I don't own a Trigger but my daughter does and I have used hers. I will say that if you are using it as a smoker you'll likely be disappointed.

8. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thank you. That's the answer I was looking for.

May buy a smoker and ask for a pellet grill for Christmas

9. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    If you are a Tightwad like me, you might want to go Electric. I lay small pieces of hickory on the element (think oven element) for the first few hours. You can get a LOT more smoke than with a pellet machine. Barrel part removed for photo.

[​IMG]
    My son has a Traeger and likes my shredded Smoked Pork Butt better than his.
    You can spend from $100 to $1000 on electric, by the way.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    barney and drakeshooter like this.
  10. When I was a teen my dad bought a small electric barrel smoker like that and he smoked a small butt and he did what you’re doing there except he’d gathered up a big pile of shag bark and he kept the smoke rolling from beginning to end. You couldn’t eat it and my mom gave him the business for messing up that butt lol.

barney, biged57 and JR in KY like this.
  11. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    When I fist started I ruined a bunch of chicken one day with wild grape vines. Didn’t peel the bark off. And used way to much. Life lessons are hard.

barney and drakeshooter like this.
  12. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I ordered the Recteq 590. It shipped out this morning. Ill keep yall updated.

13. HCDH66

HCDH66 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2019
    Hardin County
    Looking to get a Traeger myself. Ace Hardware has them $100 off right now.

14. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I use this exact method on my Brinkman barrel smoker. But not enough capacity for me

15. hossamassey

hossamassey 6 pointer

Jan 18, 2006
    I have a rectec and love it.

JonDunn likes this.