Part 2...

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by travis_duckhunter, Jan 18, 2010.

1. travis_duckhunter

travis_duckhunter 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2007
    Owensboro, KY
    I tell ya, I like to talk ducks and geese more than the average man, but since last friday, my boy has worn me out! So this morning I took him along to watch. The birds haven't been getting in the field till after 9 so we pulled up at around 8, only to see the field already covered with geese and ducks. I spooked em up, set up and we waited.

First couple groups wouldn't finish but after a little fine tuning we got it right. Had a group come barrel rolling in, one broke off right in front of the blind and that was it for him. Went out to retrieve the bird and the "pee bug" struck the lil one. Just as he got ready to let the stream fly, I hear a honk in the fog and look up to see the mother load coming in. Grab him and put him against the back of the layout. About 200 yards out they break into 3 groups. One group made no bones about it and landed about 40 yards out, I just let them be so he could enjoy the show. The other two groups circled several times honking like crazy and my boy was about to bust. Finally had one break off and took the shot at about 15 yards.

Hated it that we had to bust the big group, but it was worth it getting to see the lil one watch em work their magic. He was hugging the blind out in the open the whole time and never flared all those eyes, but also got the see the show as up close and personal as possible. He's ecstatic still and is begging for me to put in a hunting DVD, so I guess the rest of the night will be spend listening to more honks and watching barrel rolls as well as quacks and belly out mallards from the couch, further dooming him to this world of waterfowling. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FourSeasonsBowhunter

FourSeasonsBowhunter 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2002
    Cold Spring, KY, USA.
    God bless you for including the little fella. On the opposite end of the age spectrum, I was out with my 74 year old cousin on Saturday. He and my Dad were best friends. I lost Dad and he lost his best friend this past May, but on Saturday, after downing a goose, he looked at me and smiled because of the smell of the gun powder. He said he remembered when his Dad took him rabbit hunting about the same age has your little one. He said he was so excited he was physically sick..and then..he laughed. It was good to be out with him. Keep the family involved my man. Good job!

3. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    Good job Travis.I hope to get Tristen and Shelby out next year.

4. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Awesome story. Thanks for sharing. Those smiles tell the whole story!
    Congrats.

5. Ducknut

Ducknut Fawn

Jan 18, 2009
    Great job, can't wait for my 3 yr to be able to go couple of years. Its will worth the look on their face.

6. jettdog68

jettdog68 Spike

Jan 25, 2009
    NKY
    I love those waders on him!!!!!! Man, if you need anyone to help you kill a few of those birds, I d love to get my 9 year old son out on a field hunt sometime. We only have the ohio river to hunt here and I dont feel safe taking him on the river yet.
    Rich Y.

7. Congrats on another awesome hunt!!

8. duckrocker

duckrocker Spike

Dec 16, 2008
    on water or n the woods
    Little Man!

Glad to see somebody wacken those geese! Taken the little man is what its all about. Guys i work with said u shoulda been there at daylight this am. P.M me and my son (15) will give ya a hand on those corn monsters.