Paintsville Lake tournament article

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
The big bass in the Chick are Tiger Largemouth which are crossed Florida and an aggressive strain of Northern Largemouth. They grow fast, some claim 2 inches to 2# in 6 months. I don't know bout that but they are a very aggressive strain of bass. I'd love to see KY stock em.

web splitter

8 pointer
Feb 3, 2015
Why? What causes this? I always assumed the climate was the biggest factor.
No doubt climate is a contributing factor as is the fact that most Florida lakes are grass lakes vs rock. But supposedly the biggest factor is dna genetics. Kind of like different subspecies of whitetail, elk, etc. They all just don't grow the same.
There's been a big push among the pros to stock the FL strain bass like CRFmxracer mentioned. They often collect samples from larger fish caught in the bigger tournaments. KVD was talking about this extensively at the Redcrest.

CRFmxracer

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2010
louisville kentucky
So they can do as well as they do in Florida? A few, maybe, but not as many, right? So if someone catches one that’s huge will it be easy to ID as a Florida strain bass? I’ve spent a lot of time in SW Florida but haven’t really fished freshwater. I’ve seen Florida bass. I don’t think they look significantly different. So bass from Florida can just grow bigger no matter where they’ve been released? The concept just seems confusing to me. Thanks for the input.
They won’t do as good as they do in Florida but they will get bigger in kentucky than northern strains will and they will get larger more rapidly than northern strains. They also have a different look to them but it takes a trained eye to tell the difference

CRFmxracer

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2010
louisville kentucky
Florida strain would grow big enough to put a dent in other species. That would be good if it has a history of too many small crappie and other sunfish......but with stuff like this, you never know the outcome. Many years ago , in Greenbo Lake in NE KY, there was a huge amount of grass, and it was a bit of a problem. Some Einstein in Frankfort got the great idea to release a bunch of White Amur grass carp. Instead of doing their homework, they released something like 10 times too many for the lake size. In no time the entire lake, under the water, looked like a wasteland. There wasn't anything for the smaller fish to hide in. Even knowing this, the state wouldn't let people remove some of the carp, and it ruined one of the best large bluegill lakes in KY..... The bass fishing suffered for years also. I've seen many 11 & 12 inch bluegills come out of that lake, and after the grass carp, very few keepers. I worked there, so it isn't a rumor.
Greenbo puts out more fish over 8lb than any other lake in kentucky, besides 1 lake that I will not name. Greenbo is fine and I wish kdfwr treated every lake like they do it

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Thanks for the info y’all! Wasn’t Greenbo the largemouth record holder before Wood Creek? Also, seems I read an article once about 1 guy who had caught multiple over 10lbs in that lake. I’ve seen it but never fished it.

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
I wish kdfwr would take advice from Alabama, texas, and Tennessee. Hell even virginia has better bass fishing than kentucky. Look at cedar creek for example. The whole reason that impoundment was made was to be a trophy bass fishery. Not even 10 years into it they ditched the entire plan and stopped stocking trout, which is THE BEST food source for growing trophy bass. It’s pitiful, all they care about is stocking trout in fins lakes. We could have so much better fishing opportunities if they listened to what true sportsman want.
This. Kentucky fisheries are sorely lacking compared to states throughout the south. Take a trip to Tennessee, Alabama, or Mississippi and it becomes readily apparent. Doesn't have to be bass either, the fishing in general is just much better for all species.

ribsplitter

Cyber-Hunter
Jan 19, 2004
Greenup, ky, USA.
Greenbo puts out more fish over 8lb than any other lake in kentucky, besides 1 lake that I will not name. Greenbo is fine and I wish kdfwr treated every lake like they do it
I live 5 miles from Greenbo Lake. While it has produced some nice fish, it is far from managed. Now if the idea of management, is dump thousands of trout in a pond and see what happens, then it's fine. The lake is a perfect example of something that could be very special, with some work from knowledgeable biologists. If KDFWR did anything, they ruined it. Delbert Grizzle, from Flatwoods, is the guy who caught two state records from the lake. If you don't believe me come on over and fish one of the Saturday nighters. 3# will get you in the money about any weekend.

