Oneida Screaming Eagle -Arrow Rest

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by Jman, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    Got a question for anyone with some Oneida knowledge.

Not too long ago I obtained a Screaming Eagle in excellent condition. It was manufactured in the late 80's I'm guessing. The window/shelf is pretty narrow as compared to bows today. It came with a TM Hunter rest and I've been shooting it using 2" straight Blazer vanes. The window is narrow enough that I'm still getting some clearance issues on the side of the riser, even with the 2" Blazers. I'm thinking abut switching to 5" helical feathers in order to deal with the contact issue. If I do, what arrow rest would be best for helical vanes on older bows with clearance issues? Will the TM Hunter present a problem with a helical set up? I think I remember Golden Key producing one back in the 80's with a button type unit coming through the riser. I think it was a "Huntmaster" maybe. I remember seeing experienced shooters back then using them with feathers. I don't recall seeing anyone trying the TM Hunter with helical feathers.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure that simply moving my rest away from the face of the riser will get my center shot out of alignment. A "drop-away" rest might be an option but the shape of the riser doesn't look conducive to one of those either. Hmm........

Anyone with any experience or memory of what might work best? Any advice appreciated.....

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I'd shoot either a springy or a NAP Center rest. They just work well with those bows. If you could find an old Bodoodle Timberdoodle, that'd be another fine option

Bowonly86 likes this.
  3. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    If it's as loud as I remember them being I'd hang it on the wall and keep it as a decoration :) !! I had a couple of buddies with them and from what I recall they had a distinct "POP" when shot. These guys were shooting bottle caps at 60 yards, but they were loud. I don't recall what rest they used.

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Mine came with a TM hunter also.

5. clovis67

clovis67 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2008
  6. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Only thing I've found to quiet them is a bow fishing arrow lol. That's what I do with mine. It's perfect for snap shooting fish

1wildcatfan likes this.
  7. clovis67

clovis67 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2008
    I surely am lookin forward to snap shootin some fish! Or even just seeing a fish.I have had enough of the cabin fever thingy....I went down to the river this past weekend..but all I could find was ducks setting in the backwater.... Bring on some sunshine and some slime.. I’m ready to Whaaaack some carp!

1wildcatfan and Meatstick like this.
  8. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    In order to hopefully simplify things, I ordered some 2" feathers today. I'm going to fletch them straight and see how that goes. I think I'll still get some slight rubbing against the inside of the riser but the feathers will be more forgiving than the plastic.....

9. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    Bowhunter269........your memory is CORRECT! I bought a Pearson Spoiler brand new in '91 with 80lb draw weight. Very noisy too but not as loud as the Screamer! LOL!

10. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county
    Bodoodle timberdoodle works great on oneidas. I had two screaming eagles years ago when I shot fingers. Had timberdoodles on both

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I have two older Oneidas setup for bowfishing. Haven't had a carp "jump the string" yet due to noise. :) they pack a punch.

rabbit dawg and Meatstick like this.
  12. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    Not too familiar with the Timberdoodle. I looked at a picture of one. Is the concept having one guide at 3, the other at 7-8'ish, and the cock vane at 12?

13. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Cock vane out, at 9 o'clock.