Panthers in Kentucky

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by taxidervin, Oct 11, 2004.

1. taxidervin

taxidervin Spike

Sep 20, 2002
    There are reports of a panther being seen in Campbell Co.
    this year. Has anyone else seen or heard any reports of
    this truly happening. I know they were once here back in
    the 1700's and 1800's. Has anyone out there seen a mountain
    lion or a panther in Kentucky lately? Do you believe there
    could be some still around?
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. Old Oak

Old Oak 6 pointer

Oct 8, 2004
    back in KY!
    Every year there are reports of sightings in kentucky. Wouldn't one think that with all the hunters in the field that one would be shot?

If one sees a so called black panther or a so called cougar it has to be a pet escape.

In my opinion (old as it is), there is absolutely no wild population of cougars in this state.

3. Then explain the cougar kitten killed in Floyd county,the mother and another kitten ran off. Released pet ? maybe,if so then it is breeding in the wild,which would mean there is a wild population of some sort.
    here's a link,judge for yourself =
    http://www.easterncougarnet.org/

4. Old Oak

Old Oak 6 pointer

Oct 8, 2004
    back in KY!
    Yes, read about that incident while living in Illinois.

DNA testing showed 1/2 South American descent and 1/2 eastern cougar.

So was a pet breed and then escaped to deliver the kittens in the wild? Highly unlikely that a pet escaped then managed to copulate with a wild cougar in Kentucky to produce the roadkill kitten since there are no wild population of cougars in kentucky. All that shows is that at least one of the parents were of captive origin.

If we had cougars or the so called black panthers don't you think that one would have been killed by a deer hunter by now??

5. Old Oak

Old Oak 6 pointer

Oct 8, 2004
    back in KY!
    From your posted link:

Kentucky had one confirmation, a kitten killed by a car in eastern Kentucky in 1998. DNA analysis of the carcass indicated that it was of half South American genotype, suggesting that it was progeny of escapee/released animals or that at least one parent was an escapee/released animal. The mother and another cub were spotted and fled, indicating there was at least one family group in the wild even if one parent was once in captivity. This also does NOT suggest a breeding population is present.

6. COUNTRYBOY

COUNTRYBOY 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2003
    Butler Co, KY
    Well here we go again, believers and non-believers of the elusive panther. Even though I will say it once more and no one will believe except those who have seen,YES they are around. I have seen three in all my years of hunting. One solid blck and two brown and I have had witnesses on one occasion. Old Oak, that's what everyone says, "you would think that someone would have shot one by now". Did you know that they are protected in KY? If they aren't here,then why are they protected? I and a few of my buddies keep ads in the local paper about coyote hunting for local farmers who have yote problems. Just recently I had a lady to contact me and said she had heard we were dependable predator hunters, She proceeded to tell me she did not have a yote problem. Her and her husband had been watching a black panther cross her farm nearly everyday for two weeks and nobody believed them. She wanted it killed but I told her they was protected and was nothing I could do but I believed her. They are out there fellers,very few, but they are there.

7. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    I don't believe that they are protected. They are non-native and not listed in the Hunting guide. Fair game. I do believe there are some here, just pretty rare. If there were only say 10 or so in the state, there is a good chance no one would ever get a shot at one. A good friend of mine who fishes a lot of tourneys saw one a few years ago at Cumberland on one of the shale cliffs. I don't think for a second that he was wrong or lying about it.

8. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I think the "big cats" of Kentucky are abandoned pets. No, I'm not talking about the little kitty variety. So if someone is seeing cougar, it didn't originate in Kentucky, but was released by someone who owned it and decided the cat wasn't as cute now as it was when it was 10 pounds.

But I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone came upon a real Kentucky panther. I would be there's a few around.

9. Eastern Cougars are listed on the Federal Endangered List,Thus they are protected here regardless of any listing in a state hunting guide.
    I know that if DNA tested dead cougars have shown pure North american varieties in Missouri,Illinois,Pennsylvania,and Delaware. Then why not here in KY?
    I saw one as a teen in SW Virginia many moons ago,not a glimpse ever since,but If you look in western cougar territory ,not many are seen by the average hunter like you would think,another example is the Florida Panther,they have an occasional highway death,but with the large and growing Florida population few are ever seen.
    Until recently there were no bears in KY either! Right?

10. buckdroppings

buckdroppings 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2003
    Sligo, KY, USA.
    Worn out

I think I've been on here about a year and a half and this must be at least the 8th time this has been brought up. To answer your question from what I've read here in the past...Yes:eek: they are here but no one that says they have seen one has a pic or other proof....and the KDFW supposedly has one in a freezer that was run over:D ......Does that about cover it CountryBoy:D

11. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    If you see one, shoot it and tell everybody and then tell us whether you think they are protected or not.

http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7858&highlight=cougar

PROTECTED SPECIES OF WILDLIFE

No person shall import, transport, possess for resale or sell endangered species, hides, skins, or parts, or articles made from same of a species designated as endangered by the Department's regulations, except as provided in this section. As used in this section, "endangered species" means a species seriously threatened with worldwide extinction or in danger of being extirpated from Kentucky. The regulations promulgated shall include, but not be limited to, all species designated as endangered by the US Secretary of the Interior on January 1, 1973. The Department may permit, with conditions, the importation, transportation, possession, or sale of a species otherwise prohibited pursuant to this section for zoological, educational, or scientific purposes, and for propagation of such wildlife in captivity for preservation, except as prohibited (150.183).

http://www.natureserve.org/explorer/servlet/NatureServe?searchName=PUMA+CONCOLOR+COUGUAR

http://www.endangeredspecie.com/states/ky.htm

http://fw.ky.gov/kfwis/speciesInfo/speciesList.asp?strGroup=11&strSort1=CommonName&strSort2=ScientificName&strSort3=Class

Notice the eastern cougar listing on the last 2 websites.

Go ahead a shoot yourself one and take him in for your picture in the local newspaper. ;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  12. Old Oak

Old Oak 6 pointer

Oct 8, 2004
    back in KY!
    Who is the large game biologist for kentucky?

I don't have time today, but would someone call headquarters and see what to do with a cougar and a black panther on my property?

13. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Thay are here, I have saw a black and a brown. some day I am gonna get a picture, then maybe someone will believe me.

14. 30pointbuck

30pointbuck Spike

Oct 11, 2004
    glasgow ky
    until you've seen one yourself its hard to believe anyone else has. last year during early muzzleloader weekend i killed a doe sat morn. sat afternoon i went back with my brother in case he needed help if he got a deer. i walked into the woods found a nice nap spot & drifted off to sleep, after about 20 mins i awoke with the feeling someone was staring at me well guess who? at first thought i thought it was a bobcat but when it turned to run it had a tail close to 18" long then i thought it was a fox but it jumped over a fallen log stopped & looked back it had the biggest cat eyes that i had ever seen. was it a panther no it wasn't. it was a small mountain lion. whether it had been a pet & released i don't know. but it will sure make your skin crawl to wake up & see one 20' away.

15. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky