OnX Hunting App

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by redlickranch, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

I know for a fact to not trust the property lines they have marked. It was even wrong on public land. I wish I had've kept my $30 at this point. Gonna test it more over the next few months.

Semp likes this.
  2. jblack1

jblack1 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I hunt a private farm and OnX shows the actual property lines at least 1/2 mile away, it's nowhere near accurate.
    I can be standing on the property and it shows that I'm on someone else,
    the property owner has shown me the markers and has it very well marked with paint, he was raised on the property over 50 years ago.

Semp likes this.
  3. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Yeah that’s all I used if for. Worked great. I had the offline map just in case. I was using for public ground.

4. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    We own 136 acres and on the app it says 106.

5. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Yeah I’d be weary of its accuracy. I looked at one once on someone else had. I don’t remember what the name was but it had me owning a lot about mile up our road.

6. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Just curious are you guys deep in in the mountains? Have used it a lot in past 3 years and have never had it off that much. Elk hunting Pike co. last year it did throw off we’re I was compared to where it thought I was but only by yards.

7. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    In my area it is mostly accurate. Couple farms I know the boundaries are off by a smidge. And one, it has the very corner of the property open. Looks like one of the lines didn’t meet the other to make a corner. Other then then some recently sold property has diff owners it accurate. Nothing is gonna be 100%

8. jblack1

jblack1 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I will say this though, The County that I live in does have property boundaries listed online at the PVA website.
    The County that I was referring to, does not have any kind of mapping online whatsoever,
    it doesn't even have a PVA website and it's only one county NE of my residence.

mike007 likes this.
  9. flyingnectar

flyingnectar 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2014
    Metcalfe County
    I like it for maps and pins and agree property lines can be Off for sure. My farm is close though. I had an outfitter last year a week before rifle season putting up stands on my neighbor’s land. Went and talked to him as he was doing it because I knew something was wrong. Come to find out he told me he leased another neighbors farm and was using this app for boundary. So I told him he was wrong and not to trust the app. He seemed puzzled but trusted me as I told him the lines were not accurate and I can get the owner on the phone. It was kind of funny as he called the 4 guys and two trucks to pull all the stands they just put up.

10. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    The property lines are crap for the most part. It says I don't own part of my farm which I've owned for over 33 years. I don't know where they get their info but it is questionable. I even wrote to them and told them of the error. They never responded or corrected the wrong property lines.

jblack1 likes this.
  11. perrymax

perrymax 10 pointer

Jun 6, 2002
    Bullitt Co, Ky.
    Every person that hunts out west on public land has Onx maps. You really cant hunt out there without it due to checkerboard public/private land

12. mike007

mike007 Fawn

Aug 16, 2018
    glasgow
    mine doesn't either. they refer you to an online paid one that you can use for $10/day.

13. mike007

mike007 Fawn

Aug 16, 2018
    glasgow
    did they send you an email to renew for 30% off?

14. mike007

mike007 Fawn

Aug 16, 2018
    glasgow
    look for emails on renewal discount too, I got one.

15. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Its a tool at best, a slow one at that. Would not argue in court with it as your only evidence. Try navigating to a way point in the dark. One minute your 143 yards away walking straight to it, check again and your 73 yards, check again your 207. Is what it is. Some of the data is outdated along with some of the aerial images but that could be said for all those apps.