Opening Day of KY Squirrel Season Aug 17th - Who is going?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JG26_Irish, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Well, it is almost opening day for KY squirrel season. I look forward to this more every year. Makes me feel like a kid again (until I try to climb the hills, lol). I plan to be in the woods by daylight this Saturday. Hunting one of my favorite spots in the DBNF. Taking my tried and true 17M2 for the first outing. Are you hunting Saturday? Where and what will you hunt with?

Don't forget to spray for those @#$%ing Turkey Mites. Be sure to post pics of your results along with your weapon of choice so we can all marvel with your hunting prowess or lack thereof.

Irish

SummertimeCarl likes this.
  2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I have not squirrel hunted in decades. I might go Saturday.

3. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    I'll be with you in spirit. Just too darn hot for me and too many bugs. The heat I could probably deal with but, the ticks I can't stand. Seems like every year I still get a few ticks even in November.
    Any more my favorite time to squirrel hunt is right after modern gun.

Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I haven't had a tick/chigger/turkey mite in years since I started using Sawyers. It works great. I use it all deer season long. One good spray on your clothing last weeks, or until washed.

5. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I am looking very much forward to Squirrel Season. will be in my favorite hunting spots on my property, with my CZ 452 in .22 LR in hand.

model70 likes this.
  6. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Potroast and I will be out

7. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I'll be out there. Try to knock out my 6 before it gets to that forecasted 95°

model70 and davers like this.
  8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I may go. The tree rats are getting way too thick in my area.

davers likes this.
  9. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Gotta have openin weekend dumplins.

TripleGee and barney like this.
  10. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Back in my younger years I lived for opening day. Been 30 years since I hunted a Squirrel. Don't interest me any more.

11. I moved 30y ago to Ashland and not having a good place to hunt, I just quit squirrel hunting. Fast forward to about 2012, and I bought a nice accurate 22, something I never had as a kid and started hunting again. I truly wish that I had not wasted all of those years. Today squirrel hunting with my rifle is one of my favorite hobbies. Yes it is hot on opening day, and no, I could care less if I get my limit or even kill a squirrel but I will be in the woods. The ticks are a PITA and it will be better in the fall but for a while, I will be 12yrs old again going hunting all by myself again. Love it. In 2012, I moved next door to the DBNF which helps a lot to hunt anytime I want to. It is like having my own private 875,000 acre game preserve. So few folks squirrel hunt these days that there is little hunter pressure and finding a secluded ridge is easy. Try that in deer season.

12. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Seems early this year, hit the pines and maybe the pignut hickory, love early season squirrel hunting, was when I got taught to hunt 30 years ago, I probably work Saturday but will be after them Sunday morning

davers likes this.
  13. model70

model70 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    Love opening day of about anything! Nothing better than shootin squacks with my cz 452 .22, but I also have a new double barrel cz that needs to be blooded. I'll probably take my double out for some fun.

14. SummertimeCarl

SummertimeCarl Fawn

Jan 16, 2018
    Louisville
    I'll be out there opening day with a 20 gauge Rem 1100. Haven't decided if I'll bring my walker hound or not just yet.

I'll hunt opening day for opening day's sake, then wait for the ticks to thin out before I go back out again.

15. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I remember the very first time my Grandfather took me and my Brother on our very first Indiana Squirrel Hunt, way back on August 15, 1956. We were too young to hunt, but our Granddad got two Fox Squirrels that morning with his old Springfield Model 1929 Single barrel 16 gauge. We each got to hold the bagged Squirrels though.