Opinions on wounded deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by dmullins, Dec 20, 2017.

1. dmullins

dmullins 6 pointer

Aug 3, 2006
    Letcher County
    I shot a very nice buck last Saturday with a muzzleloader. It was very early and after the shot, the smoke hung right in front of me and I did not see the bucks initial reaction. As the smoke cleared, I seen him running and assumed I missed. He ran about 40 yds and then started walking slow and all the sudden he just fell over. He didn't lay down as deer normally do, he fell over sideways. He was in an open field. I looked through scope and couldn't see him after he fell in the high grass. So, I set down to gain my composure, and assumed I had a big buck down. After about five minutes I glass back at the buck and he has his head up. It is wide open field and I am uphill from him so I just decided to sit and watch hoping he would expire. After another five minutes or so he stands up but does not move. I tried to shoot him again but at this point he was about 250 yds and I missed. He just stood there. He was a little hunched up. He then began walking very slowly and I decided to move over into some cedars and work my way toward him to try and get a closer shot. As I weaved through some cedars, I jumped a couple doe that I didn't know were there and they ran toward the buck. At this point I couldn't see him. I am thinking they got him moving. I went down to where he fell and there was just a little blood where he fell. I tracked some sporadic blood over to a fence which went into a thicket. I heard a deer walking slow in the thicket and decided to back off. I waited about two hours and crossed the fence into the thicket. The blood trail got a little better after he went through fence but dried up about 70 yds which is where I last heard a deer walking. The blood was darker red and I am thinking liver shot. I searched some of the thicket with no luck. I couldn't go back Sunday and had to work this week. I was hunting out of town. I plan to go back Friday and look some more. I had really give up Saturday afternoon, thinking he would live. But after reading about liver shot deer, the bucks reaction seems to fit with a liver shot. If that's the case, he should be dead. Based on the info I have given, what are your thoughts?

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    He’s dead and probably not far away.

dmullins likes this.
  3. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    Sounds like a liver show to me. Watch for buzzards.

dmullins likes this.
  4. dmullins

dmullins 6 pointer

Aug 3, 2006
    Letcher County
    Me and dad are going to go back Friday and grid search the area.

5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I bet u find him. I liver shot is death. Just not instant. The farther u go back in the cavity the more time it takes.

dmullins likes this.
  6. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    Sounds like a gut shot by the hunching up but sounds like a liver shot with the color of the blood. Unless you were seeing gut matter mixed with the blood that is. Either way it's a dead deer if that is where you hit him. Gut shot deer take 6 to 10 hours to die in most cases unless they are pushed. Liver shots can be as little as 2 hours but most times about 12. Gut shot deer almost always go towards water as it gives them a really bad case of acid reflux type feeling. Although Friday would make it 6 days from the shot and at the end of the window of her recoveries I have a tracking dog if needed. She most likely won't be able to trail the deer but she will be able to smell him from a good ways away. It probably won't be easy either way as Coyote's almost always get on gut shot deer pretty quick as do buzzards from the added stench they put off. Good luck to you either way.

dmullins likes this.
  7. dmullins

dmullins 6 pointer

Aug 3, 2006
    Letcher County
    Never seen any gut material in blood. Just a dark red color and very spotty. It crossed a narrow drainage ditch and it bled a little better but then got spotty again and just went away. That day I thought he may live but after thinking about it about every minute since and reading about liver and gut shot deer, I believe he is dead somewhere there.

8. supergoat80

supergoat80 10 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    Yeah if it’s good dark red blood I believe you’ll find your buck. Probably not far from where you left off. When you find him post up some pictures for us.

9. preachnhunt

preachnhunt 6 pointer

Jan 8, 2009
    Garrard
    Yes. Probably dead and well worth the effort to find him. A dog would definitely not hurt anything.

10. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Friday is still supposed to be warm, you should be able to smell him without a dog. He is definately dead. Look around any close source of water.

11. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I'm confident u will find him! Just waiting on the pics

12. dmullins

dmullins 6 pointer

Aug 3, 2006
    Letcher County
    Thanks for the reponses. Hope to send pics Friday.

13. flyingnectar

flyingnectar Spike

Oct 30, 2014
    Metcalfe County
    Dead deer based on what your saying. I would put time in and if you can bring a dog

14. dmullins

dmullins 6 pointer

Aug 3, 2006
    Letcher County
    Heading back to look for him in the morning. I got some more help so there will be three of us looking. Wish me luck. I’ll let you how it goes. Thanks guys!

mudhole crossing likes this.
  15. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Buddy I hope u get him and I think u will