Ozzy

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Tman6493, Jun 14, 2021.

1. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    We keep the food dish full plus feed scraps.

If I get a biscuit in the morning Sky gets one as well. If we cook; she eats too.

2. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    I feed all my dogs once a day. Late in the evening. I do it that way so that I’m not having to change feeding schedules based on if I’m hunting training or doing hunt tests that day.

Mossy Oak Boykins likes this.
  3. Tman6493

Tman6493 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    E collar conditioning is an up and down training for me. This is more of a rant to anyone thinking about getting into this then asking for advice.
    Now that we have all of the obedience down other then heel we have been making way on the collar conditioning. He picked up pretty quick on it. I have a soft spot for him tho and don’t want to hurt him to bad and this morning was the first time that while doing a “kennel” drill where I have him on the place board and when he steps off he’s zapped until he gets back on. We have done this drill plenty of times with no problems. He gets off zap and gets back on. Right now he’s good for about 2 minutes before he starts getting frisky. I usually keep him on there for 5 minutes. He gets off 2-4 times and they are short zaps. He hasn’t made it the full 5 minutes yet perfectly. For some reason today his stubborn butt decided to get off and stay off and wasn’t getting back on it. He maxed out the 10 second continuous shock and left me scratching my head. Went up a level on the collar. Told him to get back on it and he made a funny face but didn’t Yelp then ran straight for the back door and wasn’t going to move from that spot. and I could tell he was done for the day. I Felt really bad. Got him inside thinking he was going to hide from me and be pissed. He likes laying on the air vent on the floor. Went straight for it and went back to sleep. As I was packing up to head out this morning he jumped up in my lap and was as lovable as could be. Love that the little guy doesn’t hold a grudge. I guess he just wasn’t feeling it this morning.
    I think where I messed up is I didn’t have the level up high enough to make him really want to get back on the platform for the first couple zaps. I think he had gotten comfortable to level 2 through the week. Going to do some fun stuff for a couple days then bump it up a level or 2 so that he won’t have the stubborn confidence to just walk off a lvl 2 zap. He’s still doing great. I’ve wanted to post some videos on here just haven’t had time. He should be losing teeth any day now and I can’t wait to get into force fetch.

4. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    what program are you following? typically I collar condition with commands as opposed to staying seated. after a dog knows the commands very very well it is used to reenforce the command as a sit nick sit. you should quickly see a faster and faster response. but it may be different than the program you are using. Just curious.

5. Tman6493

Tman6493 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    Started out with “standing stone kennels/sprig” now we’re using duck dog basics. Come to find out the little guy was sick and I didn’t realize it. He’s got the squirts and doesn’t want to do anything outside. Just didn’t catch it before we started training yesterday. He’s doing a little better today but still not himself.

6. Tman6493

Tman6493 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    upload_2021-8-19_23-3-6.jpeg

Got little man a momarsh platform today. Wish I could post the videos I have of some of his first to and from it. He was so excited that he kept jumping early and landing short. Got the hang of it after a few tries. Tomorrow is going to be his first time making water retrieves with decoys on the pond. Just glad he’s feeling better.

HeadedWest, Gooser, bondhu and 2 others like this.
  7. Tman6493

Tman6493 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    Went to my first HRC hunt test today. Got to watch land and water started and some seasoned b. Really didn’t have the time or mind set to want to get into another hobby but looks like Ozzy just got a lot more expensive. Talking ducks to duck hunters is cut throat and a trust no one mentality. But everyone at the event was super nice and super helpful even tho it’s the same type of people. Everyone was happy and friendly and just an all around fun environment and you could tell everyone was very proud of their pups. Definitely going to be one of my goals now to get him to complete the started test and go from there.

BootsOn27 and HeadedWest like this.
  8. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 10 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Best way to tell if someone is new to duck hunting-they want to talk about ducks/duck season with strangers.

Inducky in Ghent? If so, we went yesterday. Not sure I’d be willing to travel as much as they do, but it’s definitely a cool event. After we got home and read the book, I realized Bigpudding was running a dog through.

9. Tman6493

Tman6493 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    Yep. I went to watch a friend just to see how it all was. I’m pretty well rounded when it comes to sports or any other competitions and thought I had seen it all. I knew of the hunt tests and stuff like it but I was blown away when I seen some of the setups. I think it’s cool how people can take any activity in the world and make a life style out of it. There were some guys from Mississippi that had a dog kennel trailer that had to be every bit of 20k+. I don’t have those intentions but I’m a goal driven kind of person and now I see what I need to train for so it will push me harder to train him instead of just for hunting. That was my first time seeing a retriever actually work in person and I can honestly say watching a dog work like that was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.

HeadedWest likes this.
  10. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    yeah I ran and it showed that I had only had time to train about 5 days all summer. almost made it thru on saturday sunday she lost it and broke on the second bird. lots of work but man it is a blast. hung out with some friends and the shrimp boil on saturday night was awesome. ran into the same couple i met this spring thats from michigan. they are so into it they are looking to move further south so they can train more in the winter time. everyone is great and helpful at all of these events. These were some of the best bird girls I have seen at a test. they hustled and we had very few complications other than some electronics.

HeadedWest likes this.
  11. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    lots of pro trainers with setups like that. Best part of all of it is they are for the most part great guys who enjoy helping new people. The spring central ky test we sat in the parking lot of the hotel till 10pm drinking beer and talking with some of the pros and judges. Go hang out and you can learn a lot. Jump in and help with tests and some of the local guys will get to know ya and invite you to train some and then you can really learn a lot.

12. Tman6493

Tman6493 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    I’m going to get his kennel this week. He’s growing out of his puppy one. Going to get a gunner or lucky duck.

Can any of you help me on the size that your full grown male has. Intermediate or Large. I know it’s different sizes based on peds but he’s more American the English and I don’t think he will be huge. But I hate to spend that much money on a large and it be to small.

Also any opinions Gunners vs Lucky Ducks would help.

13. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    I have found you dont want the dog to have to much room. At the beginning I started with an XL then found they do just fine or better in a smaller kennel especially if they will be overnighting in the truck when its cold. You might also want to look at these. I love there coolers and plan to get one of these next time I order one.
    https://store.jacksonadventures.com/orion-kennels-ad4/

14. Tman6493

Tman6493 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    I didn’t even know Jackson made a kennel. Those are pretty cool. Thanks for the share.