Opening Day of KY Squirrel Season Aug 17th - Who is going?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JG26_Irish, Aug 12, 2019.

1. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I would like to hunt some in Indiana forest, Hoosier forest, not really to far from me couple hours

davers likes this.
  2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Maybe. My brother and I have done the opener the last couple years. If he wants to go, I’ll give it a shot.

3. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    Went to the woods today. Beechnuts and hickories are loaded. Found a couple of pignuts that they are hitting hard. Beechnuts should be a blast in September.

barney likes this.
  4. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Where can I get some?

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
  6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
  7. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I've only Squirrel hunted a couple of times in the Hoosier National Forest. Mostly Gray Squirrels there, except around some crop growing farms in the area. There one can find both Fox and Grays, but it wasn't my favorite place to hunt Squirrels. Around 90% of my hunting was on a farm, near Glendale Fish & Game Area, and 98% of the Squirrels there were Fox Squirrels, and I bet in my 50+ years of hunting Squirrels in Indiana I've only bagged 6-8 Gray Squirrels. When I lived and grew-up in Washington, Indiana; I used to hunt that farm every weekend. Later when my family and I moved to Evansville, I use to drive back-up to my old and favorite woods to hunt, but I only hunted there two times per season, due to the fact it was a 70 mile drive, and I didn't always have the time to go except for the two hunts. When I did go up there I always got the limit of 5 Squirrels. Hunting down here in Ky is quite different, with the Gray Squirrels being the main species, which I have to hunt them a little different, as they are harder to see up in a leafy Hickory Tree. I sure miss my old Squirrel woods, and the last time I hunted there was back in 2007, My Brother and I moved to Central Kentucky in the Spring of 2008.

8. I won't go out anymore in early season without treating pants, shirt, socks and boots with Sawyers. Walmart keeps it. I also use the bug repellant bracelets around my ankles and spray myself with Deepwoods Off with max DEET. Even with all of those precautions, I still get a few turkey mites on my legs when hunting Rowan Co. Something about that area. When I was growing up in Southeastern KY I never got bothered by them and we still hunt WV and never encounter them there either. But certain parts of Rowan are infested with those little Bast#ge$. 5 years ago I forgot to use the repellant on opening day and got eaten alive by mites. I could not sleep for 3 weeks. If you do get bitten, you can spray the bites with Biofreeze. It is the only product I have found that will calm the itching at least a little. Oh the joys of warm weather outdoors activities. We do have a few fox squirrels in my neck of the woods but I saw many more of them in Eastern KY on the family farm. 90+% around where I hunt now are greys. Not as much meat on them but they are more tender. They are also a greater challenge to hunt since they are rarely sitting still in the open.

davers likes this.
  9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I use Repel with 40% Deet or Deep woods Off. Spray on my paints and around my ankles, arms and around my ears. Also tuck my paints legs inside my socks and wear high top hunting boots. Where I live, Chiggers are the biggest pest, as we don't have all that many Mosquitoes. Ticks, on my property, are normally gone by Squirrel Season.

10. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    A cheaper route than Sawyer's is to make your own permethrin spray. Rural King sells 10% permethrin. Dilute it to a ratio of 19 parts water to 1 part 10% permethrin. You get .5% spray which is what Sawyer's is. It works great and a lot cheaper. Don't spray it on your skin. Only on your clothes.

Feedman, barney and Dark Cloud like this.
  11. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County

This!! But make sure its a water based premethrin..the oil base stuff has a bit of a smell to it. I make it up in gallon batches..and have a dedicated pump sprayer for it. I rub it on the ol dogs too..does em good. Just dont put it on a cat if you like having it around..it wont make it long.

12. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Lol on the cat

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Been a lot of years since I went after them serious. I still after all these years remember my first. I carried my grandfathers 16 gauge single shot, dad carried the shell's. If I remember right I was 10 years old. I have that gun in my safe now and it will go to one of my grandsons when I pass. Would not take any amount of money for it. Still as tight as new just a little brown rather than blue but not one speck of rust. I should go to Uncle Lee's and buy a box of 16 gauge shells and kill one for old time sake.

14. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Back in the sixties and early seventies ,it was a very special time of year, not so much anymore.

JR PORTER and barney like this.
  15. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I will as always. Squirrel are in my blood, no matter how big of a buck I kill, rabbits I run or birds I chase I’ll never stop squirrel hunt’n..
    These steep arse old mountains army making it easy on me these days though..

cedar creek, Brody and TripleGee like this.