Out of Zone Elk Hunting

Palegroe

Spike
Dec 18, 2008
Corydon, Kentucy
A buddy and I are thinking of trying to plan an elk hunt for this fall if we get chosen in the lottery or not. If I am reading right you can hunt outside of the elk restoration zone without being chosen in the lotery. Any advice on areas public or private, time of season, anything will be much appreciated. This is my first time elk hunting and my buddy's second he got a lottery tag in 2011 but come up empty handed. We live in western Kentucky and are planning on maybe coming out a time or two before season to so some scouting.

Thanks
Jason

Palegroe

Spike
Dec 18, 2008
Corydon, Kentucy
I'm not looking to move in on anyone or even kill some world record bull or even a bull for that matter. I am an avid hunter wanting to exsperience elk hunting in my home state. I would be happy if I didn't kill anything. I know I need to put time in and earn a good animal. My hopes where to meet and learn from other hunters about elk hunting and maybe even kill a cow in my first couple of years.

CSS archer

BBBC Members
Dec 13, 2001
Central KY
Very few elk are killed out of zone. You might consider the DBNF in Estill or Jackson County, but there just aren't many elk out of the zone.

bowcrazy3

10 pointer
Aug 21, 2009
I think the few out of zone elk killed each year are taken after someone runs across a wayward elk while out in the field, goes and gets an out of zone permit and goes back and kills the elk. Your chances of buying an out of zone elk tag and then going out and locating and killing an elk out of zone are probably akin to winning the powerball.

GSP

14 Pointer
Staff member
Dec 12, 2001
Montrose
I'm not looking to move in on anyone or even kill some world record bull or even a bull for that matter. I am an avid hunter wanting to exsperience elk hunting in my home state. I would be happy if I didn't kill anything. I know I need to put time in and earn a good animal. My hopes where to meet and learn from other hunters about elk hunting and maybe even kill a cow in my first couple of years.
You will be happy then. Save your gas & time

Latest posts