One good thing about all the cold and snow

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Trapper Delk, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    In our past few years it hasn't been cold enough to keep ground frozen this time it has if anything is below freeze line it'll make it, if it's dug in for a mild winter it's not.. I have a jar on my fleshing table that I turn upside down on ticks I've seen them live for 2 weeks, one night before last was frozen before I got all hides combed out

KYote-Krusher likes this.
  2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Never heard of seed ticks til 2019. Now they are the devil

jblack1 and JR in KY like this.
  3. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    They been around a while. took me a long time for i heard of them.
    i'd say they are thicker in some places, than others.
    kinda takes away from the tiny ticks, just being babies.
    an invasive species of its own.

4. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Im a firm believer that if you aren’t wearing Permethrin in the woods, you are asking for one of the nasty diseases. Ticks suck and they are here to stay.

I don’t want to speak for Trapper, but I don’t think anyone is claiming ticks will be wiped off the Kentucky landscape, we can sure as hell hope though.

Weather/climate play a role in the survival of all things though.

“Host-seeking, engorged, and developing ticks suffer daily per-capita mortality in the field, so the ticks in any one particular life stage decrease in their numbers over time. This seasonal decay in tick abundance can generally be described by a simple negative exponential function; however, the fit to this function is not perfect and the observed variation is attributable to temperature and relative humidity (Vail and Smith 1998, Ogden et al. 2004). Ticks spend most of their lives off the host, so mortality rates in their environment can have a large impact on whether and where ticks can establish local populations, and if they do become established, how abundant they can become in a given area. Specific causes of mortality include: 1) freezing in the winter; 2) dehydration in dry spells in the summer; 3) overheating in summer; 4) drowning in flood water at any time of year; and 5) exhaustion of energy reserves in host-seeking ticks due to failure to find a host.”

Trapper Delk likes this.
  5. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    My Vet says it takes 3 weeks of freezing temps to affect ticks. I am hoping that the ice speeds that up.

xbokilla likes this.
  6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    You would think with the cold and the snow it would kill the bugs. But my Cows still scratching LIce. Had to treat them yesterday.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  7. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Yeah I'm not half as stupid as some may think,. Like I said before if they dug in for a mild winter they'll be frozen

woodsman92 likes this.
  8. keeruss8

keeruss8 6 pointer

Jun 19, 2016
    Marrowbone
    Plenty of ticks in the U.P. of MI and in Canada

drakeshooter likes this.
  9. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    One could only hope but I'll gladly treat my clothes rather than deal with this ice. My windshield wipers have been buried for a week lol

Trapper Delk likes this.
  10. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    They are probably buried up in mouse fur in a warm mouse burrow.

I hate the damned things as much as anyone! I do WISH the cold would kill them off but they are well adapted to it.

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I understand that they are able to survive,. But,but,but,but,. Mother nature has its ways just like yotes, and foxes if they had a case of mange they probably won't make it, we had a prolonged cold spell that we don't usely have, and it'll be hard on everything from ticks to deer and turkeys,. Up North there winter is always much worse everything is going to dig in deeper, yotes and fox fur is nothing like ones here they look like big puff balls compared to here,. Trying not to get off track of ticks and there probably won't be a noticeable difference even with fleas they live on beavers year round and under water part of the time

12. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Nah, this has been a decent cold spell and a little more winter weather than we’ve had in recent years but I don’t think it’s quite enough. As mentioned above, I’d say 2-3 straight weeks of frozen ground which would be temps way below freezing and we’re just not gonna get that here.

13. grinder

grinder 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    The ground is really not frozen that deep, that blanket of snow has kept it warm. Looks like snow is thawing from beneath. I bet it didnt put a dent in the little [email protected]$tards

hunt and drakeshooter like this.
  14. If cold bothered ticks you wouldn’t have any in Canada. I guarantee you if you walk through the thicket behind my house this summer without permethrin you won’t be buying this snap killed then off lol.

hunt likes this.
  15. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Up North there winter is always colder so ticks dig in deeper, here we've had mild winters winters last few, so now if they didn't get deep enough some got frozen, yes ground has been frozen deep this year 2 times I've had to use an chopping ax to chop out trap beds ,. I never said there was going to be "no more ticks" I deal with them year round things that lot of people don't see or pay attention to. There is a difference in one farm 10 miles from another,

Carl and Feedman like this.