Papaws Hounds

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Chilly, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

My dad sent me an old picture today of some beagle hounds that my Papaw owned and he remembered as a kid. Dad had always told stories of these dogs and how they were some of the best in Marion County back in the day. This picture was taken when my dad was about 6 yrs old in the early 60's. This picture has been missing for quite some time but dad stumbled across it today stuck to the back of another picture. Can't wait to enlarge it and have it framed!
    image000001.jpg

2. cdalle6

cdalle6 6 pointer

Sep 13, 2009
    KY
    Being in my early 30’s, I sit back sometimes and think what life would be like growing up back when. Pictures like this really make me long to be born in a different era. Thanks for the share.

FF/EMT516 and Chilly like this.
  3. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    My dad and grandfather telling stories about the hounds they had before I was around is the exact reason I ended up with a couple when I was old enough to fool with them on my own. Got my first pup when I was 14 and had a couple around to chase bunnies ever since. Back then in Eastern, Ky it was tough to train a dog if you couldn't get to a reclaim some where. Old auger benches was the ticket for me then and that took some walking. Always seemed uphill coming and going but some of them old mountain jacks would run for days it seemed. My dad used to tell a story of an old female that they had named Daisy. Apparently she was a pretty dang good dog and well known in the area so they started having some litters of pups off of her. Dad said after 2-3 litters they had to tie her tits up with a shirt to hunt her because she looked like she had been in a war after hunting if not. Guess she had some kinda drive!!!

Chilly likes this.
  4. FF/EMT516

FF/EMT516 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2020
    Blackrock, Ky
    Same only almost to 30 lol

5. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I don't have beagles anymore but grew up with them. Speaking of life in that era....totally different world in the 50s and 60s. The political environment was totally different, shopping different, travel was different, work was different.
    My 3 boys rang in age from 32 to 40 and they all 3 have seen a LOT of the world. They tell me constantly how lucky they were to have grown up in the hills, hollers and creeks of rural Kentucky. But they all say that they wish they could have grown up with ME in the time period you speak of.

barney and Chilly like this.
  6. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    That’s good stuff right there.
    My dad always had around 16 beagle hounds at one time. Kept them for years. Damn good rabbit dogs and if they weren’t good dogs and got on deer well he’d catch up to them and just bring back the collar. Fun times we had as a kid.

Chilly likes this.
  7. Timholt70

Timholt70 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    I truly loved my beagle hounds when I was a kid.

raidergson and Chilly like this.
  8. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    If pictures could talk...

raidergson and Chilly like this.