Owen County Deer Harvest

rlb165

12 pointer
Dec 10, 2001
I have not seen any sort of decline in the turkey in my area. There was a flock of a dozen or so Toms I saw on a regular basis from the stand, and plenty of hens to go around. Are you in Owen as well?
No, we’re in Hardin County. We’re #1 on Telecheck for deer, and #4 for Spring Turkey, so I’m hoping it’s a very local thing.

WaterDog88

12 pointer
Jul 28, 2008
Kentucky
I don't deer hunt in Owen county much but do spend a lot of time turkey hunting the wma's there and in my opinion the turkey population has been declining for the past few years. Coyotes may have some effect but the nest raiders are bad.

Strutter

Cyber-Hunter
Dec 9, 2001
USA.
Just curious but are you guys that are seeing less turkeys hunting areas that is getting overgrown with bush honeysuckle?
I didn't have any honeysuckle 10 years ago and had lots of turkeys. Now I have 0 turkeys and so much honeysuckle you can hardly walk the hillsides without getting all tripped up. This stuff is growing like crazy under the cedar thickets.

Grago

12 pointer
Dec 13, 2016
Im not in owen county but we have plenty of deer but turkey on a big decline so bad some have just quit hunting where i hunt used to hear a lot of gobblers now maybe 1 or 2 if lucky landscape hasnt changed where i am so dont know the problem heard a lot of different theories but none been proven saw a few hens this fall most without poults saw one hen with one so its just not your area but others say they see as many as ever or more so dont know what our problem is

Grago

12 pointer
Dec 13, 2016
I would say you are correct i have often wondered if bobcat get in the tree with them while they are roosted even if they didnt get them would probably knock some out or scare them into flying out and then coyotes get them

WaterDog88

12 pointer
Jul 28, 2008
Kentucky
Just curious but are you guys that are seeing less turkeys hunting areas that is getting overgrown with bush honeysuckle?
I didn't have any honeysuckle 10 years ago and had lots of turkeys. Now I have 0 turkeys and so much honeysuckle you can hardly walk the hillsides without getting all tripped up. This stuff is growing like crazy under the cedar thickets.
In my case no. Really no major habitat changes. It seems localized. If I drive 70+ miles south east I see very large flocks and the numbers seem stable. I blame coons possums skunks etc... I'll tell ya right now if I see any of those I'm gonna roll his azz with a hollow point. In season of course...

rlb165

12 pointer
Dec 10, 2001
We only have 1 little patch of bush honeysuckle here. I know of some places around town where it’s really taken over though. Nasty stuff.

Bone_Chaser

8 pointer
Sep 12, 2014
Whitley Co
I had a lot of fun in Owen County back in 2014-2016. All on public land. I worked 7pm-5am and was able to hunt most every morning. Don’t think I could do it anymore. A lot better hunting than my “prime” zone 4 spots. I miss it a lot. I probably put a decent dent in the population.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
Coyotes always get the blame! I don't buy it yrs ago we had tons of Fox's and plenty of rabbits and quail, deer didn't exist much.
Everyone coon hunted also, now coon hunters can't hunt like they used to everyone hates them running on they're land and coons have gotten very bad.
Bobcats pluck turkeys off the roost, sure coyotes eat what ever they can find even a young fawn!
But coyotes always get the blame when in reality it's a combination of changing times and lack of dead coons and the Apex cat predators doing the most damage.

OLE RASPY

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2018
Barren county
I would say you are correct i have often wondered if bobcat get in the tree with them while they are roosted even if they didnt get them would probably knock some out or scare them into flying out and then coyotes get them
Coyote gonna be hard pressed to get a mature bird. Male or female. They may get a few poults. But I’d say bobcat is hard on them. Like you said they will getem in the trees no doubt. Coons skunks and possums are hard on the nest. I mean hard.
As far as deer. Yes coyote gonna kill some fawns.
I called in 1 yote this year with Fawn distress. They know the sound.

Munson

12 pointer
Dec 24, 2011
Natural Bridge
Everything pretty much in the food chain loves eggs, whether they eat or just destroy them. I'd bet ol no shoulders gets a fair amount too. Loss of prime nesting habitat factors in as well. I wish I (or someone) knew the answers to bring our tasty animals to a balance with the non tasty ones..haha I'll keep dreaming and not hold my breath...

KHILL

6 pointer
Apr 16, 2008
I live in Owen Co and the deer and turkey numbers are definitely down on the properties that I’m hunting. The decline I’ve seen in deer is in the doe population and for the last 4 years the turkey population is not even close to what it once was and I believe that there are multiple reasons for these declines not one specific reason.

Sako_280

Fawn
Nov 18, 2019
Owen County
I live in Owen Co and the deer and turkey numbers are definitely down on the properties that I’m hunting. The decline I’ve seen in deer is in the doe population and for the last 4 years the turkey population is not even close to what it once was and I believe that there are multiple reasons for these declines not one specific reason.

I just refreshed the harvest numbers, currently at 2,310, still 500 down from last season. Owen currently ranks 10th in state , was #1 producer from 2000-2015. Like
Ataulbe1 said, word must have spread quickly.

Latest posts