Panther Bait, Cougar sighting - Mtn Lion on the Loose in Central KY

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by JG26_Irish, Sep 16, 2019.

Have you ever seen a Mtn Lion in Kentucky?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    64.6%
  3. Mtn Lions do not exist in KY

13 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Eh I disagree somewhat. Lots of bobcat pics from KY. Heck, there are hardly any in Northern KY, and I have one from Campbell county on the property I hunt there the last two years. So even a somewhat rare, small cat shows up. However, none of a large apex predator. Weird

2. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I'll ask. What proof do you have that KYDFW is suppressing information/sightings of Cougars? The KSP event, which is circumstantial at best, there isn't any evidence to support the eyewitness accounts? Was your sisters dog examined and determined by a vet to have been killed by a big cat?

Not trying to be a jerk, but people think they see all kinds of things, but the human memory is pretty fallable. Eyewitness accounts simply don't cut it for me. Even were any of them a big cat, its impossible to tell if they were actually wild.

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I don’t think they are rare up here at all. On one particular farm in Boone county we seem them on the frequent...but only have 2 pictures.

4. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Rare is a bad choice of words . Less populated than in Central and western KY. I’m sure there are areas up here were they are quite thick

5. bstickin1

bstickin1 6 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    I seen my 1st bobcat in Barren county about 37 years ago. They call it "Barren" for a reason, lack of trees. I've seen and had pics of several since then. I'd be extremely surprised if there isn't a whole lot more in most parts of northern Ky than here.

6. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I get pics of bobcats on my farm in barren every year. But I haven’t yet been successful in calling one up.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Funny thing. Dad hunted around Mammoth Cave from the first deer season in the late 50's, until the early 80's, never saw a bobcat. All of his friends did, even I did.... He saw his first bobcat in the early 90's at Temple Hill in Barren county.

8. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I know 2 different people that both swear they saw one. Same county different times. Both are major outdoorsmen and farmers. Neither are bullshitters, and said I know what I saw it wasn't a damn bobcat or house cat. Whatever they saw they were 100% sure they thought it was a mountain lion. Who knows.

9. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Just thought, I have one more - same county. I had some encyclopedia computer program in elementary school called Encarta '97 I think. Me and a buddy were listening to a mountain lion sound on it and my grandma came in from the other room and said what was that? I used to hear that sometimes when I was a little girl and would creep us out. Always wondered what it was. Again, who knows...

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  10. YoteFinder

YoteFinder Fawn

May 30, 2019
    Hidden Holler
    I dont understand why people have a hard time believing or accepting there are cats and/or other creatures living out there... Whether wild or domestic cats? We as humans always think we have to understand all logic and be all knowing of everything and in control!

11. bstickin1

bstickin1 6 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    And with almost 70,000 acres of woods at the park, aint no tellin what might be lurkin there people haven't seen. There's a lot of remote places in KY that hardly ever if ever anyone steps foot on where big cats could be and never be seen.

Brody and YoteFinder like this.
  12. YoteFinder

YoteFinder Fawn

May 30, 2019
    Hidden Holler
    Very true alot of hollars in east ky mountains people maybe no been in for a few hundred yrs....

13. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    It blow people’s minds if they knew how many bobcats there are.

14. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    How long you sit?

15. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I voted no. That’s because I haven’t seen none.
    Don’t mean they ain’t out there though.
    Buddy claims he seen a black panther in richardsville (warren county) when he was a kid.
    Another guy I know took a pic of a black panther in Logan county several years ago while deer hunting.
    I saw the picture but it was pretty far away and looked like a black glob to me.

00noturkey likes this.