OnX Hunting App

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by redlickranch, Oct 11, 2020.

1. redlickranch

redlickranch 8 pointer

Dec 11, 2007
    Bullitt County
    My neighbor uses this app all the time and was showing me how it worked last weekend when I was picking up corn.

I just signed up this week and it has been pretty handy so far. It will show you property lines and allows you to mark way points for stands, feeders, or your truck.

If you are interested use the code "mossyoak' to get 20% discount for any of the membership levels.
    Mike

onxed.png

map.png

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  2. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Does it give you info of the property’s? Like lot size, owner name?

3. redlickranch

redlickranch 8 pointer

Dec 11, 2007
    Bullitt County
    Yes, it gives you name, acres, and address of where the tax bill is sent. I found the property next to me is 55 acres and the owner is in Florida.

ranched.png

4. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Cool, can you check unlimited amount of properties?
    I’ve been using HuntStand which will give you the property lines and name of owner, but you can only check 10 properties for free. This appears to be better

5. kriggs

kriggs 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2016
    I started using it few months ago and really like it so far. The property owner and acreage info is addictive, can really learn a lot about land around your area. Made a scouting trip to Knox and the ability to mark a spot and walk directly to it is nice.

6. kriggs

kriggs 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2016
    Unlimited with a paid subscription. I think it was only around $30 a year for one state. I like HuntStand better for weather, wind and moon data. Get that in the free version so I still use it for that.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  7. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    You down load by state and can check anything you want in that state. I dont remember how many states you can download at a time but I have 4 states rite now. Be for warned the property lines are not always accurate. Example “ it shows a house and around 9.5 acres of a good sized farm that has been in the same hands for over 35years as belonging to the wrong person. The hunt elite yearly membership is pricy.

8. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I would say that there is a lot of property lines that are wrong on those apps .
    If I am not mistaken those property lines are from either USDA or PVA and those lines were drawn in by property owners.
    Some of those landowners did not draw the lines where they belonged and some property owners just simply could not tell where the exact lines were from a aerial photo.
    When I bought my farm , my line was drawn in wrong and I had to correct it. I am saying 55+ acres wrong.

jblack1 likes this.
  9. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Since I usually travel a lot of waterfowl (and deer), I have both Huntstand and OnX. They are both useful. I have a friend with a bear tag in MD (lottery there) and I'm trying to put him on a good one on public land that I know about. We've been texting back and forth, I've been sending him pins on where to scout. I'm sending him for this bear, and he saw it yesterday! Hunt is in 2 weekends I think. But the whole scouting weekend was based on pins in OnX and some maps out of Huntstand.

IMG_0238.PNG

BuckNest likes this.
  10. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I had it but let it lapse. I have to start hunting a lot of public ground this year. Im going to re subscribe because of that

11. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    What all can you do with free version? Not concerned about property lines.

12. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’ve been using On X for a few years. I think it works great. I trust the property lines.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  13. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    If you are military (active, guard, veteran, retired) and can prove it, they do a lot better than the 20% discount.

I’ve used it in several states and once you understand how to use the layers and tools it more than pays for itself.

Only complaint i have is that it is a battery hog on your phone.

14. redlickranch

redlickranch 8 pointer

Dec 11, 2007
    Bullitt County
    Save 30% on new onX Hunt Premium and Elite Memberships. Use code THANKS30 on http://onxmaps.com/hunt

FYI... Now 30% off

CRFmxracer likes this.
  15. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Topo maps and dropping pins. Can’t see property lines or owners address