Panther Bait, Cougar sighting - Mtn Lion on the Loose in Central KY

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by JG26_Irish, Sep 16, 2019.

Have you ever seen a Mtn Lion in Kentucky?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. No

57 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Mtn Lions do not exist in KY

18 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
  2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Crazy to me that TWRA does not want them shot. Legal or not that critter is getting shot if i see one regardless of where im at.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Bullitt county cats. Migrated off Ft Knox.
    PhotoPictureResizer_191011_135142611_crop_2407x1443.jpg

Drahts likes this.
  4. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Just saw a black panther run across MetLife field on MNF.

JR in KY likes this.
  5. mallardkiller

mallardkiller 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    KY
    Time to pick this thread back up...

EdLongshanks and barney like this.
  6. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Nah. Let it die like the cats no one can ever get a picture of or shoot. Entirely possible one could pass thru. But they ain’t here. So many cameras in the woods and in people’s pockets with their phones. I just don’t see how no one can ever get credible, and provable photos if they are. They aren’t that elusive. Everyone and their brother all across this state get evidence of bears and their movements. Even all the way down into western Ky. If wild mtn lions were here, we’d know it.

hunt likes this.
  7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I have never claimed we have residents.... We don't. But the passer through, here and there, has come and gone for decades...

Dark Cloud, xbokilla and Brody like this.
  8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Lack of trail camera pictures is a lazy argument. No one is saying Kentcuky has a thriving population. We have a gazillion coyotes and we’ve personally captured like 6 pictures all year on our farm. We run 4-5 cameras on 150 acres. We have a boatload of coyotes. You’d think we’d have more pictures of them wouldn’t you? Same with bobcats except we only had 2 pictures of them this year....but we know they are there.

9. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I’ve had maybe 20 pictures of bobcats in 15 years on our farm in Marion county. But the guy down the road has trapped tagged and released dozens in the past few years for kdfwr

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    barney likes this.
  10. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Another deer season goes by and no sightings. I think this is the 18th or 19th year since we started this. And not 1 confirmed sighting.

ptbrauch and barney like this.
  11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Why don’t the cougars kilt by the department count as “confirmed?”

Dark Cloud, aaronc and barney like this.
  12. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    We capture an average of 6-10 coyote pics a week on 3 cameras running on 300 acres. On the 35 acre park farm we only run 1 camera and get 2-3 a week. You must be blessed with a low coyote population. It’s far from a lazy argument. People get pictures of Owls, Bobcats, bears, B&C bucks, etc... Things that aren’t always commonplace to see. Especially bears in Western Ky. I’m not saying it’s not possible for a random cat to pass thru. I’m sure it’s happened. My problem is with people who claim to see them on a regular basis and that they’ve had them for years. Yet they can never provide evidence.

ptbrauch and CRFmxracer like this.
  13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Since this thread is older and a mile long, I’ve probably stated this on another thread page. I’ve never caught a bobcat on trailcam, yet my dad and brother have seen them while hunting, so they are there. I grew up in the boonies, bobcat and rattlesnake country, and have never encountered either in the Wild, and literally spent my childhood in the outdoors (and I’m very observant). Also, we’ve not killed a lot of big bucks, but a few, and only 1 was caught on camera. A neighbor to our property has killed a couple of monsters right off his back deck, as his property backs to ours, and none of the ones he’s killed have been caught on camera. I don’t think we have a resident population of Mtn. lions but since they have been spotted both in Tennessee and Illinois, I’d say there’s a darn good chance they travel through Ky from time to time.

CRFmxracer likes this.
  14. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    In terms of relevance as stated there are a gazillion coyotes and bobcats out there,....thriving populations of both. Some folks rarely get either on cam as has also been said. Most if not just about all of you guys that run cams set them up to get pics of deer. They aren't really set up that often over a "carcass" or otherwise obscure place or rocky outcrops where a large cat would usually hang.
    Let's face it. 95% of them are sittin right on a corn pile,.......and bears LOVE that apparently so I really don't think they compare to bears,...bear pics ARE going to be the new norm even with just a few around. Who knows where a cougar would be if he decided to linger in KY,.....but my first couple guess would be the large refuge type places some of which don't even allow hunting or would have a low trail cam density or both. Mammoth Cave,..LBL....Daniel Boone has over 700,000 acres itself. If a cat or 2 are there what would be the odds of a sighting or trail cam pic,.........zero IMHO.

15. I could stick my head in the sand and yell "Nah, Nah, Nah" and that would not prove that there are no Mtn Lions roaming thru KY. The lake of photos is not really an argument. I carry by phone in my pocket and if you said "Go" it would take me about 8 sec to fetch it, unlock it, activate the camera and snap a photo. I have seen only two Mtn Lions in my life. One in Floyd and one on the Knott/Breathitt county line. Neither cat was visible for more than 2 seconds. In both cases I was riding a dirtbike and shocked the cat into running. Had I been walking thru the forest hunting/hiking etc I would never have seen it because it would have quietly slipped away unless I had dogs and treed it. We all agree that there are Bears, Coyotes, Eagles and Bobcats in KY. While in KY, I have never encountered a bear or bobcat and only 2 eagles and a handful of coyotes numbering in a few dozen. I have no photos of KY bears, bobcats or coyotes and only one grainy long distance shot of an Eagle in Knott Co. I have seen bears and bobcats in other states but still did not get time to shoot a photo. If a Cougar was close enough to get a decent photo, I would be thinking about safety measures instead of documentation. They are large, very powerful and amazingly fast. I have seen them leap 20y in one stride going uphill.

Law enforcement have killed at least two Mtn Lions in the last 6 years in KY East of Lex that I know of and I doubt I know about all of them. I never claimed we have a large breeding population but they don't stay put anyway. The cat in Pike County today could be in WV, VA, TN or Powell Co in a week. The guys who doubt this the most just have not seen one yet. It is a rare occurrence.