Overall opinion of 2019 rifle season.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by EastKYHardwoodHunter, Nov 24, 2019.

1. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter 6 pointer

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    Curious what people thought of the hunting. For me, in eastern Ky, worst rifle season I’ve ever hunted and I’m 37 years old, hunted since I was 12. no rut activity whatsoever and very few sightings. seen very few deer this year. numbers r way down in my area, more than I originally thought after ehd 2 years ago. very disappointed. Tell me what u guys saw overall compared to last couple years

2. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Prolly my best hunting deer this year. Saw more bucks and more chasing than ever.

3. EastKYHardwoodHunter

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    What part of the state u hunting ?

4. Grago

Grago 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Been good here years ago after first couple days and i mean years ago you would be hard pressed to see a buck i had a friend see 5 bucks this morning and im still getting pics of bucks i hope we dont get a disease i feel for you guys in the eastern part that had the big losses

5. Brody

Brody 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    Hunt EKY also and it was a very tough yr so far. Had 2 target bucks that never showed except at nite. Very few rubs,and scrapes and almost no acorns in my area. Population seems lower this yr too. Hoping late ML its game on!

Junglekat likes this.
  6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Son Seen less Deer this years than before GLAD IT IS OVER.

hardtimes and muddhunter like this.
  7. hoene

hoene 6 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Hunt Owen County, Rut was great saw lots of deer.

8. Fanattic78

Fanattic78 Spike

Dec 19, 2017
    Western Ky
    Saw less deer in the woods than ever. First morning saw 3 doe and 2 small bucks chasing a doe. did not see another deer till the second Sunday afternoon a lone 8 point. This past week had to go back to work saw multiple big bucks chasing does across roadways on my drives to and from work. That' it. Saw more coyotes this year than ever may be part of the problem.

9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Last season there were 6-7 2.5-3.5 year old bucks (9-10pts) that survived through the end of rifle that were regulars. My expectations were high for this season but they were GONE and never showed this year. This was very disappointing. Doe sightings were low as well.

But, we have killed 4 deer so far (i always give 1 away each year), but we typically kill 5-6 so hoping to get 1-2 more does before season ends to top off the freezer. I did miss a doe with my bow and got busted once as well. I killed both the other does i saw. My step daughter killed a buck and i killed a small buck in estill county. I hope my WW will pull a couple does in bow range post rifle season.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  10. Shelby21

Shelby21 Spike

Mar 21, 2019
    Louisville
    Best overall year for me and my crew since the mid 2000s

davers and carnivore like this.
  11. Bubbles

Bubbles Banned

Oct 25, 2016
    My 2nd worse year ever. Saw 1 deer. 4 years ago i saw zero deer. Poor mast crop and no food plots = no deer.

12. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I guess I'm the exception. I hunt mostly eastern ky (wolfe county) and we saw more than we had in years. Very successful season. Hunted some in Estill co as well and saw several.

davers and RLWEBB like this.
  13. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    South central ky. Barren butler and Logan counties

14. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I never seen any chasing this year.
    First morning of rifle season I saw three small maybe 120" buck's , evening time
    second morning saw four does .
    Last night I saw a deer moving so fast I could not tell what it was and one buck right at dark
    Today I saw zip , nota , nothing. Oh but plenty of squirrels.
    Before season I saw lots more ground scrapes than usual, maybe 10 times as many
    Very few tree rubs until the last couple of days , today I saw lots of new rubs.
    I say it was a low year for deer.

JC931 likes this.
  15. EastKYHardwoodHunter

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    I know a few fellers that make it hard on deer in Wolfe. Lol

Ataulbe1 likes this.