Panther Bait, Cougar sighting - Mtn Lion on the Loose in Central KY

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by JG26_Irish, Sep 16, 2019.

Have you ever seen a Mtn Lion in Kentucky?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. No

57 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Mtn Lions do not exist in KY

18 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I'll get this going again. A little perspective.......or not. Last week i got to spend some time with my NM outfitter friend, told him about the back and forth on here about big cats. His background, has been outfitting for 31 yrs in and around the Gila National Forest. He said he spends 275-300 days a year in the field, usually around 10 hrs/day. Also, that area has a healthy population of mtn lions. I asked him if he has seen lions while he's out, after laughing, he said you could count on both hands how many lions he has seen outside of hunting them. I asked if he had walked up on, or driven up on a lion. he said no way unless you're being stalked or there is something wrong with them (sick). He said he has driven a couple of hundred thousand miles on back roads and mountain trails, never seeing a cat. He said the closest he's seen one was a half mile across a canyon while glassing. They do have cats on trail cams as they put out cameras on hot game trails (verified tracks) or over scratches (like a deer scrape). He asked what the theory was on how cats supposedly got to Ky, swim across the Mississippi? I told him i had no idea.
    Has anyone on here heard of that theory?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    timer and Meatstick like this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Cats definitely don't like water..

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've seen about every critter there is cross bridges..... Who says they had to come from the West?

aaronc likes this.
  4. Brody

Brody 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    My lions, tigers, jaguars, all are good swimmers and don't mind getting wet. The Mississippi River would not slow one down I don't think

5. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    Probably a really good chance they swim here.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
  7. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    The cat or the boat got a little too close on this one. I think the cat was just wanting to hitch a ride.

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    That was crazy. Oar dude would have shit if that cat got hold of it.

barney likes this.
  9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
  10. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    Would be bad for a man to have to give his boat up to a mtn lion. Looked like he was gonna try to come aboard if that guy hadn't wacked him.

1wildcatfan, Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  11. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Always been told, play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

12. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I agree. Have you seen the video of the jaguars swimming up and catching cayman? Mean critters for sure.

Brody likes this.
  13. Brody

Brody 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    Yes, the jaguar video is what I was thinking about. When researched the mountain lion vids popped up. Wasn't sure about them.

14. Wildcatfan - Your NM outfitter friend's knowledge and perspective is interesting and consistent with my very limited experience. I worked several projects in 2009-2012 out in the NM desert near both Raton up in the Northeast and Las Cruces way down south close to El Paso and Juarez. Another was just outside Taos. Also worked jobs in AZ just North of Tucson and in Cali mainly in the Mojave. All of these regions are known cat country. All of the sites were out of the cities and towns and in open country away from Human habitat. Vegetation is sparse and visibility clear in most locations. Never, ever, did we see or encounter a Mtn Lion or even spot a track or kill site which might indicate they were nearby. The staff at the Wittington Center near Raton told us that some of them had seen em on rare occasion but that it was always a chance encounter and very fleeting. There was one exception. The Santa Teresa site near Las Cruces, NM is about 1/2mi from the Mexican border. When we first began construction the site was covered with scrub brush and sand dunes and needed to have all vegetation removed and dozed flat for site prep. One of the dozer operators reported seeing a big cat running out of some brush on the first day of clearing. It was assumed to be a Puma by the description of color, size, long tail, etc.

I did not know that they were such good swimmers but am not surprised since Tigers are known to swim. That video with the boat is wild. What was the guy thinking? That hiss was what my sister heard the 2nd time she saw the Mtn Lion on her farm in Floyd County a few years ago. She was accompanied by two of her large Labs. The cat had already killed two and seriously injured two others in two separate fights in her yard a few weeks prior. She heard the cat hiss and then silently slink up the hill a few dozen yards from her. She called the dogs to her and quickly went to her truck where a Judge revolver was stashed. Her Husband was about 100y back around the mountain on a bench tending to a copperhead. She called his cell and told him what she saw and let him know he was on his own and she was not getting out of the truck, lol. That was the last time she saw the cat and as far as she knows it has never returned. Her first sighting was the 2nd fight with the dogs. She only saw the aftermath of the 1st fight with a dead dog and another badly injured. When the 2nd fight occurred a few days later, she was ready and moved quickly to retrieve her 20ga shotgun (T shot) from behind her kitchen door. Ran out on the porch where the cat was fighting with the dogs again. She fired a shot above them because she was afraid she would hit the dogs. The cat ran up hill with the dogs in pursuit. It killed a 2nd dog and cut up another. Both the wounded dogs later recovered. Whole thing was over in about 20sec. She has about 10 chocolate Labs ranging in size from 80 to 120lbs that normally run loose on her spread. They would be the most likely to encounter a cat if it returned. More recently either a bear or a bigfoot (presumed to be a bear, lol) tore the fender off of her Toyota pickup while chasing a young coon. Lots of critters in that part of the state.