Oyster Mushrooms are Here

kycooner

8 pointer
May 2, 2007
I have always called them Tree Shrooms some call them Elephant ears. One thing for sure they are real good eating,,This mushroom fries great,,just roll in season flour cook on high heat till brown on both sides.
This cool damp weather there out, I seen 3 different trees yesterday just riding down the Highway.
Pics
BirthdayMyJeepnMushrooms085.jpg

BirthdayMyJeepnMushrooms088.jpg

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
My favorite shroom by far! They are SO versatile and tasty, not to mention a great value!:)

rcurry

6 pointer
Mar 29, 2006
Adair county, ky
Oh how I love mushrooms! I’ve only eaten ones purchased at the grocery. Wish I was educated on identifying the ones that are safe to eat that grow wild in our woods. My gut instinct tells me not to attempt gathering them solo for fear of picking the not safe for human consumption ones.

philipfleek

12 pointer
Feb 24, 2008
philville, KY
Oh how I love mushrooms! I’ve only eaten ones purchased at the grocery. Wish I was educated on identifying the ones that are safe to eat that grow wild in our woods. My gut instinct tells me not to attempt gathering them solo for fear of picking the not safe for human consumption ones.

Barney has a story about mushrooms and Tom Brokaw. I think it was Brokaw?

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Just a few species of "large enough to eat" shrooms are deadly poison, some species will make you sick, but most just don't taste good, or are to small to consider.
Oysters mushrooms are very easy to identify with a book...and, to the best of my knowledge, they are the only shroom that grows on wood this time of year..especially after a few days of damp weather..
I have several books on the subject, but this one is a favorite. I recomend it to anyone interested in edible mushrooms..
http://www.amazon.com/Mushrooms-Demystified-David-Arora/dp/0898151694

Last edited:

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Any chance of mistaking this type with a non edible

I really hate to give advice on mushrooms, so I wont..But, that being said, it is hard to mistake the Oyster..They are about the only species that grows on wood this time of year..and ALWAYS after extended periods of wet gloomy weather. Oysters really like dead Poplar, Elm, Maple, and to a lesser extent Oak.

kycooner

8 pointer
May 2, 2007
Scales will grow on trees ,,when its damp there real Orange as soon as the rain quits they turn white,,I have some growing down by the end of my driveway by the creek,,I'll try to snaps some pics of them when I go Out. I've heard these are ediable,,but they just don't look that appetizing at to me.