Ordering Live bait....

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by KYBOY, Feb 1, 2016.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Well, with much sadness my family has stopped selling live bait...So I no longer have a cheap(wholesale) reliable source for wax worms etc..Their is no longer a bait store even in my county last I checked. Closest one is Staffordsville I think? Walmart sells some bait but its way overpriced and often bad/dead/small...
    I know some guys use speedy-worm and others buy from a seller on ebay in IN..Looks like 500 wax worms is about $13 plus shipping..Any particular place you guys use? Suggest?

2. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Be careful who who you choose for shipping. I hear that some carriers like to shop wax worms all over the country before they give them to you.

3. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
  4. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    That's a good deal, $30 shipped for a breeding colony of meal worms.

5. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Yeah I was thinking of trying it when I get back home.

6. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    The markup on bait is huge with bait I partly understand. You loose a lot that never gets sold.Especially minnows, wow Id say you loose easily as many as you sell..They are actually very cheap to buy wholesale but expensive to keep if that makes sense..

7. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Yeah makes sense, if a fella had a few chickens they wouldnt go to a complete waste.

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Stay away from Wholesale bait from Ohio they have a thief working for them that likes credit card numbers. The worm depot is where I ordered my last batch of wax worms, they shipped as promised it was the USPS that gave them a free ride for a couple days before I got them. All were in good condition when I did get them. About the only way to get wax worms or meal worms over the winter here is order from up north go figure. The bait shops around here say they can't get them due to the winter but they are common winter ice fishing bait way up north. I would say the worm depot would have other worms available year round with free shipping to your door or PO box.

9. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Thanks Duster..Im going to order all mine this year since my sister closed her shop..We go through a lot of bait and it dosnt make sense spending $3 on 25 wax worms when you can get 500 for $13..

10. flyingnectar

flyingnectar Spike

Oct 30, 2014
    Metcalfe County
    i have good luck when i use to order wax worms by the 1000 for ice fishing online..cant remember were i got them check ice fishing forums like ice shanty for reviews on bait shippers