Outside dog

FF/EMT516

10 pointer
Nov 22, 2020
Caneyville, Ky
We recently got a dog, he’s an outside dog. I’m guessing him to be a bloodhound mixed with maybe redbone or some other type of hound. Anyway he’s supposed to be 6 or 7 years old and about 65 lbs. I’ve had several dogs before but was just curious, what do some of you do to keep your outside dogs warm in the winter?

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
We recently got a dog, he’s an outside dog. I’m guessing him to be a bloodhound mixed with maybe redbone or some other type of hound. Anyway he’s supposed to be 6 or 7 years old and about 65 lbs. I’ve had several dogs before but was just curious, what do some of you do to keep your outside dogs warm in the winter?
Solid dog house with plenty of insulation........... If it gets really cold (single digits), and only one dog, bring it inside.

FF/EMT516

10 pointer
Nov 22, 2020
Caneyville, Ky
I brought him in last Wednesday and Thursday nights. He’d stay in every night if I would let him. His house is one of this plastic type houses and has a lot of hay in the bottom and straw on top of it plus a thing in front to block the wind. I work tomorrow but have some bubble wrap insulation I’m thinking about making a door flap for him and trying to put some inside as well.

FF/EMT516

10 pointer
Nov 22, 2020
Caneyville, Ky
Hot chicken Broth over cooked chicken and rice!
I made ribs in the crock pot today and had a leftover bowl of taco meat in the fridge and dumped it in the juices from the ribs and gave it to him for supper. It was still steaming outside. I figure that must’ve put him to sleep after that because I never heard a peep out of him and he’s been in his dog house ever since.

KY Swamp Beagler

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2011
the swamps of western KY
Make sure his dog house isn’t too big for him. People like to get big, fancy dog houses because they think the dog needs room. The dog only needs enough room to get inside and turn around (or curl up).

A smaller dog house is easier for a dog to heat with its body heat. A door flap is a good idea to knock off the wind. Also pointing the back of the house north helps.

I’ve used cedar chips and straw for bedding. I think straw is warmer.

Also, folks in KY tend to worry about dogs in the winter. Winter isn’t the killer. Summers in KY are the killer. Far more dogs die from heat exposure than exposure to the cold. If a dog is able to get “high and dry” then they’ll do fine in winter.

Feeding a good dog food in winter is important, too. I like to pour warm water over my dogs’ hard kibble to ensure they are staying hydrated in winter.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
IMG_2362.JPG
IMG_2363.JPG

Do not put bubble wrap in there. Especially not somewhere he can eat it. that is dangerous for the dog. Straw inside his box. You could buy a plastic kennel and a insulated cover for it, put straw in the bottom and he'll be fine. Shut him in at night and if cold zip the flap shut. When you open him up in the morning you'll feel the heat roll out of it. Keep it on your porch or in the barn. Mine are a bit spoiled!

Last edited:

aaronc

12 pointer
Jul 21, 2009
Leitchfield
View attachment 96425 View attachment 96426

Do not put bubble wrap in there. Especially not somewhere he can eat it. that is dangerous for the dog. Straw inside his box. You could buy a plastic kennel and a insulated cover for it, put straw in the bottom and he'll be fine. Shut him in at night and if cold zip the flap shut. When you open him up in the morning you'll feel the heat roll out of it. Keep it on your porch or in the barn. Mine are a bit spoiled!

lmao,.dang Drahts ;)

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds

That seems nice. I simply like keeping my cars warm too.

Might be unconventional, but this works extremely well as a bed and is the model# I have for them, in addition to their blankets and only because they like to snuggie with them. I simply wipe it down with disinfectant wipes. Keeps them comfortable and healthy.

Drive Medical 14901 Premium Guard Gel-Foam Mattress Overlay

The new and improved Drive Medical Premium Guard Gel Foam Overlay optimizes pressure redistribution and comfort in the prevention treatment and management of pressure ulcers. The new design ideally combines 3 gel bladders high density foam shell and a vinyl support base. The improved design decreases the migration of the gel layer so [dogs] won't bottom out and the convoluted egg crate foam top layer provides vastly improved comfort.
  • Premium Guard Gel Foam Overlay.
  • Width: 42".
  • Depth: 76".
  • Height: 3".

https://dailysteals.com/drive-medic...4nZL_uNYkWS8WL2RgchL8Ps3P8rdVrChoCdVIQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

Latest posts