Out of Stater's GOT SOME QUESTONS!!!

Sep 10, 2009
Hey guys,

I have a few questions for you guys and Im hoping ya'll can help me out. My father, brother, and I are headed to your state to try whitetail hunting this year with rifle. My father has hunted Northern Vermont for 42 years and hasnt missed a season, I've hunted since I was 8, now 25 and havent missed a season. We're going to hunt Kentucky for 4 days and then head to Vermont for a week and a half to do our regular hunt there. Im lookin for some locals to help a fellow hunter out. Please help me answer a few questions as Im very confused with the states website.

*Can you hunt Sundays there?

*Can you hunt on private property as long as its not posted or do you have to stay on state land if your from out of state?

*What counties do you think have the highest kill rate AND allows hunting of BUCK AND DOE?

*We've been looking at Hart county but there is a very small area to hunt if we have to stay on state hunting land however Hart county has the second highest rate of kill and also allows kills of both buck and doe.

*Also, Maybe someone has a ton of land that they wouldnt mind giving us permission to hunt on. We're mature long time hunters and would gladly give you a deer for allowing us to hunt your land. I know this is a huge request and understand if someone wants to keep their land to themselves but I figured I'd throw it out there.

*What exactly is a "quota hunt"? I've seen on the states website that the registration is going on now and that its a lottery. Should we register for that?

*I've been looking around on the states website and cant find a "zone map" and would like to know which zones are which. Can you help here?

Thanks alot guys, I appreciate all of your input. Any help at all is appreciated!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2009
Thank you, sir. I appreciate the input. We will be bringing our guitars and playing alittle bluegrass ourselves if we have the energy after the hunts. HAHA

ptbrauch

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2004
The OC
Hey guys,

I have a few questions for you guys and Im hoping ya'll can help me out. My father, brother, and I are headed to your state to try whitetail hunting this year with rifle. My father has hunted Northern Vermont for 42 years and hasnt missed a season, I've hunted since I was 8, now 25 and havent missed a season. We're going to hunt Kentucky for 4 days and then head to Vermont for a week and a half to do our regular hunt there. Im lookin for some locals to help a fellow hunter out. Please help me answer a few questions as Im very confused with the states website.

*Can you hunt Sundays there? Yes

*Can you hunt on private property as long as its not posted or do you have to stay on state land if your from out of state? Not without permission

*What counties do you think have the highest kill rate AND allows hunting of BUCK AND DOE? Only zone 4 does not allow the killing of does. Zone 1 allows unlimited does (with purchase of additional does)

*We've been looking at Hart county but there is a very small area to hunt if we have to stay on state hunting land however Hart county has the second highest rate of kill and also allows kills of both buck and doe. I don't know anything about that. Most public land open for guns is in the Daniel Boone National Forest, in the eastern part of the state. I'd tell you that most of that is zone 3 or zone 4 though.

*Also, Maybe someone has a ton of land that they wouldnt mind giving us permission to hunt on. We're mature long time hunters and would gladly give you a deer for allowing us to hunt your land. I know this is a huge request and understand if someone wants to keep their land to themselves but I figured I'd throw it out there. If I had it, I'd consider it.

*What exactly is a "quota hunt"? I've seen on the states website that the registration is going on now and that its a lottery. Should we register for that? Only a certain number of hunters are allowed to hunt a specific area. Typically this is on state owned wildlife management areas. I'd tell you that success is really no greater or no less than anywhere else, but it does give you more time to hunt since these are generally outside the normal season.

*I've been looking around on the states website and cant find a "zone map" and would like to know which zones are which. Can you help here? Try the .pdf version of the hunting guide: http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/deerguide09deerhunting.pdf

Thanks alot guys, I appreciate all of your input. Any help at all is appreciated!

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Sep 10, 2009
Do you have to have WRITEN permission to hunt on land if its not posted?

How many deer can you take with one license?

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
*Can you hunt Sundays there? Yes.

*Can you hunt on private property as long as its not posted or do you have to stay on state land if your from out of state? You can hunt private land WITH permission.

*What counties do you think have the highest kill rate AND allows hunting of BUCK AND DOE? Anything designated as Zone 1 is usually a good bet for large numbers of deer.

*We've been looking at Hart county but there is a very small area to hunt if we have to stay on state hunting land however Hart county has the second highest rate of kill and also allows kills of both buck and doe. Hart County is as good as any.

*Also, Maybe someone has a ton of land that they wouldnt mind giving us permission to hunt on. We're mature long time hunters and would gladly give you a deer for allowing us to hunt your land. I know this is a huge request and understand if someone wants to keep their land to themselves but I figured I'd throw it out there. Good luck, while probable, not likely.

*What exactly is a "quota hunt"? I've seen on the states website that the registration is going on now and that its a lottery. Should we register for that? Most quota hunts will take some preference points to get drawn for, there are a few such as W Ky. #2 that you may get first year.

*I've been looking around on the states website and cant find a "zone map" and would like to know which zones are which. Can you help here?
KDFWR website, usually in the PDF deer hunting guide.

Finally, for a rifle hunt with nowhere to go, try Peabody, lots of land, open the first week of gun. You do need a Peabody user permit though, you can get that anywhere you get a hunting license. Good luck.......

Last edited:

whitleycotrapper

12 pointer
May 20, 2005
Williamsburg, KY
You are supposed to have Written permission to hunt anyones private land other than youre own.

In state allows 2 deer, I believe out of state is the same. Only 1 buck though statewide.

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
Do you have to have WRITEN permission to hunt on land if its not posted? Posted or not, you just need verbal permission for private land.
How many deer can you take with one license?
A general state tag is good for 1 buck and one doe OR two does. You can buy extra antlerless tags for any zone one county.

Last edited:

KyBucks10

12 pointer
Dec 5, 2008
Burgin, Kentucky
I hunt hart county on my families farm. we have 310 acres there. Its very good hunting. there are a lot of deer there. i dont really know any other the surrounding land owners because i not from hart county, so im not sure if you will be able to get permission to hunt their land. im not sure if i am even going to hunt our land with gun because my uncle is the legal owner of the property and he farms it, so he likes it when people hunt because the deer like his crops. so that means that whenever gun season comes in, there are several people all over the property everyday and its hard to find a good spot without running into someone. but if you can find a hart county farm, id say take whatever is offered. the land in hart county is not a lot of hills. its a lot of open fields with big patches of woods everywhere. it is very easy to navigate and you should see deer. good luck and i hope this helps!!!

Sep 10, 2009
man, you guys are a real help! Keep it coming with all of this great info. Like the MARINES, I feel the love within hunters! HAHA.

yote hunter

12 pointer
Oct 30, 2004
bullitt county
You are supposed to have Written permission to hunt anyones private land other than youre own.

In state allows 2 deer, I believe out of state is the same. Only 1 buck though statewide.
this is wrong you do not need written permission KDFW instituted that around 15 years ago and it was ruled unconstitutional and droped.saying that it really doesnt hurt to get written permision .

JLWHUNTS

Spike
Sep 6, 2009
Do you have to have WRITEN permission to hunt on land if its not posted?

this is wrong you do not need written permission KDFW instituted that around 15 years ago and it was ruled unconstitutional and droped.saying that it really doesnt hurt to get written permision .

You need at minimum verbal permission

Dec 16, 2008
elsewhere
Wow I have never seen that question before," can you hunt on private land if its not posted". Thats kinda like asking if its ok to walk in someones house if the doors not locked.

Latest posts