Panther Bait, Cougar sighting - Mtn Lion on the Loose in Central KY

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by JG26_Irish, Sep 16, 2019.

Have you ever seen a Mtn Lion in Kentucky?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    65.4%
  3. Mtn Lions do not exist in KY

13 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. A couple that I am friends with near Richmond on Clays Mill Road, (North of town off of I-75) were in their yard on the backyard patio one day last week when a full grown Mtn Lion bounded up the hill in the back yard and charged their position until it approached to within a few dozen yards where it stopped and hissed, snorted, growled at them. (I was not there so, I am describing this 2nd hand). They got a fright, the big cat got a fright and retreated. They have not seen it since but reported that some of the neighbors did.

I was a little amused when their 1st reaction was to want to kill it. They have been somewhat anti-gun, at least anti-ugly black-high capacity semi-auto rifle. Now they want a phalanx system for their back yard, lol. I am not vouching for the sighting other than to say the two adults making the report are mature, intelligent people of good report and not prone to wild, un-substantiated allegation. After a double eye-witness report one of the neighbors wanted pictures to "Prove" the sighting. Sorry, no pics it just happened too fast. These cats move around a lot. Anybody else spot one in the Richmond, Winchester, Berea Triangle?

Irish

Thomas Roberts likes this.
  2. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    There was a report on the Nextdoor App of one in Oldham Co a few weeks ago. But supposedly this one was also spotted a couple of years ago in the same area. Could someone have released a pet? Sure. Is there a wild one? Doubtful.

slickhead slayer likes this.
  3. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Brother in law was telling me about someone getting regular pictures on there game cam over around Mt Olivet. And his coyote hunting buddy saw one moving hay last week. Their getting pretty thick here in central Ky. I Told him to tell them not to report'em so we can just keep shooting them as an evasive.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  4. depletedyourcranium

depletedyourcranium Fawn

Sep 10, 2019
    Leslie County
    Mountain lions have been found in the state, just no evidence they from the state, meaning there isn't likely a breeding population here. That doesn't rule out a wayward male roaming outside the current established ranges, or a privately kept cat escaping from the owner.

5. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Evidence of a wild mt lion in ky would be the first.

1wildcatfan and CHL like this.
  6. Brody

Brody 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    I got a friend that lives near there, Clay's ferry. Him and his wife have seen one several times. There's liable to be anything living on those Ky river cliffs

7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    If they aren’t here yet....they are coming.

I think there are probably several throughout the state at any given time. I just wish the department would stop stocking them.

Nock, Ataulbe1, JR in KY and 4 others like this.
  8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    There have been sightings for decades..... Confirmed sightings. But, at this point in time, there obviously isn't a breeding population. But, it is coming....

9. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Link for these confirmed sightings?

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Google it yourself. There were confirmed sightings in Mammoth Cave multiple times. Confirmed at KOA campground in Bowling Green a few years ago. People have seen them around for decades, but they aren't residents, yet....

11. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Eastern KY and the KY River Palisades are perfect habitat for a big cat. Lots of cliffs thick woods and deer. That said I don't think there are any here but certainly possible one could pass through

12. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Remember Bill

1wildcatfan, Munson and Nock like this.
  13. nateb440

nateb440 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2011
    Might be a dumb Question, but if you see one while hunting, can you shoot it?

bgkyarcher likes this.
  14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Yep.

15. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    According to the KDFW there have only ever been 2 confirmations in Kentucky ever. A kitten hit by a car that had South African DNA so it was a pet back in 1997 and the one KDFW killed in bourbon county in 2014. No other verified sightings

1wildcatfan and slickhead slayer like this.