CRFmxracer

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2010
louisville kentucky
I live 5 miles from Greenbo Lake. While it has produced some nice fish, it is far from managed. Now if the idea of management, is dump thousands of trout in a pond and see what happens, then it's fine. The lake is a perfect example of something that could be very special, with some work from knowledgeable biologists. If KDFWR did anything, they ruined it. Delbert Grizzle, from Flatwoods, is the guy who caught two state records from the lake. If you don't believe me come on over and fish one of the Saturday nighters. 3# will get you in the money about any weekend.
I’ve fished greenbo. It’s a tough lake, but its not because of management. It’s a super clear highland reservoir. That’s just the nature of the beast. Malone sucks in the summer too but, it’s taken nearly 30# to win some tournaments.

ribsplitter

Cyber-Hunter
Jan 19, 2004
Greenup, ky, USA.
I’ve fished greenbo. It’s a tough lake, but its not because of management. It’s a super clear highland reservoir. That’s just the nature of the beast. Malone sucks in the summer too but, it’s taken nearly 30# to win some tournaments.
You think they do a good job, I think they suck, only a difference of opinion.

reivertom

12 pointer
Dec 17, 2007
Greenup Co.
It went through a bad spell in the 80s, which is the time I'm referring to. It has produced quite a few trophy bass historically, and things got better after they lowered the water to fix the spillway. I think the grass carp situation finally leveled out. All the state cares about these days is getting tourists to come fish for trout.

ribsplitter

Cyber-Hunter
Jan 19, 2004
Greenup, ky, USA.
I think my biggest problem with the department is habitat. The absolute lack of work on their part is typical. Things could be so much better with a little work. I see so much more done by other states, while fishing their waters and hunting their public ground. Excuses is all Ive ever heard from KY. I think Greenbo has a good number of large fish despite F&W rather than because of them. Damn they are hard to catch too.

reivertom

12 pointer
Dec 17, 2007
Greenup Co.
I think my biggest problem with the department is habitat. The absolute lack of work on their part is typical. Things could be so much better with a little work. I see so much more done by other states, while fishing their waters and hunting their public ground. Excuses is all Ive ever heard from KY. I think Greenbo has a good number of large fish despite F&W rather than because of them. Damn they are hard to catch too.
Back when they lowered the water level to work on the spillway, I think some folks actually placed some trees, and other cover here and there. Some fellows sank old Christmas trees a few times in January years ago, but I don't know if they still do. They would collect them and when the pile got big enough in the parking lot, they'd take them out and sink them. The state doesn't care about Greenbo, because it doesn't bring in enough money as a resort park. They thought trout fishing would attract people, but it was mostly locals.

ribsplitter

Cyber-Hunter
Jan 19, 2004
Greenup, ky, USA.
Back when they lowered the water level to work on the spillway, I think some folks actually placed some trees, and other cover here and there. Some fellows sank old Christmas trees a few times in January years ago, but I don't know if they still do. They would collect them and when the pile got big enough in the parking lot, they'd take them out and sink them. The state doesn't care about Greenbo, because it doesn't bring in enough money as a resort park. They thought trout fishing would attract people, but it was mostly locals.
Have you been to the Greenbo lodge in the last several years? If not, don't bother, it's pitiful and the food is disgusting. Dale Hollow Lodge is very well ran, and the food is good. As far as the Christmas trees, I have sank Christmas trees in every lake around here over the years also. If the fishermen don't sink them, then nothing gets done in most cases. I will give them props for creating some habitat at cave run several years ago, but they patted their own backs enough over that. There is just so much lacking in the efforts of FW I mean at least act like your trying.

Latest posts