"Over 100,000 Dead Deer"

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by predator, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    If we assume that 100,000 dead deer is even close to being accurate (which wouldn't surprise me at all), it's less than 10% of the total herd. It seems to me that the ONLY areas that would be of concern from a biological standpoint would be Zone 3 and 4 counties. Maybe some Zone 2 counties as well if they got hit particularly hard???? IMO, this is true b/c it appears to be a poor year for mast, which will keep the deer in the fields, which, in turn, will make the deer more susceptible to hunting pressure. A high harvest would not be desirable in those Zone 3 and 4 counties if a lot of deer have already been killed off by EHD.

KDFWR is trying to reduce the herd numbers in Zone 1 counties, so a naturally caused declined wouldn't create any concerns. In fact, it would probably be welcomed from a biological standpoint. I think this would be true even if 20-30% of the deer herd died from EHD.

2. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    I think you are wrong again. KDFW biologist have stated that a 10% would not effect the current regulations.

Could you post the link for this article?????

3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    One thing to remember.... and I'll admit I dont necesarrily know much about it but for setting seasons / limits /zones.... the KDF&WR utilizes a percentage in addition to the harvest numbers to base decisions. Otherwords... if harvest was 120,000 deer...they assume and its been stated at 40% or higher is added to those numbers to cover illegal / unchecked harvest mortality...poaching..disease..roadkills.

So.... just a rough estimate but they already figured in around 50,000 deer that would die by means other than legal hunting. The percentage used could be higher or lower...dont really know. As several have stated....with a heard of 900,000 deer estimated....its not as bad as it seems considering the overall population.

4. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    My advice to everyone is to just stay at home come October 20th-21st, and November 10th--especially if you were planning on hunting in Trimble Co. I've already looked around and there aren't any deer left there. EHD must have got them all.

Also, if you had a place picked out where you were planning on hunting, let me know where it is and I'll come out there on sometime either October 20th, or 21st, or sometime between November 10th and 25th or so and look around there for you. After I'm done, I'll let you know how many deer I didn't see--EHD must have gotten them first. I do have a degree in biology, so I know what I'm looking for.

:D

5. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

There are really just too many factors to guess what will happen. But if the harvest is down at the end of the season I'm sure EHD will be the first thing that pops into everyone's head.

6. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Yep!

No one will remember the poor mast due to the late spring freeze OR the very hot super dry summer/fall....... :D;)

7. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    If we have a poor harvest, EHD would actually be the first thing I'd attribute, not the spring freeze or drought.

I think a poor mast crop leads to better hunting, not worse. I also would suspect that drought and heat had only have a negligible mortality on the deer here in KY. KY ranks only behind Alaska in flowing water, and the deer are pretty much acclimated to our usual summer heat.

Barring some horrible weather during the gun season (75 degree sunny days), one would have expected Ky's harvest to be exceptional this year. Mild winter last year and great nut crop to get the critters through the winter months.

8. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    Believe what you want. but I am just telling you what I've read, on a Indiana Hunting forum. No they, or whoever posted, it didn't give a website. Sorry, and if they did I would have posted the site.

9. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY

Well then, " I rest my case" :D :D :D

10. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Here's the bottom line for those worried about the deer herd; Don't go hunting this year if you think the deer population is hurting from EHD. I don't see how anybody can complain about numbers and continue to kill deer.

11. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    guys look at the numbers closer.
    They are estimating that 10% of our herd could be killed by EHD. If our herd is around 900,000, thats 90,000 deer dead from EHD.
    We kill about 15% of our herd during deer season. Out of that 90,000 dead from EHD, we would have only killed 15% of those, which is 13,500 deer.
    If you divide up those 13,500 deer among our 120 counties, thats 112 deer per county that we would have killed. thats not that many deer.
    also take into consideration that with ample opportunities to kill deer, people that would have killed one of those 13,500 deer, will probably still kill a different deer.
    I say the harvest won't be off by much, and if it is, larger factors such as weather on opening day will be the larger factor.

12. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Basically, if 100,000 are killed, the herd will be the same size it was 4 or 5 years ago. I remember the hunting was still pretty good way back then.:cool:

13. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Ate up - Since I'm one of those people that's concerned about our deer herd, I'll take you up on your offer.

I promise I will not shoot a buck in Kentucky from this day forward through the end of the season. ;):D

p.s. Since I don't care about Indiana's deer herd though, all bets are off over there.

14. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    No, First you posted you read it on the front page of an Indiana newspaper. Now you say you read it on another forum.

You seem to have a history of posting false, incorrect, BS information. When asked to back it up with facts you never can. This is how these stupid internet rumors get started.

15. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Hoosier5 must've really gotten you good when he put that burr under your saddle. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.