Overall opinion of 2019 rifle season.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by EastKYHardwoodHunter, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    images (1).jpeg

davers and 1wildcatfan like this.
  2. Bohannon

Bohannon 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2017
    Floyd

Cool story! Glad you cared enough to reply. Any decent talking points or are you good with just being a moron?

3. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I'm obviously a better moron, than I am a talker...

Brody and 1wildcatfan like this.
  4. Bohannon

Bohannon 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2017
    Floyd
    ‍nothing wrong with that lol

Meatstick likes this.
  5. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    Maybe your deer patterned you.

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Climate change is affecting the rut. Deer hunters should protest.

Regulator623 and Meatstick like this.
  7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I hunted very little this year. Saw lots of does. 1 Ight pointer. No rutting activity. Only 2 small scrapes an 1 rub.

8. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Obviously the whiners finally managed to move the rut outta gun season this year

jblack1, DH13, Munson and 2 others like this.
  9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    This past rifle season was one of the best seasons I've seen in past years. Only problem was the lack of acorns that seemed to be a bumper crop back in May, but guess the hot and dry weather caused the oak trees to abort their acorns before they became ripe; hopefully next year's crop will be heavy. But despite the acorn crop or lack of it; I've seen more Deer this past rifle season, on my property.

10. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Mason county. Saw plenty of bucks, lots of chasing, and all kinds of rut activity in general. Rifle season was good, but the couple weeks leading up to modern firearm were very exciting. I’m still holding a buck tag in hopes of getting lucky with a bow or muzzle loader when food becomes more of a priority. Anxiously waiting for a giant to present himself.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    davers likes this.
  11. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    I think I saw only two bucks during all of rifle season - a little tiny 6 and a funky small-bodied 8. At least in daylight. According to my cams, the big guys were all here at night and NEVER seen during the day. Even pics of them feeding with does around. The week before season though, they were chasing every doe in the area. Now at the other end of the county, the guys reported chasing all the way thru season. No real big bucks but several small ones running does right up to the last day.

12. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    Pretty much the same as always in NKy. Everyone in my group killed a buck which is a bit unusual. Nothing very big rackwise however - 3 deer did crack the 200 lb mark field dressed. Still seeing them - saw 8 while squirrel hunting the other day. Have one youth hunter left - will try during muzzleloader. I will say I didn't think there were as many shots this year.

13. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    In the area I hunt around Waco , I might have heard 2 shots close ( meaning within 1/2 ) and a few in the distance, overall about the same as last year. The only difference this year most my buck pics are at night..

14. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    We’re in Hardin County. This was the best year we’ve ever had here. Opening morning, I took a decent 10 point, with lots of junk on his brow tines. That’s the first time I’ve ever taken anything on opening day.
    My son was sitting at a different spot. He passed on the buck I took, and a few others. He had one certain buck that he wanted, and wasn’t going to shoot anything else.
    I posted here somewhere that we’d seen 7 or 8 different bucks, but I think it was actually a few more than that. Twenty-some does, but it was hard to say for sure, with all the chasing.
    I watched 2 young bucks work a mock scrape line I had made. That was a rush!
    Last day of season, I took a doe, because she was by herself in a food plot. Right after I shot, 5 more does came in to the plot. They kind of looked at the doe I had shot, but fed around her like nothing was going on.
    Both the buck and doe had more fat on them than I’m used to seeing.

Those of you that had a rough season, I hope things get better for you soon. Things got awful here in the early 2000’s, and it took about 5 or 6 years to recover.
    In fact, the doe I took Sunday was the first one I’ve taken since 1999.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    HCDH66 likes this.
  15. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    I get what you’re saying about the extra week, but I can understand why they added it.
    Years ago, I was frustrated that Hardin County was Zone 1, when there were very few deer around here. At the same time, 2 adjoining counties, Grayson and Breckinridge, were zone 3. I know guys that lived/hunted there. They were frustrated because they were loaded with deer, but had less hunting time than I did. They didn’t think it was fair that we all paid the same for our tags.