Outdoor Wood Boiler - Opinions needed

7mmx2

12 pointer
Nov 8, 2007
KY
How do you heat your home? I'm thinking of purchasing a new Natures Way Wood Boiler 170. We blow through about $1400 a year on propane and this will help ease that pain. It's the upfront costs that hurts ($7,500) but will almost eliminate the Propane by about 80% usage. I was hoping to gain some knowledge that you all have gained about boilers and what you would do different with your experience. Thanks for the help with this! I'm an over thinker and need you help.

Marsh CallUser

12 pointer
May 20, 2011
Bowling Green, KY
Couple questions:

Is your home energy efficient?

Have you sealed your doors and windows?

Do you have extra insulation in your attic?

If you haven't done those things, I would look at them before spending $$ on more heat.

Munson

12 pointer
Dec 24, 2011
Natural Bridge
Are you physically able to cut/split/stack firewood? My dad has had a Taylor brand for 10yrs or so. It heats his house&shop just fine but it REALLY burns the wood when the Temps drop in the teens. It heats his hot water too.

7mmx2

12 pointer
Nov 8, 2007
KY
Couple questions:

Is your home energy efficient? It's only 12 years old so for the most part yes.

Have you sealed your doors and windows? I plan on taking further precautions to seal further. Our home has 13 doors/windows on the first floor alone. I believe that contributes to the energy loss. With that said the hardwood floors are cold.

Do you have extra insulation in your attic? Insulation is still holding well from 12 years ago.

If you haven't done those things, I would look at them before spending $$ on more heat.
Were hoping to heat the home with a real temperature as opposed to the 69 degrees we maintained last year.

7mmx2

12 pointer
Nov 8, 2007
KY
Are you physically able to cut/split/stack firewood? My dad has had a Taylor brand for 10yrs or so. It heats his house&shop just fine but it REALLY burns the wood when the Temps drop in the teens. It heats his hot water too.
I'm 34 and still young and capable at the moment, god willing.

7mmx2

12 pointer
Nov 8, 2007
KY
It takes a lot of wood to feed those things.
It seems to get harder and harder to make a woodpile as I get older each year.
Yea the thought of hauling wood into my 60's doesn't sound fun but I'm only 34 for now.

Iceman35

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2008
Boone County
I have an aunt and uncle back home that have a wood boiler, though I'm not sure the model.

My uncle is 72 and able to load it with a bobcat using narrow forks. This was key for him because of his age obviously, but also because the larger pieces last longer. He told me once he only has to load it once a day with the large pieces, and Norhern Indianas winters are far worse than anywhere in Kentucky. His water heater is electric, so no issues there.

Not sure of your situation, but he has a couple hundred acres of farmland to get wood from, and cuts enough trash trees and blowdowns from his fence lines and small woods to keep it supplied. Also, anytime anyone has a tree blow over, they bring it to him to get rid of it.

7mmx2

12 pointer
Nov 8, 2007
KY
I have an aunt and uncle back home that have a wood boiler, though I'm not sure the model.

My uncle is 72 and able to load it with a bobcat using narrow forks. This was key for him because of his age obviously, but also because the larger pieces last longer. He told me once he only has to load it once a day with the large pieces, and Norhern Indianas winters are far worse than anywhere in Kentucky. His water heater is electric, so no issues there.

Not sure of your situation, but he has a couple hundred acres of farmland to get wood from, and cuts enough trash trees and blowdowns from his fence lines and small woods to keep it supplied. Also, anytime anyone has a tree blow over, they bring it to him to get rid of it.
Dang I would love to be able to still be doing it at 72. We have 14 acres. We have enough dead trees (ash) to last at least 4-5 years. I would like to think I can acquire more wood from others in that time frame. Thanks for the input Iceman.

Duster

12 pointer
Dec 14, 2001
Up in the woods above Lake Malone
I had a cousin that had a outside wood furnace. One thing he did was build a lean to type shed to keep his winter supply of wood dry. The furnace sit on one end so he didn't have to go far to load it. He hauled several loads of wood off our place Pine and Maple when I was clearing for the homesite. I cut it in 18 inch length sections that would fit his furnace. That may be something to think about if you see someone clearing a homesite.....free wood.

Iceman35

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2008
Boone County
Dang I would love to be able to still be doing it at 72. We have 14 acres. We have enough dead trees (ash) to last at least 4-5 years. I would like to think I can acquire more wood from others in that time frame. Thanks for the input Iceman.
He's just he type of person that loves to farm. I joke with him he'll either die in a tractor or deer hunting, but it's probably true.

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
How do you heat your home? I'm thinking of purchasing a new Natures Way Wood Boiler 170. We blow through about $1400 a year on propane and this will help ease that pain. It's the upfront costs that hurts ($7,500) but will almost eliminate the Propane by about 80% usage. I was hoping to gain some knowledge that you all have gained about boilers and what you would do different with your experience. Thanks for the help with this! I'm an over thinker and need you help.
My wood boiler heats my water, and my house, unless you use propane for lights, and or a cookstove, it will eliminate your propane 100%. Just remember that any source of heat costs, you will find that out when you start cutting firewood. I installed mine simply because I have so much downed wood, that needed cleaning up anyway, and i sort of enjoy the work. Its a decision only you can make.