Open Carry question

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by ocbowhunter, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.

Yes, they have needles. Louisville even has a needle exchange, so the junkies can get clean ones. Yay for progressive thinking.

And, it's like High Rack said - since KY killed the pill mills, heroin is the big thing.

2. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    But none of these have anything to do with open carry or concealed carry. All they illustrate is that, as with anything, mistakes can be made.

3. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    The only reason that open carry causes concern among the city folk and soccer moms is because they've been taught to fear guns. With all the pro-gun laws that have been passed in recent times, the pendulum is swinging back the other way. However, I do see the point on what is legal vs what is a good idea. While a bit extreme in getting out the message, I think that if more people open carried, the more people would overlook it.

But if I was to open carry, but look the part of a soccer dad, why would the first thought be that I was some low-life and not just an off duty LEO?

4. Brown Dogs Matter

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I've seen all types open carry..from thugs in the west end, to well dressed folks in the eastern part of the county. My opinion is as I've stated.

If you (not anyone in particular, just the general "you") do insist on open carry, then do us all a favor: get a retentuon holster and train with it. Learn what to do and how to react if someone attempts a gun grab. Contrary to popular belief, there is way more to carrying a gun than the ability to shoot. Tactics and mindset matter a great deal, and open carrying in an open top holster displays a lack of either.

When I do "open carry" - either in the field or the few times I'm working and in plain clothes for training or court - I carry in a Safariland rig that has retention similar to my duty rig. Not only does that keep muscle memory the same, but it provides defense against a gun grab.

5. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    My thought on open carry. Around here I wouldn't do it but don't care if anyone else does as its their right. I don't think anything about seeing someone carrying those that do, law enforcement or not, are simply afraid of guns. Lived in South Dakota for a year the vast majority of people there open carried. I can tell ya this when you walk into a bank and everyone in the place is packing you feel like anyone would have to be stupid to try to rob the joint. The benefit to open carry is if everyone else did it, it would reduce crime because nobody is gonna try anything there. Here on the other hand I feel like it could put a target on your back as the first person a criminal is gonna shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    I've got a grandson that's overdosed two times already. In the first case he was a passenger in the car. The second time he ran into a ditch. Basically dead if not for the police giving him the antidote. I thought great. At least he'll get locked up for dui. Nothing. Dumped in an ambulance. Six hours at the hospital. Back on the street. Had a vehicle full of needles and other crap.
    I think we need a shoot your local heroin dealer law.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

7. Brown Dogs Matter

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I'm good with that. Matter of fact, it's my default setting if one of my kids gets wrapped up in dope. Kill enough of them, the rest will quit selling. At least, to my kids.

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    It's such a huge problem with no end in sight. I have friends that work in the medical field directly related to heroin use. I've talked repeatedly with law enforcement. I've spoken with prosecutors. The problem is so overwhelming and I've yet to hear anyone say what they think the answer is. Rehab does not work. Incarceration does not work. It's truly sad.

9. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    The war on drugs is a big joke.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

10. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    The only off duty LEO's that open carried I've seen in any number of states I've been to ALWAYS had their badge on their belt besides their gun.

The ones I know personally always carry concealed carry wile off duty.

11. sheperd

sheperd 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2003
    Bardstown, Ky
    I grew up seeing open carry all the time. Never thought twice about it. Don't see a thing wrong with anybody doing it.
    I also think that people who feel sorry for people that do because they have low self esteem must be very full of themselves. Not pointing fingers or calling anybody out just stating my opinion.

12. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    I have no problem with open carry. Can anyone support the opinion that OCer's are targeted first, or is it a strawman argument against OCer's preventing crime from happening in the first place?

Seems there should be plenty of examples if the first target theory is correct.

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Open carry if you want don't bother me one bit, I do find it funny to see the guy all dressed in black armed to the teeth, two handguns in drop down's and a couple big knives in Wal-Mart with his wife and three little kids in tow. I have seen him several times in one store, every time dressed the same. Don't know if he is a want to be swat team member but other than his black outfit sure don't look like one. The shoulder length hair, bad teeth and tat's on his neck are kind of a giveaway.

14. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    Maybe we should amend the Constitution so that it bars everyone with long hair,bad dental plans, and tattoos?

15. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013

Someone should write Bernie a letter. I'm sure he could get a commitment for free dental work, tattoo removal and haircuts for life.