Oldies but goodies!!!!

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Lady Hunter, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Word has gotten out that I like "old stuff" in my kitchen so lately, a few folks have contacted me about stuff that they want to "go to a good home" because it was their parents'/grandparents' but has no place in their modern kitchens.

I've gotten quite a few pieces of old Club Aluminum cookware, including some turquoise blue pieces that I absolutely love plus several pieces of cast iron (in various conditions from "like new" to "are you sure there's iron underneath all that stuff????").

Another friend was cleaning out her mother's house & found pieces of cast iron AND club aluminum. I was paying her for those (not much but anything would help them with her mom's nursing home bills) and glanced over & saw an old canner poking out from behind a pile of junk. When I asked what she was gonna do with it, she said "it's broken - go on & take it if you want it." I grabbed that sucker up & had it in the car so fast it'd make your head spin! Had to order a few new tie downs, a new vent pipe, a new weight, and jar racks but for about $75 in parts, I ended up with an almost $400 All American canner!

[​IMG]

Plus a whole bunch of half-gallon canning jars they'd found around the house as well.

I'm not sure how old the AA is. That model (925) is still in production but I've never run across any reference of one having a bail like this one does OR the type of jar rack (rusted all to heck) that came with it. My friend says she can remember her grandmother canning with it on the family farm every year when she was a little girl so somewhere mid 1960's or earlier. Anyway, it's safely stored in the basement along with my other 2 yard sale All Americans in case of a zombie apocalypse (or to use out on the camp stove on the deck since those are notorious for melting Prestos).

Fast forward a few weeks & the same friend had gotten to her mom's shed & found ANOTHER canner and asked if I'd want it. Sure! The more the merrier... Got it (and more jars) home and started researching. It's a bit more obscure than the All American. It's a "Steamliner Model A" that was made in the 1940's by Lakeside Aluminum in Menominie Wisconsin before they sold out to National Presto in 1944. (Lakeside was well known for producing tail fuses for bombs in WWII but the War Production Board allowed them to continue producing a small quantity of canners as well.)

From there, I went on to discover that several folks had been able to refurbish Steamliners using parts designed for National Presto's #7 canners. And Presto actually still carries parts for those so I went on & ordered a new gasket & air vent. I despise using gauges on my canners so I did some more research & found a vent pipe which would fit the #7s and also work with Presto's 3 piece weight set. Ordered those too. Along with a new jar rack (since the existing one was a rusted mess).

The last pieces came in last night so this morning, I scrubbed the old canner up & started replacing parts. Then I crossed my fingers & fired up a test run. She came up to pressure FAST and worked like a charm - no leaks & the weights worked perfectly (and turns out the old gauge which looks to be original is only a couple of pounds off). While the pressure was coming down, I prepped a batch of venison veggie soup (new recipe - I'll have to let y'all know how it turns out) & got it jarred up and ready to go....

[​IMG]
    I'm seriously torn now. I'd originally planned to refurb it & sell it since I already have SEVEN canners (3 All Americans and 4 Prestos - I can run all 4 Prestos in the house at once plus 2 All Americans on the deck if there's a lot being canned) but it's a beauty... and it's actually better made than modern Prestos. It may just have to stay... I could easily see it becoming my favorite canner for small batches.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  2. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    Feel free to share pictures of club cookware. I’ve ate many meals from them.

JR in KY likes this.
  3. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    I'll have to get some. Only pics I'm finding are of my original set....
    [​IMG]

I've gotten a few more of them, almost a full set of turquoise, an little coral colored pan with lid, and a few strays (yellow & white) that aren't in the best of shape. At one point, I had a full set of the harvest gold but it seems to have disappeared somewhere over the years (but I'm still looking for it).

4. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    Same color I grew up with.

Mt Pokt likes this.
  5. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    Same olive color Club that fed me a youngster. (At 48 I'm still a youngster by some measures.)

I lucked into a couple of Club pieces at local rummage sales over the years.

barney and slobear like this.
  6. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I remember those as well.

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I love the old canners and that big All American is a great find!

I have both of my grandmother's old canners, a 1960 presto 21b, and an All American that is at least from the 50's still in use. I had 4 canners going at once back in the summer!

8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I stopped at a yard sale today because I saw tool handles sticking out of a barrel. Good old handled tools are precious to me. I ended up buying a vintage bow rake and 2 vintage forged spades for $5 each. Paid the man and then nearly stumbled over an All American 930 as I made my way to the truck. The canner was still shiny for the most part, handles, gauge, and knobs looked brand new and it didn't look like it had been used much at all. It had a little powdery corrosion in a streak down one side. I opened it up and found both canning rack and basket in great shape but the inside of the pot and underside of the lid had a good layer of corrosion, mostly on one side. About the time I noticed that the underside of the lid had some minor pitting as well, the owner hollered and said give me 10 bucks and load it up. I screwed the lid back down and handed him his money. If it had been cracked there was a hundred dollars or more worth of spare parts for my other canners!

When I got home I found the pot to be in excellent like new condition with no pitting, and still shiny after a cleaning. The lid had a couple of shallow pits in one spot on the sealing rim, bummer. New lid ordered!

9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    OH HECK YEAH!!!!!! A 930 is the beast that'll let you stack quarts, isn't it???? I'd about give my eye teeth for one of those! (I've got two 921s and a 925.)

CONGRATS on a heckuva find!!!!!

barney likes this.
  10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks, and yes it's a monster! I'm also thinking of the mushroom soil block sterilization capacity aside from holding 14 quart jars!

11. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Oh yeah, I was talking to a lady at the Farmer's Market a few weeks ago & all she uses are big All American canners for that. Awesome find - whatever you use it for!

barney likes this.
  12. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Dang! Theres one of those AA down in my backer barn. I don't think it has the bail though.
    Son got it for free and thought he would cook Shine in it, but never tried it out.

Lady Hunter and barney like this.
  13. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Restore that baby & start using it!!!!!

barney likes this.