Old wood stove - would it be safe to use or ????

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Lady Hunter, Jan 12, 2021.

1. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    Growing up we had just a janky dented rusty looking metal box for a wood stove. Graduated to a fischer though around high school. It was nice.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    jblack1 and barney like this.
  2. Brody

Brody 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    I'm partial to the Ashley woodburners,good success over the yrs with them.

drakeshooter likes this.
  3. Brody

Brody 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    LH, great looking stove. I'd definitely keep and try to use.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  4. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    This seller recommends furnace cement within the "condition" section.

https://www.chairish.com/product/2453646/antique-french-cast-iron-stove

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/refractory-cement-vs-furnace-cement-do-i-grind-it-down.125717/

Meanwhile...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  5. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    His mother's poor ole wood cook stove was hit by a bullet. Guess the meal wasn't suitable, lol..

6. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    LH,

That is a work of art!

The guys at Lewis Metal Works (Cummins Ferry Road and 127 in Salvisa) installed my Buck stove in my cabin at the farm. They made a metal frame to hold the stovepipe on the outside of my cabin. The knew what they were doing and they did a great job. There aren't many welders I'd trust with something like that. I'd trust Tim.

7. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    THANK YOU!!!! I'll try to get in touch with them today. I'd been calling around, trying to find someone who did that kind of work (insurance requires that it be "professionally installed") and everyone I talked to would only install stoves that they sold. We're wanting to get it fixed & installed in our walk out basement as supplemental/emergency heat.

8. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    Depends on your insurance company. Farm bureau is very picky but, willingness let you do it if you jump through their hoops. Others just say no problem but, you might pay a higher premium.
    I bought a new double wide last year and had a prefab fireplace installed with the intent of sticking an insert in it. I had to buy an insert specifically made to do what I wanted and get it professionally installed in order for their underwriters to sign off on it.
    It's a small catalytic insert and the brochure says 8 hr burn time. You basically have enough coals to restart it after 8 hours if you stick in a couple of seasoned sticks of hardwood. Down to 20 degrees I have to open windows.
    I like the catalytic burn. Gets every btu out of your wood. Absolutely no green wood in a catalytic stove.

9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    State Farm said we'd have to provide invoices showing that it was "professionally installed."

10. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Call them back and say " Well now that's not being very neighborly ?" And see what they say.

KYote-Krusher, Feedman, Brody and 4 others like this.
  11. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    The house we are in now is a early 90s house, the fireplace inspector said the fireplace we have would never pass inspection because it didnt clear the roof by enough and a few other things. They literally said there was no way to get it to meet current building codes, if we could the cost was going to be enormous.
    Got in contact with some contractors that installed a ventless gas system--we never use it. But yes we had to do all that stuff for insurance and loan closing, invoices and all that.
    They are pricklers about woodburning stuff--what the hell would we do without going to all these regulations--and how we ever survived the last 2 million years without all this bs... beyond me.

12. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Ugh. But in their defense, a family on our road accidentally burned their house down a few years ago when they left a woodstove with the damper open & went to a basketball game in town. Apparently the stove and/or pipes overheated & set the house on fire. It was a total loss - and only 6 months after the husband passed away due to cancer.

Hopefully we can find a way to make this work & cross all the "t's" and dot all the "i's"!

kyhunter99 likes this.
  13. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    We had a chimney fire ourselves. But it was due to failure to do routine maintenance. House didnt suffer any damage because the hardcore way they built the chimneys back then i guess, our pipe ran through it. The old metal box had to go though. Insert fischer stove here.

14. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Drill out the end of the crack to stop it and and have it brazed.

KYote-Krusher and bondhu like this.