Oregon Transplant

Discussion in 'Welcome to KentuckyHunting.net!' started by Lumen, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Lumen

Lumen Fawn

Apr 24, 2020
    Bullitt County
    Hey guys,

I moved here about 6 months ago from Oregon. I moved to the Louisville area for work, and I’m living out in Bullitt County. I’m amazed at how good the whitetail hunting is here in Kentucky - I hunted public (Peabody WMA, Etc) and private land this last season and had an absolute blast.

I hunt almost entirely with a bow but I love anything that gets me outdoors. Kentucky is a beautiful state and I can’t wait to have more opportunities to explore the hunting out here.

Thanks for having me!

2. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Welcome Lumen. I’m a Cam Hanes fan. That’s all the Oregon I know.
    Taylorsville Lake WMA is pretty good too, at least it was when I hunted there years ago.

Lumen likes this.
  3. Lumen

Lumen Fawn

Apr 24, 2020
    Bullitt County
    Anymore that may be for the best brother. Oregon has lost its mind and gone crazy in the last decade or so. It’s an amazing place but you’ve got to avoid Portland to really understand the place.

rlb165 likes this.
  4. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Welcome Lumen, just a fyi Louisville is our Portland.

barney, dirtstalker and Lumen like this.
  5. Lumen

Lumen Fawn

Apr 24, 2020
    Bullitt County
    Thanks for the warm welcome! Yeah I’ve noticed some weirdness in Louisville - unfortunately I work in the city. If I had it my way I’d never work in any city be it Louisville or Portland.

bondhu likes this.
  6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Glad to have a transplant. When you get settled try to visit other areas of the state. We are a bit of a mixed bag. Western, central, southern, eastern, and northern ky are all very different places (both the land and the people). Most have an appreciation for each area and enjoy giving each other a hard time over our differences. Enjoy KY and ask any questions you have here.

Lumen likes this.
  7. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Welcome and glad you’re here. Kentucky is a great state as far as hunting and fishing go. Some great folks as well with many of them being right here on this forum. Lots of knowledgeable men and women on this forum. My only question is, have you ever killed a turkey, at 65 yards or better, with a .410, shooting TSS? Just joking of course referring to the TSS thread in the Turkey Hunting section.

1wildcatfan and Lumen like this.
  8. hoene

hoene 8 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Welcome Lumen. I think your going to love Kentucky.

Lumen likes this.
  9. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Welcome Lumen. If you ever have any specific questions about hunting, fishing, hiking or any other outdoor activity, don't hesitate to ask on this forum. This site if frequented by many True Kentuckians who love to provide insights about outdoor activities in our state.

Lumen and carnivore like this.
  10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Welcome,
    Do you talk with an accent?

Lumen likes this.
  11. Lumen

Lumen Fawn

Apr 24, 2020
    Bullitt County
    Thank you so much! I’d love to explore every corner of this great state and soak in everything it has to offer. I keep hearing about these hills out east near West Virginia that I’d like to hunt this next season. I’m a bit blown away by the diversity here in Kentucky - mountains, fields, woods, etc. It’s a beautiful place.

I did actually, twice at 100 yards! Haha! I can honestly say even out West I’ve never taken a shot on an animal past 60 yards. A 40 yard arrow on a deer feels far to me. :) Thank you for the warm welcome - Kentucky is a sportsman’s paradise!

Thanks for the welcome! People here in Kentucky have been unbelievably nice and have always been willing to help out with advice on where I should be hunting or fishing. I’d like to explore more public land this next archery season - Peabody is amazing! I wish it wasn’t a 3 hour drive away; my wife wouldn’t see me for 4 months. ;)

I’ve been asked a few times if I’m Canadian since moving here! Does that count? Haha! Thanks for the welcome.

Feedman and RLWEBB like this.
  12. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Welcome aboard. While in Oregon, did you ever pick up any abalone shells? I have a few that were picked up in the 30's and 40's.

Lumen likes this.
  13. Lumen

Lumen Fawn

Apr 24, 2020
    Bullitt County
    I haven’t but they’re very cool! A few friends of mine collected some long ago but I never had any luck finding them. I spent most of my time fly fishing rainbow trout in the rivers and didn’t hit the coast as often as I’d have liked to.

Carl likes this.